What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hand brake clicks - oilfilter
I understand from my sister that takes her driving test soon that the tester expects her to lift the hand brake without clicks (pushing the little button in while pulling up or releasing the handle). Her driving instructor and also other ADI's tell the same thing to their learners as they claim it is damaging or stressing the handbrake mechanism.

Now, I owned many cars in the past, some of them I took to over 300,000 miles and I always pull the hand brake without pushing the button as It let me know if there are too many clicks, usually 5-6 clicks is the standard and anything above mean that I will need to adjust the cable.

To the point, I never had a hand brake failure as I can always tell when it is about to go well in advance. I also heard this item in CarTalk where the Click and Clack Brouthers say the same thing ( snipurl.com/sho7 ). So is it better to tell her to ignore her instructor bizarre advice once she passed her test?
Hand brake clicks - hm
personally yes.........I would tell her to pass then click it.........I can not how clicking the handbrake can be a test failure.........is that just advice from the ADI's or an actual fail?
Hand brake clicks - Altea Ego
In 30 years + driving I have NEVER dragged the handbrake up on the ratchet. Always used the button to pull it up.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hand brake clicks - Civic8
>>Always used the button to pull it up.

Sometimes do, Sometimes dont,dont see how it could be a test failure though, and as mentioned would do so untill test passed

--
Steve
Hand brake clicks - focussed
personally yes.........I would tell her to pass then click it.........I can not how clicking the handbrake can be a test failure.........is that just advice from the ADI's or an actual fail?

Instructors don't make it up as they go along

When ADI's train to be instructors there is is a driving "map" if you like, that is the standard which ADI's have to reach to pass their Part 2 driving standards test.

The "map" represents the standard to which they should teach their future pupils and this includes not rasping the parking brake up on the ratchet.

>>I always pull the hand brake without pushing the button as It let me know if there are too many clicks, usually 5-6 clicks is the standard and anything above mean that I will need to adjust the cable.

Or rear shoes if it has them,But never heard of that one before, and my Daughter has not been told this from her instructor in 20 odd lessons..rubbish IMO

--
Steve
Hand brake clicks - defender
it is very bad policy to pull on the handbrake without disengaging the ratchet as it will eventually wear the teeth and possibly cause the brake not to hold ,it will take a long time but I have seen handbrakes which have needed a new ratchet
Hand brake clicks - bell boy
and me defender
i think the reason it has been mentioned is to see if the person taking the test has mechanical sympathy ie do they actually know whats involved by the action of actually pulling the lever up? rather than the long term problems it will cause
Hand brake clicks - Manatee
Given the frequency that a driving school car handbrake will be applied I'm not surprised they don't like pupils clicking the ratchet - I doubt the teeth would last very well with the pawl being dragged across them 50 or more times a day.
Hand brake clicks - oldgit
If I hear clicks from someone's car, when they have applied their handbrake, I think "idiot" or "ignoramous" or some other derogatory remark. To me this shows that they have little sympatico with the workings of their car and hate to think what else they must do when driving i.e. probably hold car on a hill using the clutch and driving the car with one hand always resting on the gear lever etc.
Hand brake clicks - edlithgow

If they tested for mechanical sympathy I'd expect a very low pass rate.

The ratchet rasp makes me wince a bit, especially if its someone driving my car, but the cars I drive tend to require mechanical sympathy. I cant remember what the instructor said on the subject, if anything.

Hand brake clicks - none
Back in the 60's my driving instructor insisted that the handbrake lever should be pulled up with the button depressed, as it prevented unneccessary wear and tear on the ratchet mechanism. He also insisted that the steering wheel should never be turned unless the car was moving, as this put extra pressure on the steering linkage.
I still cringe 40 odd years later when I hear handbrake ratchets clicking, and see drivers spinning their power assisted steering wheels when stationary.

Hand brake clicks - Simon
To be honest I don't know whether I press the button in or not when putting the handbrake on. Its one of those that you do automatically and I couldn't tell you for definate whether I do or don't.

Personally I think that in the normal course of a cars life pulling the handbrake up and letting the ratchet click isn't going to do much damage to the mechanism. They are designed to take the wear and tear and I have never known one to be replaced in recent times. A driving school car on the other hand then yes it will get more than its fair share of wear on the ratchet and pressing the button in would be advisable. Mainly because as it has already being pointed out, the handbrake is on and off all day - ie the handbrake is being used as and when it should be.

