Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Dynamic Dave

The Morris Marina topped the list of Melting Motors revealed yesterday (article dated 31st Aug 2006), with only 745 left on the road out of the 807,000 sold in the UK.
Second place in the table compiled by Auto Express is the square-fronted Mark IV and V Ford Cortina, popular because it was cheap to fix.

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5056623.html

tinyurl.com/ghw5l (Link to www.dailyrecord.co.uk)

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006400372,00.html (Link non clickable because of other content The Sun is renound for.)

1. Morris Marina (1971-80) ? 807,000 sold, 745 left.
2. Ford Cortina MkIV/V (1976-82) ? 1,065,682 sold, 2,010 left.
3. Renault 18 (1979-86) ? 131,241 sold, 317 left.
4. Renault 5 MkI (1972-83) ? 216,199 sold, 499 left.
5. Skoda Estelle (1977-92) ? 102,105 sold, 612 left.
6. Vauxhall Cavalier MkII (1981-89) ? 807,624 sold, 6,343 left.
7. Austin/Rover Metro (1980-94) ? 1,370,000 sold, 21,468 left.
8. Austin/Rover Montego (1984-95) ? 436,000 sold, 8.988 left.
9. Austin/Rover Maestro (1983-95) ? 440,000 sold, 11,574 left.
10. Fiat Uno MkI (1983-89) ? 190,000 sold, 5,179 left.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Xileno {P}
I wish I kept our Renault 18 'American'.
Was a nice tidy example as well, no rust on that one due to being thoroughly waxoyled. Some fool has scrapped it now, according to the DVLA site. A nice Renault 5 or Fiat Uno would be a bit of fun but all the rest can go.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - johnny
a bit of a meaningless set of figures though, the Marina has had at least 26 years to rust away, while the Rovers have had just over ten.
Did people really LIKE buying brown, beige and mustard and sky blue coloured cars ?
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Stuartli
>>the Marina has had at least 26 years to rust away>>

But it didn't need 26 years to do so...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - mrmender
Very interesting information i owned 4 examples of the dreaded marinas
I wonder how many of the 102,105 Skoda Estelle's Lud owned! he's very defensive of them
At least BL had a sense of humour though - realising we all missed the Marina, they gave us the Ital. What a dire car, a complete embarrassment, a complete waste of raw materials.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Altea Ego
Where are these 745 marinas? I shall hunt them all down personally and kill them
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Hugo {P}
Where are these 745 marinas? .....

There is an excellent example in St Mawes in Cornwall - 1977 on an S plate IIRC.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - henry k
Where are these 745 marinas? I shall hunt them all down personally and kill them

>>
Not far to go for the first one.
A very tatty one resides in a drive a few doors from me in KT10.
It is in regular use so please leave it alone!! It has survived this long.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - SpamCan61 {P}
Interesting to see / difficult to believe that the flippin rotbox Metro has a higher survivability rate than the Cavlier Mk2 - although the Metro was flogged until the mid 90s I suppose.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - kithmo
Wonder what happened to the original Rover 216 models, the square boxy Honda accord shaped one with the 1.6 montego "s" series engine in, they all seemed to disappear within 10 years.
Because they rusted badly.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Lud
Five mm. Still got one too, but covered in moss, rustier than it ought to be, sitting in a shrubbery and needing an engine job, although the chassis is young and fresh. Engine job wd have to include steel exhaust valve seat inserts as the cylinder head has already suffered significant valve seat recession.

Sad story. One day I may write and post, for yr delectation in the Arabian Desert (stay out of the empty quarter mm) the story of the five Skodas. But I'll have to be feeling really cheerful.

Then it may read like a year's worth of the News of the World in one go.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - mrmender
Glad to hear you still have one in the shrubbery Lud...... So long as you've no ideas about shipping it up to North Wales for me to ...er have a look at it for you...I've temporarly lost my mig welder and torque wrench if anybody askes!
Five mm. Still got one too, but covered in moss, rustier
than it ought to be, sitting in a shrubbery and
needing an engine job,

And by the way: it's BEIGE, with a black vinyl roof.

