What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A suggestion! - Tomo
I venture to repeat a suggestion, probably lost in an extended string, to those on this site who profoundly object to other people enjoying motoring.

Why don't you campaign for the provision of strips for us to have a go, as was done in parts of the States.

Or for just occasionally declared open days on certain stretches of road, when we could have a blast and you lot could go another way, or stay home? (The nice police could give us the probably very flattering camera readings!)

Goodness knows we pay enough.
Re: A suggestion! - THe Growler
Yes I was following that thread in what seemed an especially academic discussion! Actually I managed to reach nearly 50 mph last week on the South Luzon Expressway. Granted it WAS 4 o'clock in the morning....but a rare pleasure just the same.

As a dedicated biker, iI find a crotch rocket (aside from being a potential deathmobile) totally pointless. THis year's Yamzuki is out of date next year anyway by something which will do another 0.3 moph, meaning all the boy racers have to have it, thus crucifying the residual value of this year (now last) year's model.

Hence the Harley-Davidson, motorcycling for its own sake...cruise and enjoy.
Re: A suggestion! - Alwyn
Growler,

Have you seen Easy Rider. Strange film but evocative.

Ah, my days on the Ariel Red Hunter 500 twin. Top speed? I think about 90 mph (from a very long memory)
Re: A suggestion! - BigAl
I thought the Ariel Red Hunter was a 350 single - at least, the one me an' me mate used to commute to college on in 1969 was!
Mine was a KH 500 Twin, also, as far as I know, called Red Hunter.
Big Al,

Anyone like to see a picture of my Ariel Red Hunter KH twin?

Well not mine, but just to prove there was such a bike.

www.nalynn.btinternet.co.uk/Ariel1953500cctwin.htm
Another suggestion! - David W
Growler,

Spot on with the Harley thing. Speed is but a part of the pleasure for motorists. Rather sad that there are those who are unable to gain genuine pleasure unless excess speed is involved.

Perhaps there should be courses run to show the speed freaks how to be true motorists in the fully rounded sense of the words.

David
Re: A suggestion! - Roger K.
A nice idea, but would require a change in the law before it could happen, and you know how long that takes!
Re: A suggestion! - THe Growler
Easy Rider, Wild One, got all the biker movies.
Re: Another suggestion! - Flat in Fifth
Here's a realistic suggestion.

So Tomo you want to have a go as fast as you can on closed roads without interference from the boys in blue and no risk of prosecution.

You can do it, and you can do it now, its called getting yourself a competition licence and entering events using closed roads. Plenty in Ireland, Isle of Man and the near continent. Fewer in UK of course though not impossible. Road closures for cycle racing is OK, cars more problematical but not impossible.

OK so it costs you, time, effort and money, but why should the taxpayer support your hobby?

I have no idea where you live but obviously I can count n your support should I try and organise a road closure and special stage past your dwelling.

Its surprising how many find out they are not that good after all.
Re: Another suggestion! - Tomo
There'll be increasingly wizard prangs at the end of our cul-de-sac!

By the way, I am a taxpayer, you know.

And I can't go swanning all over because I have SWMBO to look after. We taxpayers provide our social services ourselves, while we pay for others'.

But you really just wanted to take me down, didn't you!

And as it happens, I did have a competition licence many years ago; I doubt if they'd give me one now. If you want hard work, try a slightly moribund XK150 round Ingliston.
Re: Another suggestion! - pugugly
Few years ago had one hell of a laugh in Malta. One of the island's main roads actually follows the line of the old RAF base. It was a Sunday afternoon when we happened along. All the locals were there drag racing their road cars down the old runways. No Police to be seen.
What an excellent and unexpected spectator sport that turned out to be, I Have to admit I was tempted but I doubt the Hire Company would have been impressed.
Re: Another suggestion! - ian (cape town)
Pug,
They do exactly the same thing here- local airforce base, a few bob to enter, fire brigade in attendance, rules are simple - a crash helmet and long sleeved garment!
I love to go and watch, with a few thousand others, as golf and astra drivers pit their engines against one another.
Always a few blown clutches and burts engines as well!
Re: Another suggestion! - richard turpin
It can be done. it's called a TRACK DAY. I did one ant Snetterton and am doing another soon. Great fun and inexpensive and safe. Join a club, et voila!
Re: A suggestion! - Simon Butterworth
Assume this follows from the "year for speeding" thread.

I am genuinely interested to learn why you think that a belief that 160+ is not compatible with the safety of others is equal to profoundly objecting ot other people enjoying motoring.