One final point though is that a lot of the current Mercedes range use a foot pedal to operate the 'hand' brake. Thus there is no way of holding the button in and you have to let it click up the ratchet. Likewise I have never known a Merc of this style to require a new handbrake ratchet mechanism either.
Hand brake clicks - madf
I had a ratchet fail once: on a 1959 Rover 110 I owned. There the ratchet was mounted under the car behind the front wheel but shielded by a steel cover.. which had rusted away. Total failure of the ratchet and its mounting pin on which it moved,.

Nowadays cars are designed better . I always depress button and my sons were taught by their instructors to do the same.
madf
Hand brake clicks - David Horn
I was taught to push the button in, do it more or less 90% of the time. My driving instructor told me that it was for mechanical sympathy, but admitted later that the ratchetty noise drove him up the wall.
Hand brake clicks - trancer
Took my test in late 2003 and my instructor never once mentioned that the handbrake should not click. Never heard of anyone not letting it click either and thats probably why I don't bother pushing the button in on my own car now. I also use the clicks to let me know the adjustment of the cable. Anything more than two clicks and I adjust it, I don't like having to lift the lever too high for it to hold.
Hand brake clicks - RichardW
It's a god awful noise, sets my teeth on edge and offends my mechancial sympathy - I always press the button. If you've got passengers it make for a much nicer drive if they are not subjected to ziiip every few minutes in town. I also find it easier to 'feel' the brake working holding the ratchet in. Modern cables are stout pre-stretched affairs and once fitted should never need adjusting, and all modern braking systems should be self adjsuting so there should never be a need to adjust handbrake cables if all is working OK.

To me not pressing the button in is akin to not feathering the brakes when coming to a stop and causing the car to jump up as it stops.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Hand brake clicks - bathtub tom
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned fly-offs!
Hand brake clicks - johnsnc
For both my previous Mondeo and current Focus it explicitly states in the handbooks that you should not press the button in when engaging the handbrake . Therefore the mechanism must be designed to correctly tension when the button is not depressed, and otherwise may stretch the cable etc. Other cars are no doubt different.
Makes you wonder if the driving instructors have read up on their individual cars ....
Hand brake clicks - Cliff Pope
I suspect the answer is that it really doesn't matter. Probably most handbrake levers outlive their cars.
(Anybody care to do a survey at their local scrappy - what proportion of scrappped cars have worn out handbrake ratchets?)
It's just a matter of mechanical sympathy. It feels and sounds wrong to me, so I have always held the button in.
When I had cars with proper door handles that turned, I used to turn the handle to avoid it clicking on the latch. Just a clunk, no click.
But I'm happy to let seat belts click rather than pressing their buttons.
Hand brake clicks - Hamsafar
I don't usually do this, as I don't like the sound, it shows lack of finesse too.
I only do it to check the number of clicks from time to time.
I can see why it would be important on a learner car, as you have to apply the stick brake before and after just about every action you do, that's why learner cars get stationary and in the way all the time.
Hand brake clicks - SjB {P}
I never let the ratchet "click". To do so shows a complete lack of finesse and mechanical sympathy. One of the several reasons I dislike foot operated parking brakes such as in my brother's new XC90. Don't get me started on automatic gearbox drivers who slam the car in to 'P' and with the body still lurching to and fro from the dead stop climb out without even a thought of putting the parking brake on.

The day after I took my driving test in 1982, the handbrake release button on Dad's Volvo 244DL (which I used for the test) popped out and shot in to the passenger footwell under spring compression! The cause was simply that the button had unscrewed - so easily fixed - but I guess if it had happened 24 hours before during the test I would have been unable to complete it due to an unroadworthy vehicle.
Hand brake clicks - L'escargot
>>......... Focus it explicitly states
in the handbooks that you should not press the button in
when engaging the handbrake .

I can't find that in my 03/03 handbook. What page is it on?

I'm a non-clicker. The only reason I can think of for clicking is that if you don't click you might just possibly relax the pull on lever slightly before you release the button and this might effectively give you one less click than if you had clicked.
--
L\'escargot.
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned fly-offs!

