What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Other-driver uncomfortableness - ian (cape town)
Stupid, I know, but ...
My car has just been in for an auto-gearbox fix.
Apart from the old arm-and-leg bill, it just doesn't feel *right*... It's running fine, no apparent problem, but ...
This same phenomena occurs every time anybody else drives my car - be it brother, sister, mother, father, workmate, mechanic etc
Despite often NOT having to adjust the seat/mirrors/steering wheel/etc, it just doesn't feel *right* ...
In between, I don't drive another car, so it isn't that ...
Am I just being paranoid, or do other folk feel this way?
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - Andy
Yes Ian. I often can't get it quite right after it's been in for a service. I usually find it's the seat fore/aft position just one 'click' out. It is surprising what a difference this makes.
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - Carl 2
Could it be a case of fuzzy logic?
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - Bono Estente
Had a new clutch installed in a remote Highland town. No choice; it wouldn't go up steep hills any more, and the only downhill route led to the Skye ferry.
They'd adjusted it so as it engaged with the pedal halfway up instead of near the top, presumably so as to allow for any rapid bedding in. It drove fine, but somehow the whole car felt different. I felt I was driving home in someone else's car, and it wasn't until we reached Birmingham that it began to feel familiar again.
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - David W
Ian,

Nothing to do with the recently thinned wallet?

David
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - Phil Oliver
My car, also an auto, was as rough as anything after a service, with gears changing at all the wrong times, just as when new. After a run it settled to my driving style again. I think the ECU must have gone back to default settings when the diagnostic thingy was plugged in.
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - gwyn parry
mmmm, yes, Vectra went in the other day for a full Valet (well it deserved it) left it all day and picked it up on the way home, apart from being unusually clean it did feel different. Maybe for the reasons given; been left with a nagging (but unfounded, hopefully) that the company may have chosen to use it for the butty run and been flashed by countless speed cameras in the process, now there's an awful thought.
Re: Other-driver uncomfortableness - steve paterson
I have a very funny book called The meaning of liff. It's a sort of dictionary.
Shrivenham is described as "The vague uncomfortable you get when sitting on a seat which is still warm from somebody else's bottom"