That ought to make the Marina owners feel less isolated.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Roberson
Very interesting information that DD, thanks. I think the Cortinas demise was helped almost entirely by banger racers and I?m surprised the Granada isn't in the list. It would be interesting to see the results from 11-20 of that list, as there are many other once popular cars which have all of a sudden disappeared (Mk1 Polos, Mk1 Fiestas, BX's maybe? Less suddenly perhaps but, Maxi's and Princesses are almost extinct)
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - piggy
What about the infamous Lancia Beta? According to popular mythology there is a pit full of them in Cornwall. If I recall correctly,the engine/tranmission support strut rusted through in a couple of years. The aforementioned components would then promptly drop on to the road!
I used to own the coupe version and it lasted for several years until the head gasket went (a problem with the Fiat twin cam of that era).
If i remember rightly,this car was the reason why Lancia stopped being imported to the UK,which is a real shame.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Pugugly {P}
There's an awful lot of the Marinas in New Zealand........according to thei e-bay equivelent.
Kiwi-bay?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Pete M
NZ equivalent of E-Bay is TradeMe. Searching www.trademe.co.nz for Morris Marinas, we get : tinyurl.com/hsnz5

So that's two cars, nine workshop manuals, and a grille. Hardly a lot, is it? So even here, the last refuge of BL, they are despised, except by a few enthusiasts. After all, we started getting Toyota Corollas here many years ago, and that's not a fair fight.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Robin Reliant
What about the infamous Lancia Beta? According to popular mythology there
is a pit full of them in Cornwall. If I recall
correctly,the engine/tranmission support strut rusted through in a couple of years.
The aforementioned components would then promptly drop on to the road!
I used to own the coupe version and it lasted for
several years until the head gasket went (a problem with the
Fiat twin cam of that era).
If i remember rightly,this car was the reason why Lancia stopped
being imported to the UK,which is a real shame.

I have read a book by an informed source that the rusting Lancia Beta storey was largely a fabrication by the Daily Mirror, who failed to offer any hard evidence when challenged by both the importer and the dealers. Attempts to find those owners whose engines were supposed to have fallen on the floor bore no fruit.

Marinas may top the list of melting cars, but you do still see some about. I know of at least two still running locally, but i haven't seen a Hillman Avenger for donkey's years, and they were quite a popular car from around the same era.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
And by the way everyone: the list starts in 1971 (I know that seems ages ago to some of you but it isn't) and by then cars were a bit better although still seriously disgraceful in many ways. But for seriously rusting carp you have to go back to the late fifties and sixties.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Adam {P}
1971? That's AGES ago!

(14 years before i was born)
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Imagos
1971? That's AGES ago!
(14 years before i was born)

>>

my goodness!! that makes you a C reg!
I've been called a lot of things in my time but never a C reg!
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - rtj70
My first car (a Fiesta) was a C Reg. Struggling to find a car before I started my first job, and after buying it my mum said there was always one with my name on it. Spooky it was on something like Robert Street and had JWN on the plate.. my mum being June.

Rust bucket mind.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - George Porge
Saw a C plate Fiesta a few weeks ago in factory fresh mint condition, light purpley / bluey colour (oldman will know the name of the colour ;-), it even still sounded tight having the raspy standard exhaust they came with. I learned to drive in one.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Robin Reliant
Saw a C plate Fiesta a few weeks ago in factory
fresh mint condition, light purpley / bluey colour (oldman will know
the name of the colour ;-), it even still sounded tight
having the raspy standard exhaust they came with. I learned to
drive in one.

I taught people to drive in them. What a god awful car, the clutches were either like an on/off switch or they slipper like crazy. Everything rattled and creaked after a few thousand miles and if you over-reved they would cut out and not re-start. Sticking throttle cables were another bugbear, and if you got that combined with the sharp clutch life became very interesting.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Martin Devon
>> (14 years before i was born)

Nobody, but nobody is THAT young.

vbr.........................MD
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - PhilW
"1971? That's AGES ago!"
Not that long! In 1971 I was 2 years older than you are now! (that took some working out!)

