What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Brake servo overhaul. - David W
Has anyone tried overhauling a brake servo from the 70/80s?

I know for more modern cars you get a new/exchange one but I've come across a site that does kits for servos on modern classics.

My Land Rover braking system was updated some years ago with a Series III set-up, including a servo like you might find in the last of the Series IIIs.

Thing is the servo hardly reduces the effort at all, there is a briliant vacuum available up to the servo so it must be the unit. I've never had one apart but guess they are just simple valves, seals and rubbers??

David
Re: Brake servo overhaul. - Keith Stockdale
Try replacing the hose from the engine to the servo.

They seem clear until lots of vacuum from the engine is applied and can collapse internally with no sign from the outside.

Let me know how you get on?
Re: Brake servo overhaul. - David W
Keith,

Many thanks for your interest. This Land Rover has a very substantial hose system from the manifold and teed off to a vacuum tank. There is a good constant vacuum applied to the servo and also the servo appears to hold vacuum itself.....it's just that the vacuum doesn't move the servo internals at all.

David
Re: Brake servo overhaul. - Alwyn
David,

I had a Corsair years ago that would put a ton of smoke out the back when I braked. Turned out to be a faulty seal in the servo.

Warning. Don't do as I did and take it apart in the kitchen. There is a large spring inside which "exploded" the bits and hydraulic fluid all over the floor.

Otherwise, I think it was quite straightforward. If I can do it................

(Though I would not bother now......get a chap in)
Re: Brake servo overhaul. - Alyn Beattie
DW

Why not replace the servo from a scrapper?
Re: Brake servo overhaul. - David W
Alyn,

Fair point but there are far fewer available with servos than without. Then there is the pain of not knowing it works until the damm thing is fitted.

Because I do so much chargeable work for others you'll mostly see me driving past the scrapyards to the motor factors.

If I could find another vehicle from that period that took the same servo unit it might widen the choice.

David
Re: Brake servo overhaul. - David Millar
Although it is 10 years or more since I bought an OEM servo repair kit (for a Lotus Plus 2). I had assumed they were readily available off the shelf for not a lot of money for something with the huge classic spares back up of a Land-Rover. As I recall, it is pretty straightforward putting the servo back together. Besides Alwyn's caution, I would advise not losing any of the screws if you are keen on originality and having them all match.

David