Toyota - You ARE joking! - henry k
My daughter has just had her Yaris serviced by a main dealer.
A special price for older vehicles £140. No complaints at that.
Plus coolant change & brake fluid change. More ££s than expected but convenience etc. etc. OK

Centre exaust box rotting so best to have all replaced Sir, as it may be impossible to split it from the rest of the exaust .

A small sum of £894.94 but that does include VAT and 1.2 hours labour.

I find that formal cost just a little surprising :-(((
Do they really expect the business?
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Aprilia
Service manager got his eye on his Christmas bonus. Suprised it didn't need new discs and pads too!
Suprised it didn't need new discs and pads too!

>>
Oh I forgot to include... This is just an advisory...the disks are corroded on the inside surface ( where they think I cannot look?) and will need replacing in the not too distant future.

And I also forgot the other advisory ....anti rollbar bushes at £264

So is that a New Year bonus too?

Aprilia, I trust your responses.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Pugugly {P}
Is this the BMW 5 Series Yaris ?!
Toyota - You ARE joking! - PhilW
Presume the exhaust now looks something like this
mclellansautomotive.com/photos/F6594.jpg

(Sorry - just taking advantage to show pic of my favourite ever car)

or maybe this
blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_380/naojin-diary/3...g
--
Phil
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Chad.R
And I also forgot the other advisory ....anti rollbar bushes at
£264

They tried to do me for that one too - said it was a MOT failure and wanted £200+ for the bushes. It's quite happily passed 2 MOTs since then.....
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Falkirk Bairn
I highlighted the same scenario @ a Honda garage = £61 to put a Engine Mgt Light out BUT they wanted to do the following as well:

1)Disks & pads
2) AC Condenser
3) Suspension bushes @ rear
4) Cat needs replacing....................

I said no thanks - went to an independent who said nothing was safety related or urgent
2nd Honda dealer said new tyre (3mm left) and the disks are thinning

UP-Selling is alive and kicking in many service departments - somebody has to pay for the Xmas party, Xmas booze and the staff bonuses
Toyota - You ARE joking! - yorkiebar
Not sure where you are in the country but........

i can come to you, collect your car, take you to where you want to go, fit the new exhaust, wait around and collect you and promise a slightly smaller bill than that for you sir !!!! ;-)
Toyota - You ARE joking! - colinh
Can we assume you weren't a respondent in the German ADAC customer satisfaction survey?
Let's be honest, we all know that franchise dealer servicing is a rip-off.
Service departments are located next to the showroom, which is on some mega-expensive prime retail site. So dealers are paying top-dollar for each square metre of workshop. Then all the 'branding' etc has to be paid for - then the receptionist, the 'Service Advisor' (i.e. would-be technician who can't make the grade). The end result is that your £7/hour technician is charged out at £80/hour and the service manager is under tremendous pressure to 'upsell' and there is no money for proper training (these days a technician can reach 'Master Technician' in a year from a standing start!).
If the NHS was as inefficient as the retail motor trade there would be a 10 year waiting list for maternity beds.

What we need is workshops on industrial estates. Most modern service jobs are straightforward fluid/filters/pads and are designed to be done by anyone with basic training and basic tools. You need one or two really bright blokes for electronics and more complex mechanical jobs - and pay them well.

If its any consolation the dealers are suffering from their own labour rates! Because work is scarce in the service dept the service managers often 'bulk up' prep work on incoming p/x's and overcharge the showroom (the blokes in the showroom won't know a thrust washer from a dishwasher, so its easy to get away with) and so the p/x ends up on the forecourt at an inflated price and doesn't sell.....
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Marc
I have to disagree with the above. I've just had SWMBO's RAV4 serviced at a main dealer and I reckon it was competitive compared to what a decent independent would charge round here (Berks).

Cost was £260 all in for a major "B service" and that included a small discount for older cars. B service included oil, oil filter, gearbox oil, diff oil, ATF change, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and the usual "visual checks". I reckon that was particularly good value. I didn't get any advisory notes.