--
Phil
In 1971 my Mum would have been 13.

Sorry to make you feel old Gents!
>>in 1971 my Mum would have been 13>>

To be pedantic, she was 13...:-)

Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Pete M
To be even more pedantic, she was only 13 for part of the year, unless her birthday falls on January 1st.
Hey, in 1971, I passed my University Entrance exams! The great part is that people of my generation have been able to watch and participate in the greatest technological revolution ever. There are even better things yet to come.
Adam.
You're old enough to be my son !
>>Adam.
You're old enough to be my son !<<

I'm keeping my mouth shut!
In 1971 my Mum would have been 13.
Sorry to make you feel old Gents!

Makes your mum 48, dont invite BBD round whatever you do.

In 1971 I had my first proper job, and was lusting after capris.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - madf
"I have read a book by an informed source that the rusting Lancia Beta storey was largely a fabrication by the Daily Mirror, who failed to offer any hard evidence when challenged by both the importer and the dealers. Attempts to find those owners whose engines were supposed to have fallen on the floor bore no fruit. "

I had a friend who bought one new (he was a lawyer). Your book is wrong: my friend had extensive welding to the gearbox mounting brackets : when the car was just 2 years old.

I suggest no prior owner will ever admit to owning such a pos.:-)
madf
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - daveyjp
Not suprised about the Cortina given the dates. My grandfather bought a brand new one 'P' reg so around 1976, after less than two years the sills were rotting through! I see an L' reg one quite regularly - brown with a vinyl roof. Must be a top spec though as it has twin headlights.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - DP
There is a tidy-ish P reg Marina 1800 in hearing aid beige just around the corner from me. Awful looking thing.

An old guy in the next street has an immaculate D reg Cavalier 1.8 CDi. I was out walking the dog last summer and he was out cleaning it so stopped and had a chat (as a fan of the mk2 Cav). He seemed surprised anyone would pay the car any attention at all, but was happy to chat about cars and life in general, and let me have a look around it.

This thing really is mint. The velour trim still has its pile, the carpets are unmarked under the mats and the body and paint are all original. He's had it from new, with a genuine 77,000 on the clock, and he still has it serviced annually at the local Vauxhall dealer. He proudly told me it had never had a non-genuine part fitted to it, and apart from the front CV joints, and the steering rack was all pretty much original! It's even got the original Philips stereo in it. Never been pranged or had paint, and the bodywork is still immaculate. He fired it up and it was as smooth and sweet as a new car.

I was almost in tears by this point. Just a brilliant thing to look around. I even told him to give me a shout if he ever thought of selling it, although what I would actually do with it is another question.

Cheers
DP
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Sofa Spud
I saw a beige Morris Ital estate car on Sunday, on the road. It was in appalling condition with big holes everywhere.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Sofa Spud
Moskvitches were imported here in the early to mid 70's. It must be at least fifteen years since I last saw one.

Is it right that they became extinct here when they were found to be incapable of passing an MOT test even in tip-top condition, or is that an urban myth?
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - mike hannon
The Lancia Beta saloon story wasn't a fabrication, unfortunately. The letters pages of Motor Sport carried many stories from angry owners whose cars had failed their first MOT on difficult to rectify structural rust, long before the company (or importer) admitted something was amiss.
I am sure a number of Beta saloons were bought back and crushed, some - I think - at a scrapyard in south Somerset, but my memory may be faulty here.
Just to give Lancia some credit, I owned a Beta HPE up to its seventh birthday that didn't have a spot of rust anywhere and was a very good motor indeed. And a couple of years ago, here in France, I went to look at a 1977 Beta saloon that was the cleanest, most original car I think I've ever seen. (Didn't buy it though - it was white!).
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - cheddar
I regularly see a mint Marina 1.3 L coupe', it overtakes me around the outside of a tight right hander then I wake up sweating and all is well again, phew!

