What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MB C class electronic autoboxes - Simon Saxton

There are reports of abnormally high failure rates of the MB 722.6 autoboxes between 60-100k. These are no longer given interim oil changes(sealed for life)
HJ always recommends such changes.The boxes are also fitted to Jaguar & RR.
Has HJ or anyone confirmation of this rumour ?
regards
Simon
Re: MB C class electronic autoboxes - RogerL
I thought that Rolls-Royce and Bentley have always used a GM autobox from the US capable of handling 7-8 litres worth of torque.
Re: MB C class electronic autoboxes - Honest John
No, haven't heard of this. Jag claims that using sealed autoboxes prevents contamination by dirt on the diptick, etc. And, of course, no toque converter box can ever be 100% drained without completely dismantling it, so ATF changes are usually only of 70%, or maybe 90% using a dialysis type machine. I guess that by RR Simon means Range Rover.

HJ
Re: MB C class electronic autoboxes - Simon Saxton

Thanks for that HJ- reassuring! please disregard my E/M on subject, Tiscali playing up again. Range Rover I meant.

regards
Simon
Re: MB C class electronic autoboxes - Simon Saxton

Thanks for that HJ- reassuring! please disregard my E/M on subject, Tiscali playing up again. Range Rover I meant.

regards
Simon
Re: MB C class electronic autoboxes - Fred Stoat
When I was in company cardom my N reg C class auto failed at 70k. SWMBO's P reg 5 speed auto failed at 18k and again at 30k - one of the reasons we don't drive Mercs any more.
Re: MB C class electronic autoboxes - RogerL
Sorry guys, I've always known RR as Rolls-Royce, it's a history thing.