What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Desperardo
After 2 visits to my local Ford dealership (Crank censor ,Fuel filter) they seem mistified by the cutting out problem, (car will immediately restart on the key) this occurs at any speed. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Reckless Engineer
Hi, I could becompletely wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but it may be an intermittent problem with the fuel stop/shut-off solenoid or the electrical feed to it?

Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Screwloose
Desperado

Could be almost anything if it's not leaving a code. Typically; things like this tend to be faulty system feed relays, loose wiring plugs/connexions, dodgy ignition switch contacts, shorting/broken wires/looms, bad/loose earths, etc. etc.
Thanks for the input screwloose ....Reckless Engineer......Great minds think alike !
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Falkirk Bairn
A friend had similar problems, when re-started they had a limp home mode. The problem was diagnosed as fuel injectors but at £180 they had only one replaced - total bill was around £300 inc labour & VAT.
Thenthe others started acting up - they used Redex for 2/3 weeks - this cleared the problem - the car appeared to drive 100%and they then traded their car rather than paying another £6-700 to fix the injectors - £500+ for parts + labour.

Prior to this they had problems with the crank sensor and an exhaust sensor. It was a 2nd hand car they had had for 3 mths - the car warranty for 12 mths excluded fuel injectors.
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Quinny100
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.37/2003
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 31.03.2003

Section: 303-04E

Model: Mondeo 2001 (Engine: 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi)

Markets: All

Subject: Engine cuts out

Summary

Should a customer express concern that the engine is cutting out, the probable cause is a failed connection of the fuel pressure sensor electrical connector. To rectify this concern, a modified fuel pressure sensor electrical connector should be installed.
If it does turn out to be the above, I think you have a legitimate right to complain to both the dealer and Ford. When you booked the car in and described the fault they should have run the details through and checked for any bulletins and provided those to the technican, who really should know about it anyway.

The whole point of these things is to stop dealers having to swap parts willy-nilly trying to solve common problems.
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - akey
I have had the same fault and have also had that modification carried out. I am unsure what it is supposed to change as it just looks like a purple connector has been installed. I followed the wires back to where it connects to the loom and there are no extra resistors and the such so I can only assume that they must have revised either the seals or connectors in the block.
In my case it was purely cosmetic as the cutting out fault reoccured within a matter of weeks. My dealer had my car for 6 or 7 weeks and it the fault was finally discovered when one of the technicials took the car home and it broke down on him. The garage replaced another sensor which I believe was fuel pressure or temp related but I will check. However I do remember the garage were a little cagey about supplying too much information.
My car still stalls, mainly when hot but from what I understand, it is done to protect the dual mass flywheel from becoming overloaded and subsquently damaged.
Many Thanks......................Akey .............Falkirk Brian ...................Quinney 100

{Shouting amended - DD}
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Aprilia
>>My car still stalls, mainly when hot but from what I understand, it is done to protect the dual mass flywheel from becoming overloaded and subsquently damaged.

Who on Earth told you that??
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - akey
It came to me via three routes. The first was through one of the many dealers that my car has spent its life at! The second was from my car fleet manager. We have a fleet of mondeos and focus's with stalling problems. Our company had a meeting with Ford Technical and this information was divulged at that time. Oh and by dad works for the AA and he told me that he has lost count of how many clutches have gone bang after only a few thousand miles. He also told me that he had been advised that stalling was a major problem and it was caused by the engine management system detecting too much loading and causing a deliberate stall to prevent damage to the dual mass flywheel.
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - cheddar
Mondeo TDCis (though not Focus TDCis) are perhaps easier to stall than average needing a balance between too little throttle and a stall and too much throttle and thus rather too much boost and a lairy take off. I stalled a demo TDCi a few times when I had it for a 48 hour drive and also my own perhaps half a dozen times in the first week or so of having it however it really has not been a problem in 109,000 miles, I have probably not stalled it more than another half dozen times over that mileage.

I dont see how a deliberate stall would protect the flywheel, I would suggest to the contrary. Also the stall is surely a result of not enough load rather than too much.
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Aprilia
I dont see how a deliberate stall would protect the flywheel,
I would suggest to the contrary. Also the stall is surely
a result of not enough load rather than too much.

Yes, I agree with this. Revving the engine harder (to lessen the chance of a stall) increases the load on the flywheel, not the other way around. FWIW I have always found the Ford C-Max TDCi rather easy to stall and also the Pug HDi's.
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - quizman
My Focus TDCI was very easy to stall when new. At the first service the dealer did something to the management system and it has been better since then.
Perhaps your Mondeo needs this. I know that it is difficult to find a decent dealer to do this, but GK at Chesterfield were very good.
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - Number_Cruncher
Although I haven't given this a huge amount of thought, I would think that it would be easier to implement a really fast idle speed controller on a common rail injection engine, which would make them very difficult to stall. Am I missing something?

Number_Cruncher
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - cheddar
Although I haven't given this a huge amount of thought, I
would think that it would be easier to implement a really
fast idle speed controller on a common rail injection engine, which
would make them very difficult to stall. Am I missing
something?
Number_Cruncher

Idle speed control, good point, think another factor may be the complex control of the injection timing/volume so as to provide a smooth and relatively quiet idle and the transition from this 'mode' as one opens the throttle and lets the clutch out. Certainly the Mondeo idles in a very petrol like way most unlike the very urgent thrum from a PD VW TDi or DI GM DTi, these are perhaps giving larger more constant doses into each cylinder perhaps proving a more robust idle though accordingly with more noise and vibration.

However as I say I really dont see a problem with the Mondeo stall / take off once one gets used to it's charateristics.
Cheers for the imput......the beast in question is back at the local main dealers tomorrow hopefully they will resolve.....will post outcome......!
Well here we go again ! back from the main dealers.. 3rd Visit....surprising no code left....tested for swarf Ok....no air in system Ok......retested wds fault code p0251.....(what ever this means).....fitted Valve assembly PU.(S.F fuel metering valve)....then told if this doesnt fix it its probably the inj pump at about £1000...already spent around £450 on guesswork.....sorry technicans experience...well here goes fingers crossed
Mondeo TDCI 02 Cutting Out Anyspeed - mfarrow
p0251.....(what ever this means)

www.autodiagnos.com/ford_diagnostic_trouble_codes....f

"P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A Malfunction"

... whatever that means ;-)

--------------
Mike Farrow
P0251 is usually a failure of the common rail fuel pressure sensor, which is exactly the problem described in the bulletin above!
Thanks Quinny for yet more input and your valuable time to date.....Mike Farrow posted really useful information about a website on ford fault codes which we will be all hammering to death
Update on the car.... all Fine so far.....! Thanks again to all