What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Zebra
An article at

tinyurl.com/ox7us

has interesting views on the recent reports about 4x4 drivers and mobiles. It?s not a motoring or pro-4x4 site, by the way. It prides itself on its rational, critical approach.

The article ends:

?This is another ropey attempt at demonstrating that 4x4s are bad; that they are symbols of greed and a reckless disregard for others. In the meantime, researchers have driven an anti-4x4 juggernaut through the pages of the BMJ.?

I?d be interested to read Backroomers? views on the article.

Zebra
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - AlastairM
I'm glad someone is pointing out the often very biased way some surveys are carried out. Shame the "people in power" don't take that into account before making policies, then new laws and taxes.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - NowWheels
The article is a very good example of an attempt to dismiss to use innuendo and name-calling to dismiss a case. Worthy of the Daily Mail.

For example, the article does nothing to undermine the research on mobile phone usage: it just tries to claim that since most people are not involved in an accident, a quadrupling of the risk is insignificant.

In narrow terms, that's a logical argument, alright ... but it's hardly a rational one, since road accidents are one of the biggest causes of accidental death.

Even more bizarrely, they try to offset this with the prospect of reduced injury for the occupants of 4X4s ...which is where things get interesting. Apart from the fact that the prospect is not entirely true, what the Spiked journalists end up setting out is a scenario where the 4x4 drivers maintain or increase their own safety, whilst endangering others.

Despite Spiked's attempt to label the article as ropey, that does indeed add up to "a reckless disregard for others".

Spiked also tries to attack the BMJ report because the researcher may not correctly have identified which vehicles were 4X4s, and may have missed out ordinary cars with 4WD but not the off-road features.

So what? All that means is that the vehicles should be referred to as "offroad 4X4s" rather than as plain old "4X4s". It doesn't alter the finding that there is a type of vehicle who driver is four times as likely to be selfish enough to phone while driving.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Number_Cruncher
NW, although I suspect our views on this subject aren't in great alignment, I do tend to agree with your analysis of the article; particularly this conclusion:-

>>Worthy of the Daily Mail.

Number_Cruncher
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - mss1tw
Why don't people just say they have a problem with SUV's rather than 4x4's? Seems easy enough to me...

Impreza - Yes please
X5 - Wouldn't have one if you paid me.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Statistical outlier
It seems clear that this is what they meant by 4x4. The article in question was wilfully misunderstanding that by my reading.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Manatee
>>Impreza - Yes please
>>X5 - Wouldn't have one if you paid me.

I would have neither. Shame our impartial researcher didn't provide the "phone in hand" figures for Imprezas and X5s...
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - turbo11
>>Impreza - Yes please
>>X5 - Wouldn't have one if you paid me.

I'd like both please.Doesn't bother me what other people drive.If its for sale then anyone has the right to buy it.A little less preaching would be nice.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Dalglish
...I do tend to agree with your analysis of the article ...

>.

which one, the original bmj study or the "spike-online" one, or both ?

...I do tend to agree with your analysis of the article ...

>.

which one, the original bmj study or the "spiked-online" one, or both ?

Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Number_Cruncher
Unless I've misread NW's post, I understood her analysis to refer to the spiked article.

... I understood her analysis to refer to the spiked article

>>

ok, so do you and nowwheels agree with the flawed (imo) bmj article?

NW, as usual on this subject your analysis is basically the case for the prosecution.

Quote: " It doesn't alter the finding that there is a type of vehicle who driver is four times as likely to be selfish enough to phone while driving."

It's not the vehicle that's the problem; it's the drivers - and they are found in all vehicle types. If you took the 4x4's off those bad eggs who choose them, would they change? And wheher is the analysis of other arbitrary categories - MPVs, Audi TTs, newer cars, older cars, bigger cars, smaller cars, red cars, silver cars? And what about the 92% of "off road 4x4" drivers who were not observed on the phone? Are they damned also?

The article cited by Spiked does a poor job of debunking the so-called study, but as a piece of research it sounds pretty ropey to me, even if we take the data as being accurate.

99% of statistics, if not actually made up, are misused, and otherwise intelligent people are taken in every time (vide the Sally Clark trial travesty). I would be amazed if the report in BMJ (no I haven't read it, only heard the incompetent BBC reporting) stands up to scrutiny in design, data collection, or conclusions.