Well, take a bow then. Inevitably someone here was going to mention that ancient device and you have won that accolade!
I still cringe 40 odd years later when I hear handbrake
ratchets clicking, and see drivers spinning their power assisted steering wheels
when stationary.

I cringe when I see the patches they've rubbed off the tarmac. I used to live on a narrow road and I knew exactly which of my neighbours turned the wheel with the car stationary and which didn't from the evidence on the tarmac outside their drive.

--
L\'escargot.
Hand brake clicks - mike hannon
39 years ago I was told to pull up the handbrake lever with the button pressed - I still do. I would have thought it is easy enough to judge whether adjustment is needed by how far the lever moves, rather than bother counting clicks.
My father used to drive a Leyland Octopus eight-wheeler in the late 1950s, with Westinghouse air brakes and a handbrake that needed four or five pulls against a very loud ratchet to get it fully on.
You could hear it for hundreds of yards. It did, however, have a very effective 'fly off' device so it released like a sports car!
Hand brake clicks - scc
I too was taught to always pull up the handbrake with the button pressed. However I took delivery of a new X type this year and it specifically says not to do this in the instruction manual, so I'm now trying to re-educate my left hand with varying success.
Hand brake clicks - robcars
I have to ask why it says specifically not to?

Can't think of any reason where it would be better to click it on rather than pull it on and release button to finish.

I can understand why people do it either way, I'm a non clicker personally, but really don't understand the instruction to do it!
>>I'm a non clicker personally, but really don't understand the instruction to do it!

As my post before,but its not a failure on its own,I asked a mate that is a driving instructor and he said in order to fail the test other parts of test have to fail as well.

TBH, I didnt know it could be a failure,poss because it was never mentioned and also its not a failure on its own,so I dont see the problem unless other fail points occur during the test
--
Steve
Hand brake clicks - Robin Reliant
I hate the sound of a clicking handbrake and in common with nearly all instructors i used to teach pupils to depress the button. Exceptions were when someone had been taking extensive lessons with a friend or family member and had got so into the habit of clicking that it was a waste of time trying to cure it.

You would not fail a test for clicking the handbrake, but if the examiner is on a bad day it might just be the final irritation that makes him turn an otherwise marginal fault into a fail.
Hand brake clicks - scc
"I have to ask why it says specifically not to?"

I've got no idea - I was just repeating what it says in the handbook. However I post on a jaguar forum so will ask the question there and report back tomorrow if any explanations are forthcoming.
Hand brake clicks - scc
Just thought I'd do a double check and had a look at the on-line manual which states:

"do not press the release button while pulling the lever up"

There is no explanation as to why not so as per previous post I'll wait and see if any other jag drivers have a rational explanation.
"Modern cables are stout pre-stretched affairs and once fitted should never need adjusting"

I don't think BMW got that memo.

In the 8 months I have owned my 330d I have adjusted the handbrake cable at least 3 times. Once was a rear disc off, proper adjustment (lots of brake shoe left) and at least another 2 seperate times from inside the car under the handbrake lever. If I pull up on the lever past the usual 2 click position due to extra weight in the car or a particularly steep slope it will never hold again with 2 clicks.
Hand brake clicks - local yokel
SWMBO has no mechanical sympathy, and is a clicker. If I'd known I might not have married her. I was taught not to click in 1977 by my instructor, and I've never done it since. I also keep my foot on the brake pedal while lifting the handbrake, to ensure a good bite by the HB.
I was
taught not to click in 1977 by my instructor

I'm a non-clicker, but nevertheless and notwithstanding I can't help wondering who tells the instructors what to tell their pupils. In other words who is the definitive authority on whether you should click or not?
--
L\'escargot.
Hand brake clicks - piggy
I`m with the non clicking brigade.About twenty years ago I bought a car from a woman owner; six months later i had to replace the rachet. Somehow I think if a survey was held, it would show a majority of women are clickers.

"All the way up to six if I have to....and maybe faster than you"
Hand brake clicks - Schuey
As mentioned, the continual use of the handbrake without depressing the button, will lead to the ratchet mechanism to wear so much more rapidly. It is like a chain on a bike, eventually the edges of the sprocket teeth become mis-shapen and worn.

Of course, for those whom change their car for a new one every few years do not need to concern themselves, but would seem to be poor practice and somewhat a carefree attitude and unsympathetic to the vehicle.

