What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SW Scotland routes. - David W
Does anyone know the roads from Gretna across to Newton Stewart/Wigtown? I guess the A75/712.

I wonder how long to allow for that treck on a Saturday in August.

What about the Wigtown bay coast. Has anyone lived/visited there?

David
Re: SW Scotland routes. - Mark (Brazil)
Kind of similar query, I know some of the readers of the backroom have spent some time in South America. Has anybody spent any length of time in Bolivia, preferably Santa Cruz ?

I'd appreciate a mail if you have.

M.
Re: SW Scotland routes. - Andy Bairsto
This road has improved over the years with a couple of new bypasses but has heavy traffic going to Stranraer ferry terminal allow 1 and half hours
Re: SW Scotland routes. - David Millar
Via Michelin says 96 miles and 2 hours 4 min from Gretna Services to Stranraer and I am inclined to agree. I haven't driven it all but the bit I have from Galloway Forest Park area is slow with not many overtaking opportunities if you are stuck behind a truck or two.

Keep the family out of the Gretna factory outlets centre unless you want to see the price of a couple of BXs disappear in less than an hour. I recommend the chippy/sweet shop in Gretna village although it isn't quite as good as the one in Lockerbie 20 minutes up the M74.

David
Re: SW Scotland routes. - Tomo
It's a long time ago, but I'd guess a couple of hours, + rather than - .

The country was fine forty years ago.

Give my regards to Chapelcross in passing. Only salt mine I ever really liked (I don't glow in the dark, either!).

Cheers, Tomo
Re: SW Scotland routes. - PDP
David,

My folks live in Newton Stewart so I travel this route a lot. The A75 is, I believe, a Euroroute and so is maintained to a high standard. It usually runs pretty fast and the only limiting factor is the Stranraer traffic as Andy noted, and (of course) caravans. Although I can't remember any Gatsos, do look out for mobile speed traps - I was nabbed a few years ago. Gatehouse of Fleet is a nice place to stop for a cuppa.

The A712 passes through some very picturesque scenery, though is very much slower than the A75.

Have fun,

Phil
Re: SW Scotland routes. - Rob S
David W,

Be very careful of the lorries heading for the ferries to Ireland along the A75 they stop for no-one, I have frequently seen them side by side at 70 mph as they race along. This is not another anti lorry driver message but a statement of fact! Allow 2 hrs from Gretna and you should be there in time. I'll give you a wave as you pass Penrith on the M6!

I'm sure PDP will back me up on this!

Rob S
Rob, I've heard a rumour that the truckers put money in a hat for the race between the Stranraer and the south coast ports!
Re: SW Scotland routes. - David W
Phil,

We haven't confirmed a final location yet but it is likely to be on the Wigtown Bay Coast.

What is your view of the area from local experience?

David
David, I'll put something in an e-mail to you