What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saving on Road Tax - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Not a loophole we have over here then.....

www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1935225.html?menu=ne...e

Saving on Road Tax - Westpig
I think i'm correct in saying that break-down trucks pay no tax......so........ if you're willing to carry a tow rope!!!
Saving on Road Tax - artful dodger {P}
>>I think i'm correct in saying that break-down trucks pay no tax.

And I believe are also exempt from an MOT.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Saving on Road Tax - martint123
Looks like it may have changed.

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm#Recovery%20V...s

Recovery Vehicles

Over Not over 12 months rate
3,500 25,000 165.00
25,000 - 410.00

Saving on Road Tax - bell boy
and if you register it as a recovery you can"t nip down wickes to put some fence posts on the back ,so you may as well register it as car transporter
Its a long long time since you could run these on trade plates
cheapest road tax is a compressor vehicle only i believe.......or maybe thats changed too now?
Saving on Road Tax - Galaxy
I believe Fire Engines are exempt from Road Tax!

Saving on Road Tax - daveyjp
As are most official Government vehicles. Are police vehicles? I saw a police van with no tax the other week.
Saving on Road Tax - Westpig
police vehicles are exempt, (same as ambulances and fire engines) but they put one in anyway... if you're sad enough to look at the tax disc it says 'nil' for payment.

Saving on Road Tax - bell boy
i will call one out now and have a look ;-)
Saving on Road Tax - Hamsafar
Gritters are one of the few vehicles that can use red diesel on the road and have a V5.
Most vehicles which have a V% must not use red diesel ever, even off road or for PTO.
However, I have considered having a cup of grit at the back fastened to the rear wiper!
Saving on Road Tax - Cliff Pope
Is that really true? A private gritter, which might only be a lorry with a grit dispenser on the back, can use red diesel? If true, how often does it have to be used for gritting to still be a gritter?
Saving on Road Tax - Martin Devon
Not a loophole we have over here then.....
www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1935225.html?menu=ne...e

The Authorities Don't like initiative, do they?
Saving on Road Tax - ffidrac {P}
Being disabled with the highest rate for mobility component of DLA I do not pay road tax (VED or whatever it's called this week)

BUT there are limitations:

The vehicle has to be used for the benefit of the disabled person (me).

I.E. missus can go shopping in it on her own if she is, for example, collecting a perscription for me at the same time.

HOWEVER she couldn't drive to work in it as that doesn't benefit me (people do argue the point that earning money benefits the whole family including the disabled person but it is a 'grey' aera).

Also I have just discovered (whilst ordering a new Yaris) that by registering the vehicle as disabled tax class on first registration, the £38.00 first registration fee is waived.

Add to this that the fitting of my wheelchair hoist before I take delivery of my new car (the fitting carried out by a 3rd party and billed on the vehicle supply invoice) makes the car VAT exempt as well!

(Got a higher spec for less money than the base model OTR price!)

Sorry to go 'off topic' a bit but the relief is out there if you 'qualify'.