No case to answer m'Lud.
It's not the vehicle that's the problem; it's the drivers

Hmm. I think we may differ on whether the vehicles are a problem, but this report wasn't about the vehicles -- it was about the drivers.
- and they are found in all vehicle types.

True, but what this study showed was that they were disproportionately found in this particular type of vehicle.

>>True, but what this study showed was that they were disproportionately found in this particular type of vehicle.

Good grief. NW. Do you think it's driving a 4x4 that makes people use the phone that? Stupid question - I know you do...enough already.
>>True, but what this study showed was that they were disproportionately
>> found in this particular type of vehicle.
Good grief. NW. Do you think it's driving a 4x4 that makes people use the phone that? Stupid question -
I know you do...enough already.

No, of course I don't think that.

I think it's interesting that people who choose a dangerous and anti-social vehicle are more likely to drive in a dangerous and anti-social way. Not suprising, but still interesting to see the correlation confirmed.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Alyn Beattie
"since road accidents are one of the biggest causes of accidental death" Not true.

"a dangerous and anti-social vehicle" your opinion not based on fact.

You may have changed your name but not your attitude or your habit of stating your own anti car views as fact.

You were the reason I stopped visiting the backroom for a while. Looks like another absence beckons.

Why can't you live and let live.

My final words on the subject, I shall not answer any more of your posts, I have a life

--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
"since road accidents are one of the biggest causes of accidental death" Not true.

Maybe you don't trust National Statistics as a source on this issue? Try Table G in www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_health/DH4_2...f
"a dangerous and anti-social vehicle" your opinion not based on fact.

There's plenty of evidence on the dangers of off-road 4X4s, to pedestrians, to other vehicle users, and to their own occupants. Not everyone likes to look at that data, but it's there.
You may have changed your name but not your attitude or
your habit of stating your own anti car views as fact.

There are some facts here. You may choose to class them as "opinion", but that's your choice.
You were the reason I stopped visiting the backroom for a
while. Looks like another absence beckons.

Bye then! Some people don't like talking to people who they disagree with. It's your choice.
Why can't you live and let live.

I have no problem with things that don't do harm to other people.
My final words on the subject, I shall not answer any more of your posts, I have a life

As you please :)
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Altea Ego
>> "since road accidents are one of the biggest causes of accidental death" Not true.

Maybe you don't trust National Statistics as a source on this issue? Try Table G in www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_health/DH4_2...f

Table G says 3327 land transport accidents, 3794 other causes, 3462 self harm.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - v0n
There's plenty of evidence on the dangers of off-road 4X4s, to
pedestrians, to other vehicle users, and to their own occupants.
Not everyone likes to look at that data, but it's there.

You are so selective in your little wars it's not even funny. Any large vehicle has potential impact on smaller cars and pedestrians. Any strong vehicle has potential impact on safety of smaller, older, weaker cars and vehicles. Take recent Fifth Gear test of Grand Espace crash tests as example - it would literally drive through old Espace and it would drive through LR Discovery like tank trough a wooden cart. It might have 5 stars for protecting its own occupants but at what cost? There aren't that many vehicles out there capable of making complete mash out of Discovery killing all three passengers in process. If it does it to Landie, just think what would be left from a Micra after accident. And this car has 5 NCAP stars!
Similar situation with vans - also high centre of gravity vehicles, flat, high front which is dangerous to pedestrians, not tested for town impacts, when loaded also much more difficult to stop and release much bigger punch to third party. Often seen with bullbars, often found in questionable technical state. Not a day goes by without one of these overturning and blocking M25. And yet every tree hugger will rise their claws to scratch eyes out of 187,392 new SUVs and 4x4 owners that bought their cars in 2005 but in the same time they are willing to completely, blatantly ignore 322,920 new VANs brought onto the roads. Not dangerous enough? Does it has to have second gear level to be dangerous enough to bad mouth it or something?
Get a grip people, just because something looks massive and dangerous it doesn't mean it hunts people at night. Effectively unless you bring some kind of statistics that clearly show 4x4s are responsible for more accidents that any other car type you have nothing to fight with except your own prejudice.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - omeganoway
Perhaps people see the difference between vans and 4x4's because a van is a functional vehicle rather than a status symbol.
Perhaps people see the difference between vans and 4x4's because a
van is a functional vehicle rather than a status symbol.

