What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mk IV Supra turbo - boost
Getting tempted by one of these now they're getting a bit cheaper. Anyone got one? What breaks? Bit worried about "downgrading" to a 6/7 year old car.
Manual or automatic.. ?

Tomo - what's the handling like.
Re: Mk IV Supra turbo - Dave N
I've not had one myself, but have driven and worked on a few, and I was impressed. Both manual and auto quick, easy to work on, built well. Unlike the mitsubishi 3000 and nissan 300.
Re: Mk IV Supra turbo - Alwyn
Never driven one but I recall someone saying they are tail-happy.

Slippin' and a-sliding........................
Re: Mk IV Supra turbo - sam
i actually think a good condition swift gti will beat one round any twisty roads

and a lot cheaper

but if u want a more "muscle" car look then go for it
Re: Mk IV Supra turbo - Tomo
Hello Boost.

Firstly, Toad is '95 Jap spec standard auto, with the 17" wheels and 320mm brakes; some earlier ones have only 16" and 295mm, which is hardly adequate, I think. On the other hand I was taken out in one with lowered suspension, wide 18" wheels and odds and ends like a drainpipe exhaust. It detected every little bump and was in my opinion a good car spoiled. I would be chary of mods generally unless I was sure they had been carried out by someone with a clue. A UK car could be best, but it might have rather a lot of miles (what I paid for was the 12,000 miles, which all appearances suggest is genuine, settling for the auto for the same reason).

Handling? Well, I have not been to Crail yet. As far as I can tell it can generate rather a lot of cornering power in the dry, and is more or less neutral (double wishbones all round). In the wet the tail can give a sobering twitch before the traction control cuts in and it would be daft to switch it off. The turn in is sharp, and the steering is accurate, as one would hope. The only thing I would suggest is that it feels also a little dead, like a motor bike with a touch of steering damper. I have driven a GS300 Lexus of much the same vintage which was similar in that respect.

Power is, as RR used to say, adequate and turbo lag is brief (small twin turbos come in sequentially) and there is torque at all revs.

It is very comfortable for two (another two would be comfortable too, if amputated above the knee, for goodness sake NOT the Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT by the way). Toad is not at all harsh in the suspension considering, and a big pussycat if you stay light on the throttle. Granny could manage him! Not sporting enough?

He is, by the way, on P-zeros. For excitement I should have kept the Nankangs perhaps. But I did not trust them and HJ would have put me over his knee!

There is quite a lot to learn about specs and things and a trawl on the net for Supras will find much of it. For starters:-

www.toyotasupra.com/exportmkiv.htm

www.mkivsupra.net/

www.qualityimports.co.uk

And for the best or worst on boots , www.mytyres.net

Insurance I can't say as I was able to carry on my classic insurance as a TEC member from my previous Celica Supra, at about double the cost.

Oh yes, Toyota Enthusiasts Club is in HJ's club directory.

Happy browsing, Tomo
Re: Mk IV Supra turbo - boost
Cheers for the info - was just worried it would be a nightmare in the wet.

We seem to be in the same part of the country if you're talking about Crail - where did you buy your car from?
Hello again.

Calder Motor Company, East Calder (near Livingstone - I'm on the other side of the Tay, though).

www.caldermotor.co.uk/

Cheers, Tomo
Very helpful Sam - anyway we've got a mini cooper for the twisties.
We've a Proton GTi to take SWMBO to out-patients and me to shops and things (we are rather antique). Prudence might just take a Cooper, too, given the chance!
Re: Mk IV Supra turbo - ian (cape town)
Let us know how you get on, boost.
It will be a refreshing change to have single-car conversations here, which are NOT devoted to C***oens and L***R*****.
Tomo

Had a look at the stock at Calders at the weekend.
Everything seemed to have an extreme body kit and/or the 18''s and lowered suspension you (rightly) advise against.
Didn't take a test drive cos I knew I'd come back with some body kitted 500bhp monster. Nice interior for a jap car, or any car even.
It's either gonna be a long search for the right one or something else maybe.

Aye............