What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - njs01
On occasions the tick over jumps from 900rpm upto 1400rpm - if you hold up the accelerator pedal with your foot the revs will drop, but as soon as you release revs return to previous level. If ignition is switched off when high reving occurs and then engine restarted then tickover will return to the 900rpm. I have had this to my local garage and they have hooked it to the computer - no fault found. They have taken this to the local fford dealer who did some adjustment but still no better. As I say this does not happen all the time and in no way effects the performance of the car - one other thing that occurs is when you take your foot off the accelerator the car will carry on motoring ....slightly scarry if you are not alert !!
Does anyone have any idea what could be the matter as I appear to be hitting a brick wall !!! Thanks
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - bell boy
I appear to be hitting a brick wall

you soon will if its not fixed,take it to ford yourself and see if indeed it has been in their workshops,

Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - DP
Am I right in thinking this is the Endura DI engine with the "Drive by wire" throttle? If so, there is only a throttle position sensor on the top of the pedal which translates your throttle inputs to the fuel pump. There is no mechanical linkage at all.

A Focus TD I had for a couple of weeks did this once in heavy traffic. I lifted off and it carried on accelerating. Most unnerving. The Ford dealer changed the throttle position sensor and it seemed fine afterwards, although as I say I only had it a couple of weeks.

Nothing on these systems is DIY-able. I would do as oldman says and go back to Ford.

Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - Snakey
My 2002 Focus TDDI (with the drive by wire throttle as well I believe) also does this occasionally, although the revs only tend to go up to around 1100-1150 it still is at best annoying in traffic, at worst dangerous.

However, it is so intermittent I haven't bothered taking it to a dealer as they will probably require the car for a week or so!

Is it a simple straight swap to replace this sensor? Might be worth testing out one from a scrapyard if its cheap enough.
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - AndyT
It's a characteristic of the Focus, a sort of electronic anti-stall feature.
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - mss1tw
I got told exactly the same thing about my old 1.3 not dropping the revs...Maybe it's true in this case but it's total cobblers for petrols...
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - Snakey
It might be a characteristic of Focii, but when your'e sitting in traffic and the revs stay at 1100 the whole car shakes so I doubt its by design!

Its always when the engine is nice and warm as well. My old petrol Focus used to keep the revs higher than I'd expect at standstill, but only for the first few minutes when the engine was cold.
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - cheddar
If there is a pedal position sensor on the clutch pedal it may have come loose, otherwise have you changed the clutch or bled it (assuming it is hydraulic) so it opertes at a different pedal position, might be worth replacing it, can confuse the system if faulty.
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - David Horn
Maybe you just need a bigger spring on the accelerator pedal.
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - AndyT
Sorry Snakey, I didn't realise you meant when at standstill. I meant when moving slowly say, in a traffic jam, you will feel a slight surge at times.

As like for the OP, I could only suggest a new throttle pedal unit, or borrow one for a while!
Ford Fiesta 2002 1.8 TD - nelly edwards

I have exact same problem on my 2000 W reg fiesta 1.8 td, also when driving it will go down to tick over speed 900 rpm approx and the glow plug light will flash! Have you had any luck with your's? if you do could you please let me know, Many thanks!