Why is 4x4 not functional? It often sits 7 people on a footprint smaller than Mondeo Estate, can carry extra weight of cargo without laughable 400kg limit of normal cars and won't rip its tailpipe if you drive through country paths to take your kids horseriding. Van on the other hand, could as well be a status symbol - most self employed people will buy it just because it has higher tax benefit than buying estate. Most of van men could do with small corsa really. But what kind of tradesman would drive a corsa, right? It's all about who has the longest one (wheel base) and who's stands tallest (high roof) ;)
--------------------
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Aprilia
The 'Spiked' article is nonsense - the author has clearly not read the BMJ paper. I find his comments on 'serious accidents' to be rather bizarre also. The paper's authors clearly state that they define a '4x4' as a vehicle designed for off-road use - hence an Imprezza would be classed as a 'car' and not a '4x4' (perhaps it would have been better if they'd stated 'off road vehicle' rather than 4x4).

The BMJ paper is another one of many which reinforces 'Peltzman's Theory of Risk Taking' - which says that if a driver feels safer (due to the use of seat belts, ABS, airbag, vehicle type etc) then s/he will be inclined to take more risks. This is well established through numerous studies including studies into the availability of ABS (published by the SAE about 10 years ago), many studies on the wearing of seatbelts in the UK, US, Germany etc etc. This theory is well known to engineers who work on vehicle safety systems. More 'obvious' safety features (such as seat belts) tend to have a bigger impact on driver behaviour than hidden features such as side airbags. Clearly if someone buys a 4x4 because they think its safer then they may be inclined to more risky behavour. Insurance company statistics in the UK and US show that 4x4 drivers are about a factor 1.25 more likely to be at fault in an accident than drivers of non-SUV vehicles.

Anti-4x4 juggernaut - PhilDews
Since purchasing a large 'proper' 4x4 last July, my driving style has changed beyond all recognition. I now no longer race people from the traffic lights, drive along the motorway in 3-figure speeds or throw my vehicle excessively round roundabouts on two wheels.

I am more than aware that the 2 ton 'van' that I am driving can do immense damage, should any form of accident happen, especially should it be with a Fiat Cinquento etc.. Therefore, I find myself thinking before overtaking, or pulling out and generally being more courteous.

Just me personally!
------------------------------------------------
Drive Your Way - If anything can, TerraCan
-----
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Chad.R
The BMJ paper is another one of many which reinforces 'Peltzman's
Theory of Risk Taking' - which says that if a driver
feels safer (due to the use of seat belts, ABS, airbag,
vehicle type etc) then s/he will be inclined to take more
risks.

I wonder how much having an automatic gearbox would contribute towards "Peltzman's theory" - not necessarily a safety feature but certainly one that may cause driver to be a bit more "complacent" (I use the term loosely). I also wonder how many of those so called 4X4s were automatic.

I think the answer to both may be "quite a lot".

What may also be interesting to see is phone calls made by automatic drivers versus manual drivers.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Aprilia
I wonder how much having an automatic gearbox would contribute towards
"Peltzman's theory" - not necessarily a safety feature but certainly one
that may cause driver to be a bit more "complacent" (I
use the term loosely). I also wonder how many of those
so called 4X4s were automatic.

There have been lots of studies done over the years on auto vs. manual transmission. Results have appeared in auto industry 'trade journals' like AW. I can't quote references off the top of my head, but in general they've shown that auto transmission vehicle variants are less likely to be involved in accidents than their manual counterparts. This may have something to do with buyer demographics, of course. There is also much published research on driver stress and 'workload' auto vs. manual. Typically this involves drivers being wired for heartrate, perspiration etc and then setting out on a fixed, but unfamiliar, route. Typically the auto drivers exhibit lower levels of stress.
I'm sure that the auto box has a lot to do with this. Most SUVs will have auto (generalisation I admit), and if you've got an auto, then it's suddently feasible to be in the phone round town. Without a handsfree, I simply couldn't work my car in traffic while on the phone.

