Ford Ka PAS and spark plugs - DP
My sister has just picked up a really tidy 1998 Ka 1.3 from a friend for £500. It's in lovely condition, has done 77,000 miles and has a full service history (part Ford, part indie). I haven't yet seen it apart from in pics, but I've offered to give it a check over for her and make sure all the safety related stuff is OK.

The seller was very honest about the car, and pointed out two potential problems which will need looking into, hence it will fall to me to sort out.

The first is "stiff" steering, particularly when applying left lock and with a cold engine. According to her friend, it was perfectly OK until about a month or so ago when it suddenly started playing up. My sister reckons it's very noticeable on cold starts, but then slowly improves with running time. However, even then it always requires more effort to turn left than to turn right. The seller had the garage look at it, and they drained the PAS fluid, flushed the system through and refilled it (documented in the s/h). This apparently seemed to cure the problem for a week or so, but it returned. By which time the seller had her new car and decided to knock a couple of hundred off the price for my sister, and left it at that.

The second problem was an advisory from the last service that the spark plugs have "corroded in" . I've heard this mentioned on these engines before, and just wondered what the best way is to tackle this. I'm presuming Plus Gas, patience and perseverance, but I don't want to go down this route if there is an easier way.

Other than that, I think she got a bargain. It's a lovely little runabout.

Any suggestions on either of the above welcome, plus any particular things worth checking over on the Ka when I get around to looking at it.

Cheers as always

DP

Ford Ka PAS and spark plugs - henry k
Re spark plugs.

Try a forum search - top right..
This specific subject has been covered in depth before.
Ford Ka PAS and spark plugs - ChicksFan
Re: Spark plugs

You will find this specific link helpful I think. It relates to stuck spark plugs in a Seat, but the principle is the same. When you finally get them out in one piece use Copaslip on the threads of the new plugs when you reassemble. It'll save you trouble next time.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=44...3

Ron
Ford Ka PAS and spark plugs - trymybest
stiff steering on a ka is possibly the streering column u/j seizing up.u/j is not available separately.you have to buy a complete steering column
Ford Ka PAS and spark plugs - DP
Thanks for your help guys. Plenty to go on for now!

Cheers
DP