What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A little bit of rain - Stuartli
We had our first rain for about a fortnight about two hours ago - short and sweet but heavy whilst it lasted.

Nipped to Tesco about half-an-hour ago and was surprised at the numbr of cars with headlights and/or foglights blazing away. Ratio was about one in six over the two miles each way journey.

Yet visibility, despite an overcast sky, is probably miles and the air is as clean as you could wish.

Why do these morans use any excuse to have the halogen bulbs aglow?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
A little bit of rain - grafen
TBH, I don't find the use of headlights (unless full beam) to be a problem at all. Better to be seen...

BTW, what's a moran?
A little bit of rain - Civic8
Totally agree grafen,dipped beam should be law here in all weathers!
--
Steve
A little bit of rain - Xileno {P}
My old physics teacher was Mr Moran...
At least it wasnt moron,Xileno as I think was meant ; )
--
Steve
A little bit of rain - hillman
All joking aside, remember that the first rain after a long dry period lands on top of a thin layer of rubber debris on the road and leaves a surface like an ice rink. Take it easy !!
A little bit of rain - Pugugly {P}
Take it easy !! - Especially in a RWD !
>>Take it easy !! - Especially in a RWD !

Wont really matter,the rain on top of rubber and oil residues brings the deposits to above water level,causing a skid type surface,not many cars or 4x4`s can deal with surface water that is full of oil`s and rubber.especially not in this weather,taking care is advised whatever motor you have.
and even more due to dryspell we have now
--
Steve
>>BTW, what's a moran?>>

Moron on what a moran is later...:-)
A little bit of rain - Tomo
We have just had the first rain here for a long time. I do not care too much about other peoples' lights, I suit myself. What amuses me is that the car users have started to collide with things owing to the slippery roads.

Toad is confined to barracks!
A little bit of rain - Robin Reliant
You could get into long arguments about the rights and wrongs of daytime headlights, personally I find them as irritating as foglight use at dusk. Poor visibility fair enough, but most times visability is not reduced when it is raining.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
A little bit of rain - Armitage Shanks {p}
In Jordan I had the misfortune to be out and about when the first rain for 3 months fell. I hear dthat something is put into the asphalt mix to stop it melting in temps of 50C+. A spin off of this is that the road sweats a fluid which, when mixed with a bit of rain, produces a driving surface like sheet glass with oil on it! Perhaps there is a similar effect here and of course we have the oil drips and spills at traffic lights and bus stops - Motor cyclists beware especially!
A little bit of rain - Chas{P}
Noticed the same thing.

There's a close correlation with the these people keeping their shades on when it goes overcast and they think it's duller by the factor of the tint.

Look at the oncoming traffic the next time and you'll see what I mean.
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Lights cam on on auto this PM so blame the software.
It is usually possible to cancel this function and gain the control of the lights - depends on the car but you can in most PSA barges. Details somewhere in the handbook
A little bit of rain - Hamsafar
The current version of the Highway Code (why can't they leave the damn book the same for 5 years or so) says you should use dipped headlights in dull daytime weather, well, that's 9 months of the year is it? maybe they are buttering us up for DRLs which I believe the EU has recently decreed will be fitted to all new cars yet again in a couple of years.
Rember all the guff about the increased fuel consumption from loons with their Ingerlund flags on their cars? What will be the amount of extra fuel burned if every moving vehicle in UK drives around 24/7 with its lights on? My maths aren't up to calculating what 120 watts of extra electrical load relates to as mpg, thinking of head, side and rear lights all on.
Hmmm, typical IC engine 32% efficient, alternator 75% efficient. 1 litre of diesel = 41,000,000 joules
120 watts/hr - 432,000 joules per hour.

41000000/432000 = ~95 hours per litre

So for every 95 hours the lights are on, the additional fuel consumed will be in the order of 1 litre.
Sorry, I forgot about the efficiency adjustment, so it would be 23 hours per litre.!
Ashok. Thanks for saving my addled and overloaded brain from that calculation! So, to round figures, a car is going to use 1 litre per day assuming 24 hour's use which is a nonsense, of course! Shall we say a litre a week, 50 litres a year and 25 million vehicles on the road? That is a load of fuel and it will cost a huge amount more in cash and polluting gases, than the cost of the lives which may be saved by it! Ie Usual nanny state Health and Safety rubbish!
A little bit of rain - David Horn
How dare someone switch on their headlights in the rain! If they bother you in daylight you're a bit sensitive about these things, and if you get blinded by foglights or headlights in the day, then, well, you need your eyes checked.

* It got pretty gloomy here in Rochdale, lots of people had their lights on.
** I get annoyed by foglights on when they're not needed. Assume drivers are morons and keep clear.

AAAaaand... breathe. :)
How dare someone switch on their headlights in the rain!>>

This was not what I stated in my thread - I have no quibble with that if it is necessary. It's those who leave them on in good visibility that grates...:-)

As for being dazzled by headlights during the day it may surprise you to know that this can briefly happen with today's modern headlights if a vehicle coming towards you, for instance, passes over a slight rise.