It would be interesting (but probably not practical) to see how well the correlation survived if applied to vehicles with automatic transmission, rather than SUVs.

For the record, I detest the majority of SUVs that are pointless and dangerous to others. However, I don't think that they could or should be banned in a free society.
I agree with Aprilia's summation of the Spiked article. Nevertheless I mistrust the reportage's interpretation of the research study, even if said study was properly conducted.

Aprilia's 1.25 SUV factor is congruent with others I have seen quoted in respect of blame accidents and insurance claims generally. Nevertheless, that puts in within chucking distance of the mean and doesn't really mean much unless we have some context, such as the comparable factor for convertibles, MPVs, performance cars, etc etc. - I would expect a fairly wide spread of rates across different categories.

A less punctilious person (and there's one not far away) might conclude that a 1.25 rate for blame accidents is reason to proscribe a vehicle type - as if everything should be at least as good as the average, Lake Wobegon style.

At some stage I sincerely hope that our masters, if they cannot leave this subject alone, will at least take a comprehensive and rational view rather than treating it as a debate, where the outcome depends on the availability of emotive arguments and the filtering of the surrounding facts.

This is not a defence, or otherwise, of SUVs BTW - I'm just tired of hearing bilge on both sides of the argument - the following article by the SMMT chief is a nice piece of rhetoric but is no more valid than Ken Livingstone's rabble rousing vitriol:

motoring.independent.co.uk/comment/article1157832....e
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - dylan
I think it's interesting that people who choose a dangerous and
anti-social vehicle are more likely to drive in a dangerous and
anti-social way. Not suprising, but still interesting to see the
correlation confirmed.

I normally find your arguments quite logical, but I'm not sure in this case. Seems to me (without reading the article, I stress) that the BMJ article has shown only a correlation between 4x4 usage and phone usage. That correlation *could* be due to the level of 'selfishness' of the drivers, but equally it could be due to a number of other factors. For example, it could be that 4x4 drivers are more likely to be wealthy (4x4s are expensive to buy and run), and that wealthy people are more likely to use the phone (for their jobs, for example) than poorer people. So it could simply be that 4x4 drivers use the phone in general more (due to their typical occupation). In which case the non-4x4 drivers aren't using the phone less because they're less selfish, but merely because they make/take less calls.

Bottom line - a correlation is easy to demonstrate, but on its own provides little more than guidance for future research. Without isolating all the variables involved, there is no way to determine the *reason* for the correlation.
... the BMJ article has shown only a correlation between 4x4 usage and phone usage ..

>>

dylan - i agree with your views.

here is the bmj article.

bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/333/7558/71?e...m

note that it is described as "This study formed part of the honours degree of JW at Imperial College".

as far as i can see, this study showed that on the days and locations he carried out this experiment, he found that drivers of 4x4s (as defined by him) were more likely to break seat-belt and mobile-phone laws. this could be taken as proof that the people who couldn't care less about obeying traffic laws were more likely to own 4x4s than "normal cars" irrespective of what their perceived safety of any particular vehicle. without conducting interviews of the drivers who were flouting the rules, it is not possible for me to jump to the conclusion that this undergraduate did.

Anti-4x4 juggernaut - dylan
here is the bmj article.
bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/333/7558/71?e...m

Thanks for the article link. Having read the article I stand by my comments. Of particular note is this part of the "Limitations and strengths of our study" section:

"The theory of risk compensation predicts that drivers of four wheel drive vehicles would take more risks when driving. Our findings that drivers of four wheel drive vehicles are more likely to use mobile phones and not to use seatbelts while driving strongly support this hypothesis."

I disagree with the use of 'strongly support' in this context. I think the phrase 'is consistent with' would be more appropriate. Indeed, the conclusion section uses the term consistent:

"Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were more likely than drivers of cars to break both laws, consistent with the theory of risk compensation"

There is a huge difference between 'strongly supports' and 'is consistent with'. For them to be used interchangibly in this way casts doubt on the credibility of the authors in my mind.

