golf mk2 s/roof - welderjames
Recently got myself a lovely 1991 mk2 gti,a real minter,let down by leaky roof.I have blown out the drain holes,they ok. The seal around the edge is ropey though,.Is it a big job to replace this,does the whole roof lining have to come out and the windings and panel etc,,,ta!
golf mk2 s/roof - George Porge
To remove the sunroof you wind it back and remove the screws underneath the panel that secure it to the roof, wind it forward again and push it up out of the roof where an assistant pulls the whole thing out.

Completely cover the sunroof panel and the surrounding roof with masking tape before you start, they scratch easily. I'd lube the cables before starting too.
Cheers,will get a look at it tomorrow,
but do I need to get a new seal first,as the present one has come away in places,or can it just be glued back,save a bit of time and a wet head.
golf mk2 s/roof - George Porge
They're about £30 or were. The last bolts are under the winder handle and also hold the gear wheel on, dont fiddle with this when its off as it has a geared stop inside.

Get pollythene ready to cover the hole if you're working outside

Take your time, support the legs and don't scratch the panel or roof
Cheers all .think I have the jist of what to do.have a bit of insulating tape covering the joints for the time being untill I get it sorted,But I will do it asap as the tape doesnt do the car much justice,