Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - philipb
I bought my VW Touran two and a half years ago. At the time, the sat nav cost £1295 as an optional extra which was expensive but the standalone units by Tom Tom etc were in their infancy and cost around £700.

Since then, the cost of sat nav units has plummeted together with all things electronic so you can get a NavMan in Tesco for under £100.

However, if I want a sat nav in next year's Ford S Max, it is still going to cost £1500! That buys an awful lot of electronics these days. I appreciate that car manufacturers hope that a built in sat nav continues to have a certain cachet but I for one thing it should be included in the top of the range cars in the way that Honda do with their Exec Accords and CR-Vs.

I do like the convenience and large screen of my VW system but a good standalone system will be mine forever and work between both cars as required.

Does anyone who has to pay for their own motoring think it is still worth ticking the Sat Nav box on the optional extra list these days?

{Slight amendment to subject header - DD}
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - nutty_nissan
of course it's overpriced. the value of factory satnav is a couple of hundred quid extra on the car at resale time.

personally, i use tomtom on my mobile and it's great. Why don't you use the 1500 quid for a nice holiday or two?
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - jc2
At least Ford give you the option;you can bet that Honda add the £1500 to their price as well!!
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Statistical outlier
Honda give you the option as well, an option I didn't take as it would have added £50 to each months repayment. Not even slightly worth it!

The Ex versions of the Accord come both with and without Satnav, and with or without the larger wheels.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Chicken Vindaloo
Built-in Sat Nav is rather more sophisticated than hand-held units (there's another thread on this somewhere which enlightened me a lot). Whether it's worth it is open to debate.

Sat Nav will doubtless become last year's air con and become a standard fitting soon. I've got both systems too and would tick the box for my current car's replacement, even though it would cost about £2.8k!!
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Falkirk Bairn
Built in Sat Nav overpriced?

Yes, by about 4 x what it should be.

A good plumbed in Sat Nav at say £400 / £500 might tempt the man in the street when buying a car @ £15,000 (with his own money). £1500 is way over the top for what is the same technology that add-on suppliers offer at £100-£300.

The same argument applies to most add-ons from all car makers but especially the BMW / MB / Audi where 4/5 add-ons (Sun roof+ Sat nav + leather interior etc ) would buy you a brand new car such as a Aygo.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Altea Ego
Well it is overpriced when you can buy the genuine VW sat nav as fitted to tourans, new golfs and new passats on ebay for 400 quid or less. Its a simple matter to fit it as well.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Ruperts Trooper
All options on cars are over-priced. It's the way that manufacturers make profits. You only have to look at the difference in price between the basic model in a range and the top model with all the options.

You have to make your own choice about value, function or image to suit your own budget.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Hamsafar
I agree with TVM, you can get them on ebay (mine came from Lithuania) and fit them yourself in many cases. Mostly, it's just slide out the cd/radio and slide in the sat nav. Some such as Vauxhall may require a new screen too.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Botchit, Soddem & Leggit
Interesting to note a few points...

1) Big cars cost more or less the same to develop as small cars.
2) VMs don't make much money from building cars (e.g. the part of Ford that sells finance generates far more revenue than that selling the cars) its all the other things that prop up the profits.
3) Ford Ka, when launched had a 3 model line up. The only difference was the toys (Elec. windows, CD player , alloys etc.) fitted to the same car - what a winner for Ford. They sell the same car with a few cheap extras for £2500 more!!)
4) People are prepared to pay for the toys. We see that all the time with the young lads driving £900 cars with loads of tweaks, body kit, £1000 stereo and £500 satnav. These are the same boys who grow up and tick all the extras when they buy their new cars.

Moan, moan, moan. BYW: I buy 2nd hand!!
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Sim-O
Sat Nav - of course its over priced, decent maps much cheaper
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - rtj70
They are overpriced for sure but bear in mind a built in GPS unit has a few benefits:

- Likely to have faster GPS fix time because always on when the car is on. Unless the car is say taken from A-B with it off (like on a ferry) and then it has to search for satellites like a PND GPS unit.
- Has a gyroscope to detect direction changes (the original TomTom PND had a gyroscope as well)
- Has a link to car speed so with the combination of a gyroscope, can update position on a map without a GPS signal. Anyone driven through a long tunnel? The car unit will cope and update the map but a PND GPS device will not update. Likewise if you're under dense foliage or in an urban cannyon situation.
- For obvious reasons, link to cars reverse gear to know if speed is forward or reverse
- A decent external aerial
- Most recent units have large touch screens with possibly another small screen amongst car's speedo/rev counter and will mute radio etc - so better ergonomics. Actually my TomTom on my Nokia N70 will mute the radio due to the car kit for the phone.
- Common for them to now use TMC traffic info instead of being either GPRS based. Although recently there are addons for TomTom and Navman at extra cost. Traffic info is used to route around delays etc.

