What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
DIY Tracking - Chris S
Does anybody know where the DIY Tracking thread has gone, please?

I remember reading something on it about the car pulling to one side if that side's track rod was too long/short. Does anyone know which one it is?
DIY Tracking - Number_Cruncher
>>the car pulling to one side if that side's track rod was too long/short.

Having one track rod longer/shorter than the other will make the steering wheel be off centre when the car is driving straight - so, if you hold the wheel straight, the car will pull.

If, however, you let the wheel go, and the road is level, the car will drive straight.

Because toe in/out is something that affects both sides, and is symmetric, it doesn't pull the car one way or the other.

If the toe in/out is OK, but one track rod is shorter/longer than the other, the toe out on turns (i.e. the relationship between the direction the wheels point during a turn) will be wrong. This might lead to tyre scrubbing.

Usually, pulling to one side is when there is something a-symmetrical going on. A tyre pressure low at one side, or a suspension bush failing, for example.

Number_Cruncher
DIY Tracking - SjB {P}
>>If, however, you let the wheel go, and the road is level, the car will drive straight.

Indeed so, but as many roads will have camber - even if I can't see it - whenever I need to perform this "test" I do so by driving down the crown of the road with road wheels either side of the central marking. As an aside, excessive toe-out (the front of the wheels pointing away from each other) will make a car less inherently straight line stable, so even though as NC comments the error is "symmetric" a car so affected will tend to "fall down" even the slightest camber more readily.
DIY Tracking - Dynamic Dave
Does anybody know where the DIY Tracking thread has gone, please?

This one perchance?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39618
DIY Tracking - Chris S
thanks