I'm not claiming it's dangerous, but it can prove a distraction in certain circumstances.
A little bit of rain - Wee Willie Winkie
You might notice that most of the Arriva buses have their headlights on during the day in Southport. Proven to reduce accidents apparently....
>>most of the Arriva buses have their headlights on during the day in Southport>>

All the Arriva buses feature dipped headlights in the resort, which is where I live ...:-)

Often thought though that if you can't see a single or double-decker bus in broad daylight.......
Lights are on, accidents are reduced. Two facts but maybe not connected? What proof is there.
More speed cameras over all in UK, road deaths on the rise. Connected? Probably not, unless you are anti cameras!
I cannot see what the problem is with having dipped beam on during hot weather,some cars are not easily seen during bright weather and tend to disappear or not be seen.

having the beam on allows other drivers to see them coming and help prevent accidents,caused by sun in direct view of oncoming vehicle preventing this motor being seen,In this respect I feel its a good idea.

main beam is not needed as mentioned,but reckon the dipped beam should stay
--
Steve
A little bit of rain - doug_r1
If you can't see a car coming your way (in good visibility) without having it's lights on, then you really should get to an optician pronto.
A little bit of rain - bell boy
If you can't see a car coming your way (in good
visibility) without having it's lights on, then you really should get
to an optician pronto.

grey cars in the urban enviroment blend in ( ie silver)
in the country green cars blend in............

A little bit of rain - doug_r1
If everyone has their lights on you just have light, and then everyone blends into the background. There isn't much green tarmac around my way, so I don't have much trouble spotting green cars.
>>grey cars in the urban enviroment blend in ( ie silver)>>

>>so I don't have much trouble spotting green cars.>>

No one's had any problem either spotting my Reflex Silver VW Bora during the three years it's been gracing my local urban environment...:-)
Reserch into daytime headlights has come up with the answer that it is safer. However, other reserchers have come to the conclusion that it increases danger. so once again it is down to which set of "experts" you believe.

My own view is that it makes it harder to judge the approach speed and closing distance of other vehicles, and for this reason the last five years of my recently ended motorcycling career were done without using daytime lights. I had no more incidents of vehicles emerging into my path than during the time I rode with lights on. I believe it is one of those things that on the surface seems clear cut, that using lights makes you more visible, but I have read some very thought provoking reserch by a police accident investigator which gives the opposite point of view, and many advanced motorcycle instructors are of the same opinion.

In good visibility a vehicle can easily be seen even if it is not using lights by all but the blind. Anyone who has trouble doing so would be so dangerous they would not get out of there own road without hitting something. The excuse used by drivers who emerge into someones path and then say "sorry mate, I didn't see you" in reality means I wasn't paying attention and just took no notice of you and I totally misjudged your speed.

Lights show up much better at night than during the day, so if the logic that lights make you safer is true, then you would expect the accident rate to fall after dark as everyone is lit. The opposite is in fact true, accidents increase dramatically after dark, and although lights are nescessesary after dark the reason is that the glare from a lit vehicle makes it's approach speed and closing distance harder to judge, as I have already stated.
--
A little bit of rain - PoloGirl
One of my driving instructor's many little poems was:

"If you need to wipe, you need your lights"

I think it's pretty sensible actually - why not take every precaution to make sure people can see you? Glaring foglights is another issue but I can't believe anyone is really that bothered by sidelights/dipped headlights in the rain.

One of my driving instructor's many little poems was:

One of the many little sayings in the Driving Instructors Training Manual, treated as gospel because it rhymes and it is funny. Never questioned because nobody ever thinks about it.
--
Certainly caused some havoc in the last BTTCC race on ITV this afternoon - justice too for Colin Turkington...:-)
Never questioned because nobody ever thinks about it.

Another reason for sticking every potential car driver on an underpowered motorbike for a year - lit up euroboxes are easier to see in poor light.
A little bit of rain - DP
Most modern motorcycles don't even have a headlight switch any more. The light is permanently wired on - you just get to choose between main and dipped beam.
Mine does that - apparantly there's a software switch for it though - at a price !
A little bit of rain - mk124
What kind of sunlight are we talking about, in connection with danger in having lights on. I find when I am drving and the sun is very strong, but low down in the sky their is lots of glare. Glare from the dashbord, the dirty windscreen, the road etc. In these conditions drving into the sun cars can just melt into the shade if they don't have their lights on. This makes them dangous and I feel it beter for them to have lights on. If on the other hand it is a clear day, just passed noon without any glare and I see car with lights on I think the driver has something wrong with them.
A little bit of rain - Cliff Pope

One of the many little sayings in the Driving Instructors Training Manual, treated as gospel because it rhymes and it is funny>>

It doesn't rhyme, and it isn't funny.