The vast majority of people should not need to listen to the number of clicks on the handbrake before they know it is on sufficiently. One can feel when the handbrake engages enough, to brake the wheels. But of course one does put the car in gear also! (manual gearbox).

It is about the feel of the car, e.g. listening to the engine for unusual noises when driving, well I do, and I am certain a lot of others do to so as to prevent further problems. I believe those are the ones that really know about cars and have a interest in them and maintain them.
Hand brake clicks - Lud
I was not taught to press the button when applying the handbrake. The teeth on the ratchet are angled so that the pawl slips over them easily. It does no harm whatsoever to allow the ratchet to click during application, and the number of clicks tells the driver whether any adjustment is needed.

It is not an indication of mechanical sympathy to apply the handbrake silently. It betrays an obsessive personality.

So there.

well lud seing as you work on cars every day and i dont then i for one will let you have the last word on this subject..................... ;-)
go and wash you hands,,,,,,,,,,,again lud......
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hand brake clicks - Lud
Thanks om. But I didn't really want to have the last word, just to say something different from virtually everyone else on this extremely trivial subject.

I don't understand TVM's post at all. Why do I need to wash my hands again, and why all the commas?
obsessive personality

Frequent hand washing is a symptom of compulsive behaviour disorder, one of the obsessive personality symptoms.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hand brake clicks - Lud
So you were hinting that it takes one to know one, TVM? No doubt you are right. But why the row of commas?
I have keyboards tourettes syndrome......,,,,,,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hand brake clicks - Lud
LOL TVM, and thanks! .

There was an old man with Tourette's
Who murmured: 'Among my regrets
Is my failure to shine
In the murmuring line
Because of this BUM FREAK! Tourette's.'
Getting back to handbrakes.

To the guy who says that if he pulls harder then two clicks he then has to adjust the cable, I say you have a fault somewhere else because this is not normal or desirable mechanical behaviour.

To the poster who says he puts his foot on the foot brake first then pulls up the handbrake, yes this is the advised behaviour on later VW's that are well known for rolling away when parked. The handbrake on the touran is without doubt the worst one I have experienced in 30+ years drving.

Now to clicking on the ratchet. My father never did it, nor his father before him ever did it.. I am carrying on the family tradition and If my son ever does it I shall coach* him not to.

(*slap him repeatedly till he stops doing it)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hand brake clicks - local yokel
>To the poster who says he puts his foot on the foot brake first then pulls up the handbrake, yes this is the advised behaviour

I was taught this by a wonderfull Flight Sergeant who took us for airframes and engines instruction on the Bulldog. I took my car test some months after the RN first sent me solo.
Hand brake clicks - Pugugly {P}
Advanced driving techniques suggest depressing the release button on the handbrake to avoid wear on the ratchet. I doubt whether this is appropriate advice on a modern car, I found out today that I do indeed press the button, guess it's the effect of having some mechanical sympathy. Wouldn't be in my top ten of questions to a seller when I was buiying a second hand car.
Hand brake clicks - Dynamic Dave
The rachet on my Vectra handbrake is so quiet anyway, it's hardly noticable if you don't press the button before lifting up the lever.

My driving instructor (back in 1985) told me the prefered method is to press the button as it doesn't annoy the examiner quite so much.

Hand brake clicks - Aprilia
I used to do some IAM Observing (until about a year or so ago, when I packed it in because it was too time consuming). Anyway, one of the things the IAM is keen on is that drivers should apply the handbrake anytime the car is stationary for more than a few seconds - the reasons for this are obvious. Very very few, if any, of the drivers I observed ever did this during their initial observed run/s. Thus the typical handbrake is not applied very frequenty. I suspect that if drivers applied the handbrake as often as they should then the ratchet WOULD wear out if you didn't push the button. I always have pushed the button - apart from when counting the clicks during a service.

To the chap with the BMW 330D. You have a fault with your rear brake mechanism. If the car is under warranty then take it to the dealer for a repair - **Don't tell them you've worked on it or, knowing BMW dealers, they'll tell you that you've caused the faulty and its no longer covered by the warranty**.
Hand brake clicks - Lud
But did the IAM have a policy on button pressing, Aprilia?