I would have to agree that Toyota parts and accesories are expensive however.

Regarding the exhaust quote, I personally would never use a main dealer for consumables anyway (ie tyres, brakes and exhausts) Although having said that, certain people reckon OE exhausts last a lot longer than aftermarket.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - bell boy
yes marc i agree £45 of bits and a bit of labour seems reasonable at £260
Id be happy to collect and service your car too sir !

Will be done for your return !
and he was ;-(
It all depends where you are. You find a reputable garage (ie not under the arches) in this part of the country who'll do all that cheaper. Main dealer cost was comparable with a trusted independent I use for MOTs.

If you're happy to service your own car(s) yourself that obviously works for you. For me it doesn't.
i live in yorkshire marc,it wasnt really a slag honest, more an observation,im still realing from paying my factor £6.32 for a wheel cylinder delivered to work today as it was 4 pence dearer than last week
No offence was meant from me either!

But 3 hours labour at a main dealer is expensive and thats what I guess they would be charging for or around that anyway.

Depends on what you call a good independant but if they are charging that much they are either very good or have very expensive rates etc . or both !

i'm northants and would love to be able to charge at those rates
None taken. I always shop around for quotes beforehand and it's never a case of just dumping the car at the main dealer and paying whatever they demand.

I've just checked the invoice - it was 2 hours labour for which they charged £117. The rest was for parts and VAT.

I guess that labour rate is expensive but no more so than the Ford and Vauxhall franchises I've used down here, or when I got an independent to service the Volvo we used to own.

If we owned a Land Rover or Jeep model you could easily double or triple that amount. That would be excessive IMO.

Just to a clarify, all I was trying to say is that in my experience Toyota dealers are fairly/reasonably priced in the market for main dealer servicing. Obviously I realise not everyone goes for main dealer servicing for various reasons.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Mad Maxy
Audi labour rate in Aylesbury - £98/hour.
Audi labour rate in Aylesbury - £98/hour.

>>
When I was able to check the Ford prices online, a couple of years ago, my local main dealer was the most expensive Ford site for standard servicing , that I could find,
Their labour charges were £80 plus vat.
I will enquire about their current rates.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - cheddar
>>Let's be honest, we all know that franchise dealer servicing is a rip-off.>>

Not always, we have had good service in recent years from Renault and Ford dealers

Renault:
Our Clio is now 8 years old and 43,000 miles, we have had it from 4,000 miles, yes the Renault dealer tried to sell us a complete new exhaust at a rather high price saying (as the per the OP) "it will be difficult to seperate the sections", I had a new middle section fitted elsewhere, though they were right to highlight that it needed attention. However on another occasion I had bought from their parts dept a power steering pressure switch and fitted it myself, the original was leaking slightly, the only non wear and tear issue we have had with the Clio (otherwise only exhaust and battery have been replaced). About nine months later the replacement started to also weep fluid, rather than simply exchange the part the dealer insisted that they fit the second replacement themselves at no cost to us.

Additionally we had a cambelt change done (full kit) plus an oil and filter change for under £200 at Renault Minute.

Ford:
On the one occasion I had a fault that required an injector to be reprogrammed the dealer waived the IRO £50 cost even though the car was well out of warranty because I was a regular customer.

The two rear doors were effected by a white oxidation where the sealer had come away, the sealer on these doors was very hard to touch where as on the front doors, hatch etc it was soft to the extent that you could make an indentation in it with your finger nail, the car was nearly four years old and had done 102000 miles, so it was a year and 42000 miles out of it's warranty, yes it has a 12 year perforation warranty though was certainly not perforated, so Ford held no liability to me at all in respect of this problem however, no quibble, they acknowledged that the sealer was faulty, the dealer fitted two new rear doors and gave me brand new C-Max to drive while they did it. Ok, it is better to not have the problem in the first place though 10/10 to Ford and the dealer for taking it seriously and sorting it out.