Also the potentil issue I raised of variable phone use is dodged somewhat in this paragraph, again from the "Limitations and strength" section:

"Our findings that use of hand held mobile phones was higher in drivers of four wheel drive vehicles than drivers of normal cars are unlikely to be explained by differential ownership of mobile phones"

This is a reasonable statement - I agree with the assertion. However it's not the *ownership* that's signficiant - it's the frequency of and duration of calls that counts. That issue is not discussed, meaning either the author didn't think of it, or he wanted to side-step it. I'd guess the latter.

Overall an interesting study with some interesting raw data, but (as with many academic papers) you have to draw your conclusions, not rely on those of the authors.
Hear hear Dylan - I interpret your comments as rejection of bias rather than support for 4x4s.
>>> I normally find your arguments quite logical, but I'm not sure in this case.

Dylan, I think that we seem to be in agreement on the correlation, though maybe not on the dangers of 4X4s and mobile phones while driving. I think that the BMJ article may have somewhat over-reached itself in explaining the reasons for the correlation, and as you say, more research is needed.

Whatever the reasons, though, a police officer looking to catch those driving with mobiles would appear to be well-advised to target 4X4s.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Roly93
Without going into massive rants or great analytical detail, all I can say is why do people need one of these things (SUVs) when they live in a neo-Georgean suburb of any major city in the UK ?

I guess they must just like visiting the petrol station and tyre centre at frequent intervals, and enjoy that lumbering feel on roundabouts and moderate bends in the road.

Well its their wallet not mine !
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - PhilDews
As stated, I drive a proper 4x4, but i find it cheaper to run thany my golf gttdi, excl fuel costs.

Tyres - £300/4, last about 30k
insurance - £450/yr. 25,000mls inc class1, driver is 27, full ncb

I find it useful in my job as a construction buyer...

------------------------------------------------
Drive Your Way - If anything can, TerraCan
-----
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Sofa Spud
As women take over 4x4's for shopping and school runs, Mr.Macho man has carved out a new niche, the double cab 4X4 pickup with all the bars and lights on. Apologies to any such owners on here, but 95% of drivers of such vehicles seem to be fat and voluntarily bald!
As women take over 4x4's for shopping and school runs, Mr.Macho
man has carved out a new niche, the double cab 4X4
pickup with all the bars and lights on. Apologies to
any such owners on here, but 95% of drivers of such
vehicles seem to be fat and voluntarily bald!

But you can generalize like that about every type of vehicle - the Mr Sole Trading Sparkie that needs fleet high roof vans for his two screwdrivers and a lightbulb, single Mr Big Shot Jobseeker that needs Mondeo to accomodate his 5 feet 10 in basebal cap on fortnightly run to Asdas to pickup some pizzas and instant noodles to go with sunday football match, Mum Of The Year in 7 seater Grand Espace with her only child three rows behind her and so on so forth. The thing is though - Mr.Macho doesn't tell you what to eat for breakfast or what colour shirt you should pick to work, so it's only fair you leave him and his life a-l-o-n-e...
--------------------
Without going into massive rants or great analytical detail, all I can say is why do people need one of these things (SUVs)
when they live in a neo-Georgean suburb of any major city in the UK ?

Strangely enough Pajero or Landie is easier to live with in Chelsea than large beemer or low flashy coupe. It's footprint is smaller than that of a large saloon so it's easier to find space for it, it has more space than hatchback but in the same time unlike in estate most non-flat pack retro furniture fits in without problems. It's has sidesteps and roobars front and back, so panels don't get scratched by delivery and builder vans in narrow Kensington streets. It's high, so countless humps and anti-ambulance speed bulges don't scratch underside of the car and it's easier to navigate between hundreds of Ken's favourite cabs on the roads... It's called adaptive evolution. ;)
--------------------
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - DP
I wish people would stop harping on about needing these cars. They don't. The vast majority of motorists in this country, including current SUV owners, could enjoy comfortable, prestigious, fit-for-purpose motoring without resorting to a two tonne SUV. People buy them because they want them, and that's fair enough. It's like the whole fox hunting debate (for the purposes of argument principles). All this cobblers about damage to the economy and the practical excuses for not banning it were irrelevant. The facts were it was their sport, they enjoyed it, they didn't want it banned.

Personally I find the idea of using an SUV on the road ridiculous, but I absolutely cannot stand the "ban it" mentality that seems to be increasingly prominent in recent years. SUV drivers pay through the nose in fuel taxes to fund their pleasure, and if they are happy to do it, why not let them?

