mpv for towing? - stevedan
Family of 6 need to upgrade beaten up old 405 estate and need some advice! There a fairly big list of criteria new car needs to fit!
This is sole family car, so needs to be fairly economical to run - (at least, no really big 4x4's)
At least 6 seats
Not too low slung - We live out on the moors and lanes get big ruts - 405 just about ok, old Mondeo would lose it 's exhaust from time to time.
And this is the stumbling point - must occasionally tow small horsebox - combined weight of 2 ponies 600kg max, plus trailer weight . Local use only, but it's very hilly.

Question is, would an MPV fit the bill? In an ideal world, I'd have a Subaru Forester with 7 seats, but haven't seen any of these, and realistically, £6 to£7 k is the most we can afford. Are any of the MPV's man enough for the job ( I think the tow weights do come within most manufacturer guidelines, but I am concerned about safety and handling using an MPV and not a 4x4
Thanks for any advice!
mpv for towing? - Falkirk Bairn
Jap imports - 4wd Mitsubishi Delicia - might fit the bill - there are alos Jap Toyotas with 4wd that look like normal Toyota MPV styles
mpv for towing? - Gromit {P}
There's a diesel 4motion (4x4) version of the current VW Transporter Shuttle that might fit the bill. You wouldn't be stuck for space to carry tack and baggage when towing the pony box either.

Have a look at the CBCB for details.

Might also be worth checking the caravan club's towcar recommendations - I seem to recall the Skoda Superb and Fiat Multipla winning towcar of the year at various times, and neither is 4x4. I've seen a Ford Galaxy tow a 25 foot trailer-sailer boat (probably 1.5 tons all-up) but I can't vouch for how well the rig would handle on the road!