Also I have started to do some jobs myself, the dealer highlighted that the front discs would soon need replacing, when I said that I was planning on doing the brakes myself though would continue to have scheduled services done by them the service dept called the parts dept and arranged a 25% discount off the parts for me.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - L'escargot
.......... £6.32 for a
wheel cylinder delivered to work today .........

How much for the part and how much for delivery?
--
L\'escargot.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Stuartli
>>certain people reckon OE exhausts last a lot longer than aftermarket.>>

It's more a fact that an assumption in the majority of cases - same for batteries.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Bill Payer
Let's be honest, we all know that franchise dealer servicing is a rip-off.
Service departments are located next to the showroom, which is on
some mega-expensive prime retail site. So dealers are paying top-dollar
for each square metre of workshop. Then all the 'branding'
etc has to be paid for - then the receptionist, the
'Service Advisor' (i.e. would-be technician who can't make the grade).
The end result is that your £7/hour technician is charged out
at £80/hour and the service manager is under tremendous pressure to
'upsell' ...

A friiend of mine, who is involved on the managment accountancy side of the business at a local Peugept dealer, told me that the standard way your typical dealership is financed, is that *all* the fixed costs (rent, electric etc etc) of the site are covered by the service department. They make a small amount of money on parts, and there's very little money in new & used car sales (for the 'mainstream' manufacturers). This came up because he was having sleepless nights as one of their ramps had been out of action for several weeks (due to it being occupied by a car in bits waiting for a new auto box).
Toyota - You ARE joking! - cheddar
I was going to also say that a friend has had issues with cost and customer service standards at the Toyota dealer, she will not go back there with her Yaris.
A friiend of mine ........................ was having sleepless nights as one of
their ramps had been out of action for several weeks (due
to it being occupied by a car in bits waiting for
a new auto box).

Sounds like a tall story to me. Why didn't they just take the car off the ramp and put it to one side?
--
L\'escargot.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Bill Payer
Sounds like a tall story to me. Why didn't they just take the car off the ramp and put it to
one side?
--

There'd be no reason for him to make it up - I presume the level of dismantling involved made it difficult? Or perhaps they just couldn't be bothered.
Centre exaust box rotting so best to have all replaced ..........
as it may be impossible to split it from the rest
of the exaust .
A small sum of £894.94 but that does include VAT and
1.2 hours labour.

Was the estimate of £894.94 purely for the exhaust system or did that include anything else?
--
L\'escargot.
Was the estimate of £894.94 purely for the exhaust system or did that include anything else?

I have it in writing on the "Visual Safety Report / Estimate"
- an item just the exhaust ( including1.2 hours labour and VAT),
Toyota - You ARE joking! - debonairzummerzetmillionaire
I drive a Corolla and my girlfriend has a Yaris (both bought in 2000) and we've always had them serviced at Toyota main dealer's but we've noticed quite sizeable increases in their service charges of late. Parts and Labour don't appear to have changed much. I'm intrigued by the £140 henry k, as we're paying nowhere near that, ahving rung round a host of Toyota dealers. More than double for both 10k and 20k services. Toyota do seem to value the custom of older cars though. Not like other marques...

Runt.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Simon
Sounds like a tall story to me. Why didn't they just take the car off the ramp and put it to
one side?

>>There'd be no reason for him to make it up - I presume the level of dismantling involved made it difficult? Or >>perhaps they just couldn't be bothered.

If the garage in question really wanted or needed to use that ramp then the car on it would be moved immediately to make way for the other work to be done. It would take probably all of ten minutes to make the car movable and push it off the ramp (after all its only having its gearbox changed), so that they could get the next car on the ramp. They aren't going to turn work away just for the sake of pushing a car 20 yards.
simon my dear person could you please explain how a car can be taken off the ramps when all the front end will have been disasembled to get the autogearbox out
i await your answer with baited breath
It would take probably all of ten minutes to make the
car movable and push it off the ramp (after all its
only having its gearbox changed), so that they could get the
next car on the ramp. They aren't going to turn
work away just for the sake of pushing a car 20
yards.