I don't personally like 4x4's and any ban or restriction on their use wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep at all. The problem however with supporting bans on things we don't like is that "they" will eventually get around to trying to ban something we do.

Cheers
DP
The problem however with supporting bans on things we don't like is that "they"
will eventually get around to trying to ban something we do.

It's happening already to lots of us. I'm a smoker :(
Ah, smoking in public places, now that's one of the few bans I'm in favour of.

I work with lung cancer - median survival is only 4.5 months, there's a 75% death rate in the first year following diagnosis. If you're 'lucky' enough to be one of the 13% that can be operated on (your only hope), you still have a 20% chance it will recur anyway and you'll die.

Lug cancer is massively correlated with both active and passive smoking. Why should you have the right to impose the chance of the above fate on me?

Saying that, I think you have an absolute right to smoke where it doesn't affect others. You also have an absolute right to disagree with me on this. I don't envy you though - it's a horrific way to die.

Slightly desperate drag back onto motoring - are there any stats on risks associated with smoking and driving?
Lug cancer is massively correlated with both active and passive smoking.
Why should you have the right to impose the chance of the above fate on me?

I have no desire to impose my smoke on others don't mind not being able to smoke in most places. But I don't see why we can't still have one smoking carriage on a long train, or a smoking area in an office: each need be used only by those who want to smoke.

I'd apply the same principle to urban 4X4s. Fine to use them in your own offroad space, but ban them from public roads.
I have no desire to impose my smoke on others don't
mind not being able to smoke in most places. But
I don't see why we can't still have one smoking carriage
on a long train, or a smoking area in an office:
each need be used only by those who want to smoke.

And I've got no problem with that Perhaps it's just difficult to staff such a space (unless you staff it with a smoker obviously)? I suspect it's easier to just ban it and avoid having to solve the logistics.
Personally I find the idea of using an SUV on the
road ridiculous, but I absolutely cannot stand the "ban it" mentality
that seems to be increasingly prominent in recent years. SUV drivers
pay through the nose in fuel taxes to fund their pleasure,
and if they are happy to do it, why not let
them?

Hear hear. Fuel prices, and the idiots who let the tyres down. Between them, might annoy them enough to come to their senses. :-)
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - jag
we live in the depths of rural scotland (snow in winter ) ,wife has a diesel bora and i drive a decent banger for my needs . lots of off road vehicles passing through the local roads, so why is it that the off road motors never take to the verges. it is the bog standard cars that have to go on the green stuff on narrow roads.
vOn please could you tell this ignorant peasant the differences between the nissan and renault diesels( not being confrontational ,just want to know! ) jag
why is it that the off road motors never take to the verges. it is the bog
standard cars that have to go on the green stuff on narrow roads.

'cos a) they'd get muddy, and b) they spent all that dosh so hat hey could intimdate you outta they way. Don't forget to doff your cap once you've pulled in ;)
vOn please could you tell this ignorant peasant the differences between
the nissan and renault diesels( not being confrontational ,just want to
know! ) jag

It's going to be boring though: around the time Nissan was to switch from their Di to modernised dCi range in their Primera and Almera range they released Almeras with Renault's 1.5 dCi diesel engines on the continent with appropriate press blurb. Press, as usual, read every second word and ever since every magazine and review site, Parker's and Autoexpress included, claim dCI engines in Nissans are derrived from Renault. The truth is only Micra and Note use two versions of 1.5 dCi from Renault while all 2.2 diesels, as seen in X-Trail, Primera and Almera etc use Nissans own, japanese designed, chain driven YD22 units. They aren't most economical units, but they are very reliable and strong. Look! Everone fell asleep.
--------------------
think it's interesting that people who choose a dangerous and anti-social vehicle are more likely to drive in a
dangerous and anti-social way. Not suprising, but still interesting ....

>>

i think it's interesting that people who choose an extrememly dangerous and anti-social habit (smoking) are happy to condemn 4x4s that may in some people's eyes seem to be slightly dangerous or anti-social. Not suprising, but still interesting .....

