What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
car kit - Los
After reading an article on todays' newspaper about car kits(cobra) I have decided to try to build one myself.
can anybody help me with some different car kits sites on the net? thankx.
Re: car kit - Honest John
The best one is www.totalkitcar.com

HJ
Re: car kit - Tomo
Just remember that a lot of projects never get finished!
Interesting site, though, even if one is never going to build anything. Thanks HJ.

And good luck and infinite perseverence to anyone having a build.

I myself once or twice got assessed as "Lacking application"! And I lose tools and things the instant I put them down! Don't think I've got the makings. Never mind the time.

I had said to myself, "You really ought to get to the Crail Thrash today, to see what it's about". You will not be surprised that it's snowing like billy-oh.....

So I shall not be on the roads today, which I mention to make my enemies happy. Who said "Fat chance"?

Cheers and beers, Tomo
Re: car kit - Tom Shaw
Fascinating article, and something I've thought about doing a few times over the years. I suppose it will always be one of those "I'll get round to it one day" dreams, but the prospect of having a GT40 or Lotus look-alike for around 5-6 grand is very appealing. Specially as the running costs would be small, as most kit cars are based round the running gear from everyday cars.

Has anyone ever built one, or helped somebody do the same, and how straightforward was it?
And what about insurance?
Re: car kit - Tom Shaw
Good point, but I would imagine that if the insurers were realistic in their risk assessment it should come somewhere in the region of classic car insurance. After all, such a car would not be likely to be in the hands of a reckless driver.
Re: car kit - Dave N
You'll be lucky to get something decent for 5/6K. OK the Pilgrim Sumo looked ok inthe picture, but when you get close up they're a bit iffy, unless you buy all the correct parts from the manufacturer, and thats where they make the money.
Re: car kit - nick
I have a friend who has built a Caterham. He thoroughly enjoyed the project though there were headaches which were sorted out via a helpline. He took about 2 years off and on and according to his wallet. Last time I spoke to him he was going for his one off type approval.
Re: car kit - Mike Harvey
My son has an RW Karma which has stood on my drive for 3 years, awaiting restoration. It's a Dino 246 look (almost) alike, and the registration number is the one used by RW in their advertising. It looked good then. It's a V dub chassis with 1700 Kent. Interested parties please email me for further details which may lead to a rapid departure.
Mike
Re: car kit - steve paterson
A few years ago I MOT tested a kit car based on a VW beetle. Some sort of 1930's lookalike. It looked good and the builder / owner had obviously spent a lot of time and money on it. Come the roller brake test, everything worked fine but the front's locked easily. It just scraped through on percentage figures.
Out of interest, I took it for a test drive, it was lethal - front brakes locked on at anything more than a light application. I guess that removing the steel body must have altered the weight distribution, and rendered the front brakes next to useless.
Re: car kit - steve paterson
Andrew,
No choice but to issue one. It just met the requirements as far as calculated brake effort was concerned, and there was no apparent fault with the braking system. I only took it for a road test out of curiosity. I suppose a couple of bags of sand on each front corner would have restored front braking effort, don't know what this would have done for the handling though.
Steve.
Re: car kit - Kevin

Check out Ultima Sports and start saving.

Kevin...
Re: car kit - Andrew
Ah but did it get a ticket?

Andrew.