What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rail Crash - Peter Mason
Yesterday I read (Independent) that the government's statisticians had worked out that the Selby crash scenario wouldn't re occur for 350 years....
Then I watched News at Ten this evening...
P.
Re: Rail Crash - Mark (Brazil)
for those of us a few thousand miles away, what happened ?
Re: Rail Crash - lada riva owner.
I heard that a lorry crashed through the brick walled bridge onto the train track, and then a train hit the lorry.

thankfully nobody died.
Prat. Someone died. I just read it. Go away.
Re: Rail Crash - lada riva owner.
i read it on yahoo.co.uk it said that people were hurt but thankfully nobody lost they life.

i know i am an idiot, but i would NEVER say anything horrible about someone that died in a train crash, i honestly didnt know.
Re: Rail Crash - confused
It is beter to get owns facts correct before rushing to print and causing distress to people,being new to this forum it seems clear to me already you make quite a habit of foot in mouth syndrome.
Re: Rail Crash - Alyn Beattie
Mark

Normally enjoy reading your posts but this comment is a bit out of order.

Chris answered you promptly with information he believed to be correct. You owe him an apology.
Re: Rail Crash - Tomo
hear, hear.
Re: Rail Crash - David W
Alyn,

I tried so hard to be fair with ladas after he sent me the LR brochures...credit where it's due etc.

Thing is.......

Mark 1500 posts from experience and giving some damm good info plus laughs.

Ladaboy 1000 posts, some laughs but...... again I'm not going to be unkind but you get the point. The boy who cried "ladas" and all that.

More importantly I was too smug about the LR doors. Managed to get the rear door fitting with panel gaps to BMW standards and replacement seals, took ages. Then a few days later went to pop on the strip that protects the rear floor edge and holds the rubber mat....guess what. Door was too low to close over the strip, I had to remove and re-fit the door including the lock and anti-burst catch.

Oh well I do keep saying two forward and three back.

David
Re: Rail Crash - Alyn Beattie
Glad to hear all is well in Landie world. The very thought of doors fitting correctly shook my faith in ingood old British vehicle building :-)
Re: Rail Crash - Flat in Fifth
Alyn Beattie wrote:
>
> Glad to hear all is well in Landie world. The very thought of
> doors fitting correctly shook my faith in ingood old British
> vehicle building :-)

Hang on a minute gentlemen, I recall a Porsche 356 with one door 3/4" longer than the other one, and it hadn't been crasked, or even crashed.
Peter,

Hardly the same level of accident. Other than the fact that a van was struck on the rails, and you better believe that happens more than every 350 years.

I think it was the sequence of events and happenings at Selby which made it unusual and unlikely.

M.
Re: Rail Crash - Andy P
From the news, it appears that a Mercedes van, on a dead-end B road, crashed through a brick wall, went down the embankment and ended up on the railway line. Driver of the van was killed. Slight injuries to most of the train passengers (a two-carriage commuter).

Andy
Re: Rail Crash - Ian Cook
The trouble with statistics is - they are precisely that. They are not facts. The probability of another Selby in 350 years would have taken account of the probability of several concurrent events and of the consequences, such as:

Vehicle "straying" onto railway line.

Train imminent, and hitting vehicle

Second train imminent, and hitting first train

Trains being full of people - subsequent level of injury

Etc, etc. The difference with the crash at Nocton was in the consequences. It will be interesting to see whether it attracts the same attention from the police as the Selby crash, because it should. It could have had the same result!

Ian
Re: Rail Crash - Alwyn
Ian,

I read a few weeks ago that there have been 29 instances of vehicles on railway lines since Selby.
Re: Rail Crash - Flat in Fifth
Ian Cook wrote:
>
> Etc, etc. The difference with the crash at Nocton was in the
> consequences. It will be interesting to see whether it
> attracts the same attention from the police as the Selby
> crash, because it should. It could have had the same result!
>

Probably not Ian because there is no one to prosecute.

Oops that was a bit sarcastic, hope I'm not turning into T**o. ;-(
Re: Rail Crash - pete
It was a very unlucky circumstance. There is only about one train an hour on this route so for someone to land on the line and then get hit is long odds. Hit and killed just makes it worse.
Re: Rail Crash - Rob F
The 'every 350 years' scenario is when a vehicle leaves the road *and* ends up on the rails *and* an on coming train hits the vehicle *and* (the important bit) another train is coming the other way at the same time.

Trains hitting cars (excluding level crossings) happens with frightening regularity, if the R4 report I heard is accurate.

Rob F
Re: Rail Crash - Brian
Correct, Rob F
The figure quoted this morning was around 4 per annum in the UK of trains hitting vehicles, not sure whether that includes or excludes level crossing incidents or just vehicles going onto the track at strange places.
Re: Rail Crash - Simon Butterworth
Cars will go through walls/fences and fetch up on railway lines with monotonous regluarity just as they end up on adjacent roads or in peoples living rooms. The difference at Selby was not just the passing of the barriers and co incident arrival of both passenger and freight trains but the existence of a set of facing points immediately beyond the point of impact with Harts Landy/trailer. These diverted the partialy de railed but still upright GNER train into the path of the freight. It is also aruable that the fact that the GNER train was being propelled by a loco at the rear and driven from a relatively lightweight driving van trailer at the front had some bearing on the dynamics of the impact.