What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Speedo Failure - PLangford
Has anyone experience problems with the Focus speedo failing intermittently (but regularly) together with other electrical problems?
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - Mark (Brazil)
what other electrical problems ? Under what circumstances ? Is there any consistency ? Does it fail totally or just flail all over the place ?

You'll need to give a lot more detail or people aren't going to be able to help with the problem.

It seems no-one has the same problem, but that doesn`t mean they can`t help you with yours.
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - PLangford
Sorry - honestjohn said to be brief!

Failure is total when it occurs. Not even a flicker. Then eventually it flicks back up to current speed. Conditions make no difference ie, dry, wet, cold, hot, town or country roads.

Other electrical faults - radio volume fades whilst speedo at zero. Also petrol gauge drops to zero now and then when tank is full. Comes back on if switch engine on and off - back to normal after gallon or so used.
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - Nicholas Moore
Sounds like the needle is sticking. Ford speedos seem very prone to this. We had exactly the same problem time and time again. We got through 5 speedos in our old (appalling, now disposed of) D reg Granada in the space of just 120k miles. We don't buy Fords anymore!
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - Dave N
You need to speak to your dealer, as they can carry out a dignostic test with the Ford FDS2000 computer.
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - Stevieboy
I take it that the car is outside of warranty?

According to my Haynes manual, the instrument panel can only be swapped as a whole unit. It looks quite easy to remove, but the manual does warn that you've got to ensure that the panel is kept in an upright position otherwise the 'silicone liquid' may leak from the gauges(!).

Perhaps you can buy an instrument panel from a crash-damaged car?

If not, I'd go for a dealer fix, and tell them that if a new instument panel doesn't fix it, then you want you old one back and the cost refunded. They'll probably baulk at this strange notion of a customer setting the terms, but I'm sure you can find a middle ground with which you'll both be happy.

If it's not the instrument panel, consider replacing (all) the relevant wiring and sensors ...

Hope that this gives you a few things to consider.

Steve
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - Mark (Brazil)
Did you get my response to your e-mail ?
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - David W
Not a Focus but a customer has this with a Fiat Brava. Sometimes when it is standing on the drive the speedo is at maximum, other times it shows zero when driving. Also the fuel gauge needle vibrates and shows a random reading.

They are resigned to putting up with this for the time they have the car "because it's a Fiat". They don't want me to spend any time or money on parts trying to resolve it.

David
Re: Ford Focus Speedo Failure - PLangford
Just to let all those who kindly offered assistance with this matter. Have had Ford Electronic diagnosis and they ultimately replaced the sensor. Speedo now working normally. Many thanks for all you help.

Pam