What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus idle - kevin trew
I have just purchased a w-reg Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec. Can anyone tell me if they suffer from intermittent high idle or lack of engine braking when releasing the throttle at approximately 40mph?
Re: Focus idle - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Most modern cars fitted with a full engine management system will have a slow, controlled return to normal idle. This is to reduce emissions of Hydrocarbons on deceleration. Many cars, Fords and Vauxhalls in particular, will not actually return to complete idle until the vehicle is completely stationary. However there seems to be a trait with some recent Zetec engined Fords for them to "hang up" excessively high. My colleague Adam Going is wrestling with one at the moment. Is yours just holding at about 1200 rpm or is it much higher?
Re: Focus idle - Simon Ridgers
Worth seeing other thread on Focus cars with Mondeo Zetec engines. I think they were mainly 2 litres (mine is) and involves having a new inlet manifold fitted. But mine still isn't right, although the 'hanging up' is much better.

Ford denied all knowledge of the problem, but my dealer managed to find a service bulletin on the subject.
Re: Focus idle - John Regin
Friend of mine has a 2 litre Focus Zetec. This commonly "idled" at 2000 - 2500 RPM. Hancock Ford (Farnborough) were unable to find any fault whatsoever? The Ford dealer in Farnham changed the inlet manifold from the Modeo one fitted to the correct Focus unit and also fitted Focus breather pipes. Problem solved and car also much more responsive.
Re: Focus idle - Steve Stern
There is mention of this problem on other sites re incorrect parts fitted and incomplete recall of vehicles affected.
Re: Focus idle - david lacey
I would agree with what Andrew says - modern engine management systems feature a slow return to idle - to achieve emission standards - therefore a lack of engine braking. Throttle hang up seems to be a problem these days - it can be exaggerated though by having the a/c switched on - try turning it off and see if it is any different. It's also worth checking the throttle cable adjustment (not too tight) and that the throttle valve opens and closes smoothly. This was a problem we came across with many Rover models with a plastic throttle body.