Anti-4x4 juggernaut - daveyjp
News 24 dug up the 4 x 4 debate again yesterday - must be a quiet weekend for news! Two of the vox pops made me laugh. "It's diesel so doesn't use much petrol" (like none!), "this is my third 4x4 because I was once in an accident with an articulate (not a spelling mistake) lorry on the M25". Anti person in studio was then presented with the following from a viewers e-mail - I drive a Discovery it does 35 mpg (more than a Mini Cooper S) and is shorter and narrower than a Mondeo so takes up less road. Her only response was yes but it weighs 3 tonnes, which considering she didn't know which Discovery he was talkng about and the max weight of the new one is 'only' 2.5 tonnes was well off the mark. Fortunately a motoring journalist put her right. I can't see the point of 4 x 4s if you are driving round the city all the time, but the anti on yesterday's programme didn't have one good argument against them. Even her accident to pedestrians claims were blown apart.
My main hobby/interest in life has been cars and motoring and it is just a sign of ever changing times that people are now anti 4x4.I used to think a Range Rover from about 20yrs ago was cool.Now I think they are ridiculous things,far too big.I was behind a Toyota Land Cruiser recentley,christ it was enormous.I just thought why??One of our neighbours has a buisness,he runs one of the black/chrome bars/spotlights japanese pickups and he seeems to justify it by tying the odd thing on the back.Like look everybody I have something on the back of my truck,I need this truck.No you dont,get a van with a roof rack and use your wifes car for running about in.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - No FM2R
Given that you believe people should only drive what they need to drive, then I would ask, just out of interest, which car you drive ?
I drive a Ligier Ambra and am proud of it.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - AR-CoolC
[quote NowWheels] I have no problem with things that don't do harm to other people.

Says the person who expects a train to have a smokers only carrage! Who is going to staff, clean and maintain that carrage? who is going to pay the extra costs of having an extra carrage on each train to keep smokers happy.

Name me one thing (especially motoring related) that doesn't do harm to others?

>>I was behind a Toyota Land Cruiser recentley,christ it was
enormous.I just thought why??

Just how big could it possibly be - the biggest Toyota Lancruiser is exactly the same length as BMW 5 series Touring and is wider by only 2.8cm of side padding...
--------------------
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Adam {P}
You're trying to rationalise something v0n when you can't - I think it's jealousy.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Hamsafar
The difference between small cars, eg. new Punto and Large Cars eg. Mondeo isn't mush if you see them side by side in a traffic jam, a few inches in each direction, it's Orwellian double-think that makes people see otherwise. It is also the same between the Monde and an Offroad vehicle, a few inches in each direction. It is negative propaganda and Gestalt which make it appear huge.
>>I was behind a Toyota Land Cruiser recentley,christ it was
>> enormous.I just thought why??
Just how big could it possibly be - the biggest Toyota
Lancruiser is exactly the same length as BMW 5 series Touring
and is wider by only 2.8cm of side padding...
--------------------

DUHH! Try getting one into a multi story car park and then see if they are the same size.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Big Bad Dave
"get a van with a roof rack and use your wifes car for running about in"

Just what this forum needs, a weirdo curtain-twitcher with a propensity for organising his neighbour's private and business life. Come and tell me what I should be driving and how best I should justify it.
You should be driving something with 6 cylinders that drinks more than you.

Because it's fun.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Duchess
You should be driving something with 6 cylinders that drinks more than you.

Didn't know they'd invented something with that kind of liquid capacity!

Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Pica
I have not driven a 4 x 4 before and have often questioned why anyone would want to ride around in something so big and heavy. However last week I hired one [Mitsubishi L200 Warrior pickup 2.4 TD] to tow a horsebox and use for a weeks holiday. I have to say I loved it and it was the most useful vehicle I have driven in a long time. We suffered with flash floods and the Warrior transported lots of damaged carpets to the local tip, it passed through water blocked roads with ease, we rescued a neighbour who was stuck in his car in deep water (mercedes has had engine written off), we picked up gravel and bark from the local garden centre (to replace that which was washed away), we effortlessy towed for 200 miles and averaged 30MPG over the 800 miles covered in that week. When the contract is up on my Honda Accord I think I will be getting one.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Noticed that there are very few local 4x4s on the roads in France. Those that I did spot were Defenders and Range Rovers.
Only place I really saw them en masse was at a specialist dealer.
Is there some reason why this is the case or are the French not so competitively size conscious?
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - No FM2R
and compared to a 5 seater mondeo ?

