coolant lifespan - fence
Once coolant has passed it's two year life,how does it start to deteriate.Is it the cooling properties,the antifreezingproperties,or the corrosion inhibiter.I ask this question because the coolant in my car stiil has the ideal concentrate,but is about three years old.Many thanks
coolant - Armitage Shanks {p}
I stand liable to correction but I think it is the corrosion inhibitors that break down first.
coolant - Dynamic Dave
As Armitage says.

However, some modern coolants have longer operating lives now. 10 yrs in some cases.

What car is it, how old, and has the coolant ever been changed previously?
coolant - Dynamic Dave
What car is it,

Ah, just answered my own question - a rover 114 gsi looking at your other posting.
coolant - Aprilia
The 'anti freezing' properties last many many years, but the corrosion inhibitor is effectively 'sacrificial' and gets used up. In most European and US antifreezes silicates are used and they tend to precipitate out into the cooling passages - hence the need for periodic flush-and-fill.

More modern OAT coolants have longer life - but may not be compatible with older engines that were not designed to use them. Best stick to the OEM spec stuff - its not expensive, whereas using the 'wrong' coolant can end up being costly!
coolant - KenC
I have a VW Golf just coming up to four years old, it has the original coolant in it.
Does anyone have any views on the coolant life for this car & is there a reason to change it ?
coolant - GregSwain
Some cars are prone to headgasket problems if the coolant isn't changed every 2 years.