And finally:

- No tell tale marks on the windscreen saying I've got a TomTom unit so break in and look in the glovebox. Of course they could just rip out the whole unit from the dash though.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Dipstick
The "dead reckoning" advantage is soon to be reduced - the new widescreen Sony satnav units due in a few days have sensors in to give them this abilty, so others will surely follow.

Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - nick
The built-in ones are expensive but nice to have. Big screens and little things like the car's clock is GPS-fed, so is always right. Can't steal them either.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - LeighB
Can't steal them either.

Unfortunately I believe that is not the case.
There are apparently a number available on e-bay from Eastern europe that may be stolen. It is relatively easy to remove the units from the dash once you have gained entry to the car. There has been discussion on the Briskoda forum as to the sense in fitting special security fasteners to make it more difficult, but the consensus seems to be that it just means the lowlifes will just cause more damage getting them out!!
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - v0n
It's todays equivalent to "optional extra - metallic paint £395 - no solid colours available in range". It's not like you'll have it with nothing but primer on, right? It's new, it's flash, it's what everyone wants - it is going to be overpriced. And next to impossible to upgrade.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Dave E
The nav option for my Mondeo is £1750, my recently purchased Navman £140, go figure. The Navman is far better then the Ford unit, more descriptive of the route and easier and cheaper to upgrade. Also at the price I paid if it fails in the future it is not so expensive to replace.

Compare that to the Ford unit. It is effectively a central control for climate and radio, as well as the Sat Nav and has been replaced once under warranty. A relative who works at said dealer says the cost to me would have been £1850 if outside the warranty. The aerial failed as well at one point and I was without the system for almost 6 weeks waiting for a replacement part. And if you still need convincing it is a poor option, consider the cost of the latest DVD map upgrade, an eye watering £235.

As regards a portable unit, so what if you have to carry it around. They are hardly heavy weight bits of kit and my brief experience of the Navman shows it is easy to set up, fits in my wifes Mazda in seconds and does position itself quite quickly.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Happy Blue!
Would I buy one as an extra with a brand new car - No!

But my new to me Outback has it and I specifically searched for an Outback with SatNav. Difference in price between roughly similar cars - almost nothing. I lose a small cubby in the dash, but I do not need to keep my A-Zs of the North West in the car and can be relegated to the office, house or boot.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Pugugly {P}
As previously stated, TomTom is as good as in many respects and better than in some respects the standard BMW kit - but who'd buy a 535 without the Sat Nav ? we're fools.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - nick
Same here, Espada. I wouldn't pay extra but the Legacy came with it as standard. A nice-to-have like a sunroof but not worth the megabucks if you have to specify it new.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Felix
As regards a portable unit, so what if you have to
carry it around. They are hardly heavy weight bits of kit
and my brief experience of the Navman shows it is easy
to set up, fits in my wifes Mazda in seconds and
does position itself quite quickly.

Sorry if I'm getting away from the OP a bit but one of the things that slightly troubles me about portable units is that they seem to me to be an open invitation to thieves. OK, so you take the unit out or hide it in the glovebox, but the mountings for them are so obvious that I worry that scrotes would break in looking for the unit hidden away. Or are there ways of mounting them so discreetly that you'd never know that it had been there when the unit's taken out? I'm genuinely curious as I was seriously thinking of taking the plunge and getting one, but this seems far and away the biggest downside against bespoke units.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Avant
You need to take out the mount as well, AND wipe the screen in case the pond life see a round mark where it's been and break in on the assumption that it's hidden somewhere.

It's a sad fact of life that we're all in thrall to this scum. (Apologies, mods, if that's deemed a swear word but it's actually quite polite for the people concerned!)
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - JamesH
Lack of future support makes the built in systems even more overpriced.

I have just bought a car with built in SatNav, an option costing about £2k when new five years ago and being a 'premium' brand often considered a must have. But the manufacturer decided it wouldn't offer any future map updates so most owners are left with obsolete 2000-2002 edition mapping. Fortunately there is a convoluted workaround for my system, which I'm looking into. The SatNav is a 'nice-to-have' for me but I wouldn't pay extra for an old enough secondhand car with it.

If I was in the position of being about to spend £2k on SatNav with the main attraction being a built in system, then the tasty aftermarket Pioneer AVIC HD1BT would be on my shopping list instead. It would need a double-DIN slot (should be ok for Fords) but is a touch screen unit, has full European mapping, multiple map views, 3d gyro, includes a hard disc (no need to bother with a CD changer), bluetooth phone kit, DVD player compatible with external screens, etc. The main downside is that it would be the ultimate prize for a car stereo thief.