Or are you merely suggesting that when they've finished with big cars they go after sports cars ?
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Lud
Once again people are greeting, kvetching and whinging about harmless, useful 4wd vehicles. If they are driven appropriately and pedestrians stay off the road where they belong they are no more dangerous than any other motor vehicle. What are we here, the double-take brothers?

Fundamentalists like NowWheels who would ban the things from the road don't seem to understand that roads often connect bits of offroad. If tractors are allowed on the road - and no one has suggested banning them yet, although their documentary side is notably less exacting than the one for cars - then surely Land Rovers and the like should be?

The whole damn thing is a no-brainer (if I have understood this ghastly neologism correctly).
Once again people are greeting, kvetching and whinging about harmless, useful
4wd vehicles. If they are driven appropriately and pedestrians stay off
the road where they belong they are no more dangerous than
any other motor vehicle. What are we here, the double-take brothers?

Sorry, but you know that's not true. Accidents do happen, and when they do, 4X4s pose a greater risk to other road-users.
Fundamentalists like NowWheels who would ban the things from the road
don't seem to understand that roads often connect bits of offroad.

Hahaha. Of course I noticed that .... but I also notice that most 4X4s are used to connect two bits of suburb or, at worst, unpaved lanes. I have no problem with 4X4s being used for rural on/off road work, but the overwhelmng majority of the £30,000+ gadget-laden fashion-wagen 4X4s go offroad about as often as I eat caviar.
If tractors are allowed on the road - and no one
has suggested banning them yet, although their documentary side is notably
less exacting than the one for cars - then surely Land
Rovers and the like should be?

If there was a fashon for buying tractors to run around our cities in, you can be pretty sure that there would be restrictive measures PDQ.
I have no
problem with 4X4s being used for rural on/off road work, but
the overwhelmng majority of the £30,000+ gadget-laden fashion-wagen 4X4s go offroad
about as often as I eat caviar.

No offence, NW, but I can't help feeling that if you ate caviar more often you wouldn't be so incensed by other people being rich, stupid and selfish. I know I wouldn't, but alas, I can't afford to scoff those fish eggs as often as I would like.
If there was a fashon for buying tractors to run around
our cities in, you can be pretty sure that there would
be restrictive measures PDQ.

I'm sure there would. Yawn.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - madf
seats 7

And for what % of its use?

As it will be mainly large families, about 10% of the time..(weekends and holidays!) (90% 1 driver only?)
Try comparing with a Yaris diesel:-)

madf
And for what % of its use?

All wrong questions. It doesn't matter, functionality is there, saves having two cars. You would ask a sales rep why he needs Mondeo when travelling alone, he could do his job just as well in Smart For Two. Why ask why people need 7 seater if most of the time 6 seats are empty?
--------------------
One cant help but notice the said individual as when he is not wheelspinning up/down the street,doing twice the speed limit up and down the street,having his music on full belt or just generally being a stereotypical 4x4 driver.
Sounds like you would get on well except we dont live on a council estate.
You are an idiot.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - mss1tw
Thanks for that Adam, was taking a swig of water when I read that! Purile maybe, but I laughed so much I sprayed water everywhere. :o(
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Big Bad Dave
"Sounds like you would get on well except we dont live on a council estate."

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to imply that I live on a council estate? How am I ever going to get to sleep tonight?
Dont you just love forums.Great entertainment.
By the way I have a Ligier Ambra.
By the way I have a Ligier Ambra.

Lawnmower-powered invalid carriage sort of thing? You do seem inordinately proud of it, mentioning it twice. It must be better than I think.
I dont really drive one of those but I knew somebody would fall for it.LOL.
Anti-4x4 juggernaut - Chad.R
One cant help but notice the said individual as when he
is not wheelspinning up/down the street,doing twice the speed limit up
and down the street,having his music on full belt or just
generally being a stereotypical 4x4 driver.

The "stereotypical 4X4 driver", whomever that is, may be guilty of many things but "wheelspinning up/down the street" probably isn't going to be one of them.