What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford KA Servicing - Number_Cruncher
Against my better judgement, I've had my arm twisted in to servicing a KA for a friend of SWMBO.

I'm ready for some plug snapping fun!, but I don't know what clearance the tappets should be set to. Please could someone who has a manual post the clearances?

It's an X reg 1.3. The car has had a hard life, and I'm expecting to find all sorts of problems with it - I suspect there may be a few more questions posted from me about the issues I find wrong with the car over the next few days!

Thanks,

Number_Cruncher
Ford KA Servicing - DP
Hi Number_Cruncher

Inlets are 0.2mm
Exhausts are 0.5mm

Valve layout from thermostat end of the engine is exhaust, inlet, exhaust, inlet, inlet, exhaust, inlet, exhaust.

Good luck with the plugs. I've still got 3 to do on my sister's car because the first one took a day and a half!

Cheers
DP
Ford KA Servicing - bell boy
dont get carried away and set them smaller as a lot of these like to eat the camshaft/buckets if you do if they havent already .
Many thanks DP & oldman, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Number_Cruncher
Well, the spark plugs all came out OK!, and the tappet clearances were all over the place. As bad light stopped play, I still have to deal with the underneath; the suspension, steering and the brakes, which I'll take a look at next weekend, but at least the engine is running quite a bit better.

I was surprised by a couple of things, but mainly how rusty the car was. There was even rust on the windscreen pillars, which is something I had associated mainly with Italian cars.

Not so much of a surprise was that this car had the most filthy damp fungus ridden pollen filter I've ever seen. I suspect the interior of the car will have a more pleasant odour now there's a nice new one in place!

The spare wheel had been ruined by a previous garage's over zealous tightening of the spare wheel carrier cage - these things are an awful design. I am rather a fan of the fuel filter fitting though - very easy to replace, no tools required at all, just clips to press and release.

Number_Cruncher
Ford KA Servicing - DP
Pleased to hear about the plugs!

I agree those quick release fittings on the fuel hoses are great. The Mondeo uses them on the diesel filter as well which saves lots of time.

The quality of the fasteners used on the Ka's oily bits is a disgrace. My sister's example doesn't have a single nut, bolt or screw under the bonnet that isn't rusted solid or dissolving into nothing. Hers seems to be holding up well bodywork wise though (1998 example)

>>The quality of the fasteners used on the Ka's oily bits is a disgrace.

Yes, not impressive - even the screws holding the two halves of the air-filter box together had rusted badly - thankfully I got them out, and found some suitable replacements in one of my many old tin boxes of bits and pieces.

Number_Cruncher