James
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - type's'
>>At least Ford give you the option;you can bet that Honda add the £1500 to their price as well!!<<

Honda are doing satnav and bluetooth for £500 at the moment in the accord which is probably nearer the price people should pay IMO.
They claim it's an offer but these things usually stick with Honda in my experience.
I also find that they are open to negotiation on reading across the offers onto other models as well.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Westpig
www.brodit.com

offer after market brackets that fit your particular car and cover all the satnav makes.........not cheap....but

1, bracket fits on to/around air vent on dash so doesn't obscure your view through the window and is therefore legal (which the sucker pad isn't unless out of the sweep of the wipers)

2, the satnav bits and bobs can be taken completely off and out of the car, just leaving the bracket that could be a bracket for anything, not necessarily a satnav, which hopefully should narrow down the likelihood of Mr Oik breaking into your car looking for a satnav.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Felix
Thanks, looks interesting. Doesn't seem too extortianate, I assume you just have to get the car bracket plus the right satnav bracket that fits onto this? Only down side seems to be that you lose an air vent in the process, though it seems to depend on what car you fit it to.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - IanJohnson
This may be tempting providence but in two years of having a PDA version of TOM TOM with screen mount I have not (yet) had anyone attempt to break in to the car.

The PDA is never left in the car.

But I am careful about where I park!
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Altea Ego
But I am careful about where I park

now that is the key, not just for sat navs.

I always park somewhere lit, busy and visible if possible. Broken glass ont he ground? dont park there!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Dave E
> > Sorry if I'm getting away from the OP a bit but one of the things that slightly troubles me about portable units is that they seem to me to be an open invitation to > > thieves. OK, so you take the unit out or hide it in the glovebox, but the mountings for them are so obvious that I worry that scrotes would break in looking for > > the unit hidden away.

Sorry for not mentioning, I remove the mount as well. That is a levered suction cup that fits very quick. As for leaving rings on the screen, do what I do and keep the screen clean. Better a few seconds removing visible clues than to come back and find your car damaged.

Your right in saying this is a downside to a dedicated unit but you have to do the, ahem!! cost/benefit analysis and the portable systems wins hands down. Think about it for what it costs to have the Ford system installed, you could by a top of the range portable unit and have money left over for a week in the sun. There is simply no logic in paying for a manufacturer system other than what is perceived as the convenience and cache of having it proudly displayed in your car. Unless of course it included in the deal as mine was.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Bill Payer
There is simply no
logic in paying for a manufacturer system other than what is
perceived as the convenience and cache of having it proudly displayed
in your car.

In some cars it does really 'lift' the interior - I'm particularly thinking of Honda Accord. Unless it's been changed recently, then adding Sat Nav get rid of those big ugly round knobs in the middle of the dash and replaces them with a screen.

My MB (bought used) came with COMAND and combines navigation at £1800 and phone (another £600). However the versions without COMAND don't look much different so it would not be a great loss not to have it.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - Statistical outlier
Perhaps you think it lifts the interior of the Accord. I would disagree - on my car, the large knobs that you think are ugly are accessible without having to look, and completely ergonomically obvious (even my Grandma could adjust her heat without asking how).

In contrast the Satnav unit is inferior to TomTom in terms of map presentation and speed of programming (although as discussed it had many other quite real benefits), hides the radio and (to some extent) heater controls on touchscreens that have to be accessed before they can be used, and is on all the time.

If I know where I'm going, I don't want a satnav just running, especially as it doesn't know about speed cameras, and the radio screen was uncomfortably bright at night. Finally, radio buttons are infinitely less ergonomic on a touch screen than on real buttons that you can feel without looking.

So, in summary, yes it looks nicer, but it was far harder to live with than my TomTom setup, and I was glad to change back to my car from the demonstrator I had for two weeks with the Satnav built in.
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - colinh
BMW offer a range of Garmin stand-alone units as official accessories (not sure of the prices) - seems they've recognised the high price of dedicated units
Built in Sat Nav overpriced? - oilrag
I had a built in unit in a Doblo (about £1,500)
It dated ( the hardware) quite rapidly and failed totally, just inside warranty.
A year later it was starting to fail again, so I sold the Doblo on in part exchange.
I only needed it a couple of times a month in the UK ( a lot more on the continent)
But it was always *running*
Even with the CD taken out, there was still a mechanical whirring coming from inside the unit.
I think its asking a lot for a mechanism such as this to last long term, with the heat/cold/vibration in a vehicle.
A big mistake IMHO that the unit could not be totally switched off to save wear.
Despite the inconvenience of my portable Medion pocket pc unit, that I use currently, I really appreciate the solid state
build, with no mechanical moving parts and most of western Europe on an SD card.
Most of all, only £300 invested and the fact that it can be at home in the house until needed, rather than steadily wearing its self out even when not being used.