I've never come across a car with a worn-out ratchet, and I've driven a fair number of rough and neglected examples.

But I did once drive someone's new Rover 2000 and applied the handbrake too vigorously, so that the cable stretched or something flexed, the lever came up too far and the button with its spring and so on popped out. It was possible to release the brake, but not to reassemble the device with one hand while driving up Kensington Gore .

A very embarrassing occasion.
To the guy who says that if he pulls harder then
two clicks he then has to adjust the cable, I say
you have a fault somewhere else because this is not
normal or desirable mechanical behaviour.

In the days before handbrake levers were designed to have a significant amount of movement before reaching the first click, if it only had two clicks travel then the brakes were liable to drag. I used to specify 5 clicks travel when having my car serviced. How long have cars had the current level of click-free movement?
--
L\'escargot.
this extremely trivial subject.

It might be extremely trivial to you but to us confirmed anti-clickers ........ !
--
L\'escargot.
>> this extremely trivial subject.
It might be extremely trivial to you but to us confirmed
anti-clickers ........ !
--
L\'escargot.

Indeed! What are these 'clicks'. Never heard them in my cars. Unless you mean creaking from the plethora of plastics used in modern day cars.
different cars have diferent amounts of clicks to the end of their travel here is my homwork for the weekend
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
corsa " b" 8 clicks
omega..7 clicks
movano..10 clicks
ford ka..6 clicks
focus..4 clicks
hyundai atoz..7-8 clicks
vw golf.......3-4 clicks

now how sad is that finding that information???????
I am the guy or chap (never been called that before 8-)) with the 330d who has to constantly adjust the handbrake. The car does have a fault...a rather weak, stretchy handbrake cable. Handbrake shoes still have lots of material, they aren't glazed and I have cleaned them out at least once since I got the car in Nov. When driving at slow speeds >30mph I also occasionally apply the handbrake very lightly to ensure that the friction surfaces get a scrub.

If I was the only one experiencing it then I might be a bit more concerned, but there are too many other BMW owners on the forums I frequent that also complain of similar issues so I am putting it down to a manufacturer/model specific fault rather than a fault with my particular car.

I will concede that I am a bit obsessive about wanting the handbrake to hold the car with only 2 clicks on the rachet, but if the car holds just fine on my sloped driveway with 2 clicks on one day then needs 3 or 4 clicks the following week, then I am sure you will understand my need to "rectify" it.

Now that I have admitted to a handbrake obsession I may as well come completely clean. When releasing the handbrake I use my index finger to push in the button, not my thumb!!!.
Hand brake clicks - none
Trancer, I'm not familiar with BMW handbrakes, but many years ago I had a problem with a Peugeot rear disc hand / foot brake. The lever travel was acceptable, every visible part seemed to be in good working order and yet the handbrake didn't work.
It turned out that the rear calipers depended upon full handbrake travel to operate the pads when applying the handbrake. If the cable was to tight, it just wouldn't move the pads far enough to grip the discs. The simple answer was to slacken the cable off allowing the caliper to work as designed.
And there were too many clicks to bother counting.
The BMW handbrake uses a seperate mechanism from the rear brake caliper, its essentially a drum brake within the rear disc. When everything is adjusted the rear brake holds nicely and one could even do a nice 180 degree handbrake turn if the McDonalds audience wanted it. Such use would mean that the cable would slacken again requiring yet another adjustment therefore I don't do handbrake turns.
Hand brake clicks - Lud
Nothing to do with wearing flats on your expensive tyres and attracting the unwelcome attention of plod waiting nearby to control the burger-crazed McDonald's clientele when they come out, trancer?
Hand brake clicks - Aprilia
I've not had this on any BMW's that I've had my hands on. Possibly they switched parts supplier for a while and had some problems. Might be worth trying ECP for a replacement cable - they are easy to replace. Might well solve your problem.
Hand brake clicks - Pete M
I think this is one of those wonderful English folk-tales that persist years after they are relevant. Perhaps the ratchet in a 1932 Morris 10 was known to be weak, and the word went round how to preserve it. Now, more than 70 years later the myth is still around, shrouded in such terms as 'mechanical sympathy' and so on. I think it's like the traditional use (in England) of a plastic washing up bowl for washing dishes in a perfectly good kitchen sink. Now we haven't been washing the children or ourselves or our clothes in the kitchen sink for several decades now, but when I lived in England, the locals were horrified that I just washed the dishes in the sink without a bowl. They couldn't tell me exactly why, but only that their mother had warned them of awful consequences if they didn't do it. Isn't it time to put some of these old wives tales out to pasture?
Hand brake clicks - Lud
Couldn't have put it better myself Pete M.
Hand brake clicks - tr7v8
To be honest everyone is calling it a handbrake, I believe the correct term is parking brake. If it's dual circuit brakes (which all cars are now post about 1976) then it's not a secondary braking mechanisim it's a parking brake, hence lower efficiency required on the MOT. 16% vs 25%.

