What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Price of petrol v/s water - hillman
Petrol is not so dear after all. I ate in a self service restaurant today and saw that 330ml bottles of still water are £1.05 each. I could go a long way on that money.

When I was first motoring the cost was 3s 6d a gallon. In 1965 when I landed at Cape town it was 2s 6p. When I got to my destination in Zambia it was 3s 6p again. Shortly after I arrived Rhodesia declared independence and the Zambian government rationed petrol to 4 gallons per month. Yes, motoring was cheap; couldn't go anywhere.
Price of petrol v/s water - Aprilia
Good local restaurant that the wife and I sometimes eat at charges £3.50 for a bottle of mineral water - so petrol's not so bad after all. And they don't have the excuse of saying that 90% of its tax etc...
I should add its a 1 litre bottle...
Price of petrol v/s water - Waino
Bottled water is as big a con as SUVs and proof that the marketing men reign supreme - and most people are stupid ;-)
Price of petrol v/s water - Stuartli
Any restaurant, local or otherwise, that charged £3.50 for a bottle of mineral water would never have my custom again.

Mind you I pay £2.06 a pint for Guinness and that's not cheap per gallon...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Price of petrol v/s water - khizman
Well a local buffet place have it @ £2.50/ltr.
The buffet costs £9/head.

Price of petrol v/s water - jc2
When the waiter comes up and asks"sparkling or still" I say "tap".
Price of petrol v/s water - BazzaBear {P}
Any restaurant, local or otherwise, that charged £3.50 for a bottle
of mineral water would never have my custom again.

Of course, you could just not buy water from there.
Its an excellent restaurant, but it is expensive, especially for an out of the way rural location. Chateaubriand is about £70. I hate to think what people would pay for mineral water in London. I attended a meeting in a smart London hotel last year and had a cup of tea whilst waiting for it to start and they charged me something like £5 !! Even I was a bit shocked.
Price of petrol v/s water - v0n
Any mineral water priced above 30p a litre is de facto more expensive than litre of unleaded in US... So that's pretty much any bottled water in UK bar the cheapest supermarket large bottled inhouse brands...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Price of petrol v/s water - Stuartli
>>Of course, you could just not buy water from there.>>

Agreed, but presumably everything else is priced in proportion...:-)

I remember feeling somewhat, to say the least, annoyed when I was charged £1.65 for a bottle of water in a pub when getting a round in a few weeks ago.

No, it's not the only round I've bought in recent times..:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by