What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
JCB to offer on Jag - y2k+4
www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=...4

I'd love to see this happen. Everything I read in the article seems to be exactly what I think should be done with Jaguar (ie smaller coupe, remove the X-type, redesign the XJ) and he seems serious...of course won't happen if Ford decide not to sell it, but still...

And Britain would finally have a properly British car company.
JCB to offer on Jag - cjehuk
Looks positive on the surface, but if Jag is considered a Dog why not buy LR and Jag together as suggested the combination won't make a huge amount of money, then do the downsizing and turn both LR and Jag into a profitable operation?
JCB to offer on Jag - y2k+4
Maybe he doesn't believe he'd have the initial puchasing cost to buy both? You'd also have to actually invest a lot into Land Rover for it's future development (the new models make it unlikely they've got anything left in the development pipeline), and SUV sales are on a downturn, particularly in the US. Maybe LR won't too profitable in the long-term of which he speaks?
JCB to offer on Jag - Red Baron
And maybe they could bang in the 328mph engines as well.

On a more serious note, I fail to see what JCB would gain from buying Jaguar. If they wanted Land Rover then at least the two brands could support each other. JCB buying Jaguar is a bit like a Russian tycoon buying a Premiership football club. It appears common knowledge that Jaguar requires lot of money to bring it back to health, but success does not necessarily come from lots of cash. Jaguar, as a brand is not that strong although it well known. Jaguar F1 cars soon dissappeared when success was not forthcoming.
JCB to offer on Jag - Pugugly {P}
Good idea - I hope it works JCB is a secret success story in the Uk. How about the old XJ Coupe re-visited ? Just that it would be the XJC B (iykwim)
JCB to offer on Jag - Sofa Spud
If JCB wanted to enter the utility 4x4 market I'd have thought they'd develop their own vehicle, possibly buying in engines or maybe even developing their own. The JCB brand would have a lot of cred with Double-Cab Man, I'd have thought.
JCB to offer on Jag - bell boy
yes jcb could get david brown involved and build a car to beat everything with 4 wheel drive er just a minute i think this may have been done and the baby just ate money ;-(
JCB to offer on Jag - Kevin
There are still some good things going on at Jaguar but they need to translate ideas into products much quicker.

Why, oh why didn't this go into production in 2003?

www.jecsouthyorks.co.uk/rtype.jpg

www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/jaguar_r-d6.asp

I would have bought one.

Kevin...
JCB to offer on Jag - bell boy
i could live with the teashirt but the hats too much mate ;-)
car in background looks nice though ,is it a kit?
JCB to offer on Jag - Kevin
>i could live with the teashirt but the hats too much mate ;-)

Nahh, it's the sunglasses. You should only wear 'Dame Ednas' with that shirt.

>car in background looks nice though ,is it a kit?

Do you mean the green thing?

It's the Jag RD-6 concept car. A 2+2 4-door diesel hatchback.

In the flesh it's absolutely stunning.

Kevin...
JCB to offer on Jag - jc2
It's a money pit;it'll bankrupt JCB like it's bankrupting Ford.
JCB to offer on Jag - colinh
"Earlier this year, JCB recruited former Land Rover managing director Matthew Taylor as its head of sales and marketing. And there are now several other key employees at JCB who originally came from the car industry, inclu­ding leading designers."

"new military-spec 6.7-litre High Mobility Utility Vehicle (HMUV) are the start of an even more amazing project at the firm"

etc.,etc.

tinyurl.com/pmr5s

JCB to offer on Jag - PatrickO
Ford have diluted the brand too much. The S-type, fair enough but what's the score with that X-type, it's just a mondeo with a Jag badge. They should have kept it exclusive and I think they have now damaged the brand.
JCB to offer on Jag - Xileno {P}
JCB should stick at what they do best. Wherever you go in the world you can be guaranteed three things you will see - Marlboro cigarettes, Coco Cola and JCB's. They have built up an enviable world wide reputation and Jaguar will bring them down IMO.
I think there must be more behind JCB's Dieselmax record breaking car than a publicity stunt to sell more diggers!

It has now topped 350 mph., powered by two modified 4.4 litre, 4-cylinder JCB444 digger engines that rev to all of 3800 rpm! The record breaker's engines develop 750 bhp each, and 1500 nm of torque, with a running life expectancy of two hours!

My guess is that the biggest thing Dieselmax says about JCB is 'we are serious engine manufacturers'. In its way JCB's record car is as historic as Audi's R8 V10 TDI Diesel Le Mans winner, although Diesel Max has yet to beat the wheel-driven land speed record - now, I wonder if there's room in their car for a third engine!!!
JCB to offer on Jag - cheddar
Ford have diluted the brand too much. The S-type, fair enough
but what's the score with that X-type, it's just a mondeo
with a Jag badge. They should have kept it exclusive and
I think they have now damaged the brand.

We have done that one to death before though just to say it is a better car for being based on the Mondeo chassis not worse, who complains that their TT or A4 is based on the same chassis as an Octavia or Passat.
JCB to offer on Jag - cjehuk
Ford have diluted the brand too much. The S-type, fair enough
but what's the score with that X-type, it's just a mondeo
with a Jag badge.

What damaged the brand was expecting to sell 150k X-Types per annum not the 40k or so they do sell. As a result the production line is hugely over specified and hugely expensive to run for the units it does produce.
JCB to offer on Jag - JH
I want one in yellow and I can't wait to see the options list!
JH
I know the subject's been done to death before and that I've said this before, but.....

Platform sharing is all very well but in my opinion Jaguar's X-type has less grace and poise than the Ford Mondeo it's based on.