Renault Auto Gearbox - tomo heedman
Help!

My Renault 19TSE Auto with 1.4Energy lump has a mojor lack of motivation! Its down to the oil cooler that sits atop the auto box - it seems to have corroded and is dumping coolant in the transmission (and vice-versa)...

My question is, in this country, and as I never ever tow anything or go flat-out in the thing - does it really need this cooler. I know many cars dont even have one as standard so Im hoping that bypassing it will be a cheap fix to give the old thing some more life.

Any expert opinions would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Tom
Re: Renault Auto Gearbox - Honest John
A Renault 19 1.4 auto that has lasted this long is a near miracle. But it does need the ATF cooler for the simple reason that the torque converter of a 4-speed auto box coupled to a small engine in a relatively large car works very hard indeed, so needs its ATF cooling almost as as much as a big engined auto towing a caravan does.

HJ
Re: Renault Auto Gearbox - Tomo
I'd be careful if I wanted the car to go on for a bit. I suspect the makers would have saved themselves the cost of the cooler if they had thought they could get away with it.

Perhaps a better cooler from a scrapper? Cheaper than another box - or car.

Good luck,

Tomo
Re: Renault Auto Gearbox - Dave N
Seeing as you are going to have to replace the g/box anyway, you may as well replace the cooler as well.