No, seriously a mint looking Marina cant recall the plate, must be about 76/77.
>>a beige Morris Ital>>

Beige doesn't show the Ital in its best light - the imperfections come to the fore...:-)
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - cheddar
>>a beige Morris Ital>>
Beige doesn't show the Ital in its best light -
the imperfections come to the fore...:-)

>>

Its best in the dark, in the fog, with sunglasses ................
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - bell boy
i borrowed this for you all but i do remember the problem and i also remember lancia buying rotten cars back off owners

1. Cam Belts

Gammas have an unenviable reputation when it comes to their toothed camshaft drive belt, and not without reason! The camshaft serving the nearside (left- hand) pair of cylinders also drives the power steering pump. A lack of development, in early cars in particular, showed itself when unsuspecting owners would start their Gammas on a cold morning with the steering on full lock. This would cause the cambelt to break / jump with the load from the steering pump, resulting in one pair of cylinders firing-up whilst the other pair tried to destroy themselves, at the least causing bent valves. Later models have revised belt tensioners, but are still known to suffer from this problem.
Friend of mine had a Gamma coupe (I preferred the armadillo look of the saloon myself) and it was a really nice motor. He didn't keep it very long though, can't remember why. Perhaps he swapped it for the Alfa GTV6 he had about the same time.
Friend of mine in the trade bought in a Gamma coupe some years ago. Failed to get it back from Plymouth to Weston-super-Mare with the engine in one piece.
I think he got over-adventurous after taking in and making money on a Maserati Quattroporte!
Yes, the Gamma coupe did look nice.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Group B
>>a beige Morris Ital

Theres a Morris Ital on ebay, and someone has bid on it at £99.99: snipurl.com/vzu9 . Feast your eyes on that dashboard! The seller also has a pic of an old Skoda but the text doesn't mention it. Is it supposed to be a buy one, get one free deal?
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - turbo11
Marina.Now that brings back memories.Looks like 745 too many
There's at least one Avenger roiund here, and a couple of early-sixties Ford Zodiacs.... Lasted better than the later ones it seems.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Micky
Lots of BL cars in Malta, which is surprising given the standard of Maltese driving.
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - Bagpuss
Just read an article in a German motoring magazine about some guy who's just finished restoring a 1970 Humber Sceptre. He claims proudly it's the only one in Germany still running. There are some mad people in this world.
You can say that again BP... oNE WONDERS HOW ANY hUMBER sCEPTRES, standard OVERDRIVE AND ALL, got into the country of Porrsche 356s and BMW 1800s etc....

Who on earth had the things? Demented British squaddies apart of course.

I wasn't shouting. fingered the caps lock by mistake. Can't be bothered to undo it. Are your ears sensitive or something?
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - mfarrow
Just read an article in a German motoring magazine about some
guy who's just finished restoring a 1970 Humber Sceptre. He claims
proudly it's the only one in Germany still running. There are
some mad people in this world.

That's because there used to be 3, but he used the other two as donor cars ;-)

--------------
Mike Farrow
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - glowplug
Never ever been in a Marina or Ital, though distinctly remember following a few of the TC Coupe's (I think that's what they were) and thinking they looked OK. What did I miss...

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
What did I miss ?

A car designed by comittee.
1930s rear suspension
1950s front suspension
Both of which conspired to make handling interesting.
An athsmatic engine from the 1940s (which in TC form actually sounded oko)
Patchy paintwork with lurid colours towards the end.
The word quality was never actually mentioned in the brief.

Otherwise a quite brilliant car
Top Ten 'Melting Motors' - glowplug
Sounds like a cult classic. However I don't think I could handle a cult car..

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
It's a shame really.
BMC was the only British mass-producer to try and forge ahead with modern engineering like front-wheel-drive, rubber or hydrolastic suspension, overhead camshaft engines, five-speed gearboxes etc but because the buying public was stuck in the past where Ford and others still supplied tin boxes on cart springs BMC thought it ought to sell something similar. As I recall even the dealers thought it was a backward step.
Now people only remember carp like the Marina.