Eh? Show me how to do that on a Citroen XM auto, for example. It'll look like a bomb's gone off under the front.
Mate of mine who is an auto rebuilder declines to take certain models on the basis that they can tie a ramp up for too long - XM is one of them. Some 4x4 autos are a bit of a nightmare to do anything with once the 'box is out. RWD cars are usually easy to move when the box is out.
Toyota - You ARE joking! - Simon
Eh? Show me how to do that on a Citroen XM auto, for example.

But we are not talking about taking an autobox out of a Citroen XM are we? I didn't say it was possible for every car to be easily moved whilst it has a gearbox out, I was talking about most cars in a general manner.

So how do you move a car with the gearbox out? Well if it is a front wheel drive with a transverse engine, the majority of gearboxes will come from underneath. Because of the position of the gearbox, normally they are done on a single post or a two post lift. This allows the mechanic the maximum amount of room to work with little trouble of the lift getting in the way. There isn't a great amount of dismantling to do in order to get the gearbox out, but most likely the wheel hub will have to be released to allow the driveshaft to be pulled out of the gearbox. So if it does and you need to move the car, you refit the hub, bang the wheel on, tie up the driveshaft so it doesn't drag, drop the lift to the floor, move the lift arms and hey presto push the car out of the way. If you don't want to rebuild any components then put a jack under the car when you drop it to the floor and wheel it out of the way using the jack to support that corner.

If it is a rear wheel drive with a longitudinal engine layout then they are normally done on a four post or a two post lift. Again this is to allow the mecahnic to work with the most amount of room possible. So the car is on the ramp with the gearbox out. Unbolt the prop or tie it up so it is out of the way, maybe you have removed some of the engine mountings and have the engine supported by an overhead crane. Just put a support bar across the top of the suspension struts and support the engine with this. Then you can push the car out of the way and free up the use of the lift.

If you have a car that is quite well dissasembled at the front end such as one where you have to drop the subframe out and maybe half of the suspension and steering is in bits then you can use a mobile engine hoist or forklift to move the car out of the way. You just attach a pair of chains to the front crossmember or the chassis legs and attach your chains to the engine hoist/fork lift forks. Lift it up at the front end so that it is clear of the floor, tie up any loose bits and push/wheel it out of the way using the engine hoist of forklift to support the dissasembled front end.

I have also moved vehicles before from one garage to another (I'm talking miles not yards) with no engine/gearbox and front suspenion on more than one occassion. All that was present at the front end were a pair of chassis legs and the front crossmember. This has normally been in order for the cars/vans to go on a chassis jig. And once they have been straightened they have been moved back again in the same manner to be rebuilt at the original garages.

So to me moving vehicles that are not complete is pretty much childs play and there are always pretty simple solutions to move most vehicles easily. So anybody who bleats on about not being able to free up a lift obviously doesn't need to use it that badly or they would use simple methods such as these to wheel the vehicles out of the way so paying work could be done on the lift in question.
I'm intrigued by the £140 henry k, as we're paying nowhere near that,

>>Having rung round a host of Toyota dealers.
More than double for both 10k and 20k services.

>>
I do live in a very expensive area so I am not surprised at high charges for anything local( Ford @ £80 plus VAT two years ago).

The previous Toyota Intermediate service was £93 .
This time there were "special" rates for Intermediate - £79 ( which is certainly cheaper than before)

and Full -£139 ( which I would expect to be cheaper based the old rate of £93 for the simpler service)
Appears to be £90 labour plus VAT which I am not realy surprised at..
Toyota - You ARE joking! - VR6
My dads 54 plate Yaris was just serviced (20k/2year) for £147 at Toyota. When ringing for quotes they ranged up to £250. The place I took it was a Hyundai Dealer with an official Toyota service dept. There was a Toyota garage acorss the road who wanted £200 for the same job. I was surprised at the range of prices quoted.