As regards the ratchet, yup I doubt it does wear it out but it sounds awful & indicates an overall lack of mechanical sympathy. But that's endemic with todays drivers. At NOT centre the other week, little 02 plate Vauxhall Agila with engine in bits (3 pot DOHC) I enquired why, oh the owner boiled it dry & carried on driving it until it blew headgasket & timing chain tensioner! Oh and I have a Galaxy where the owner also ignored the temperature guage & cooked it so comprehensively that he called the fire brigade out as they thought it would catch fire! That has a hole in a piston & is urrently looking for another engine! We both wondered how much noise an engine makes to die like that & how you can continue driving it?
Hand brake clicks - Lud
Mechanical sympathy be damned. If you think it's an annoying sound, well and good.

I like it myself.
Hand brake clicks - CGNorwich

If pressing the button serves any at all purpose I'm still unclear why a major manufacturer namely Ford should be so unsypathetic to their product. The CMAX handbook stated categorically that you should not press the button when applying the parking brake and my recollection is that the Focus handbook said the same. I've always assumed that this was a safety issue to ensure that the pawl was engaged in the ratchet and the brake securely locked on - I guess I will stick with the advice of the people who made the car.

Are any other possible mythical procedures that have persisted down the years?
i take umbrage at mythical procedures (joke) but in the lighthearted vane i put forward

pulling the choke out just prior to turning engine off to keep the elixior of life in the plenum chamber...........................(.dont ask me it was a done thing)
lifting the fuel pump line up to get the last bit off fuel out (did that work i never did fathom it?)
carrying a spade in the boot in case you got stuck in the snow (yes A1 and i was the only car that got past scotch corner)

Are any other possible mythical procedures that have persisted down the years?

Most member of the PU clan are suckers for some wreck or other, me not least in my choice of Landies.... a silent prayer was uttered over the hard winter we had every time that key was turned......I still do this occasionaly when starting my latest cars.
sorry - I meant "possibly" mythical -

Re pulling the choke out my father always use to floor the accelerator for few seconds before switching off for the same reason - He was no proponent of mechanical sympathy!

Is there any one out there still double de-clutching?
Yes - alive and well, not always but sometimes......

Does it have any benefit on a a car with modern gearbox or are we talking classic cars?
It's another advanced driving thing, alleged to reduce gearbox wear but presumably at the cost of clutch wear, the landie needs it sometimes to persuade her to change gear........would never do it in my mainstream cars (no longe an issue in my 535 - auto)
Hand brake clicks - Lud
Does it have any benefit on a a car with modern
gearbox or are we talking classic cars?

If the synchromesh is damaged or weak on one or more gears double-declutching will enable silent changes to be made and prevent further damage, at the expense of the clutch mechanism.
Hand brake clicks - none
Maybe it's something to do with the latest Ford ratchets having a very refined 'fine' click, and they want the driver to hear it. Gives the impression of good engineering, whereas the old clacking ratchet didn't.
Hand brake clicks - Mutton Geoff
In the 70's my Cortina handbrake cable had stretched so the lever needed a good few clicks and was almost at 45 degrees before the brake applied. All that was needed was a cable tensioner which I carefully manufactured with stainless steel adjusters and fitted to the cable. (Thought it a cheaper option than a new cable).

A short time later I was involved in an accident which resulted in my car being towed off the the police garage for inspection. On finding my non standard fitment, they decided to do me for driving with defective brakes. At 18, I didn't feel confident enough to defend the charge and was prosecuted and fined a good months salary. Over 30 years later I still harbour a resentment for Essex Police based on my early experiences. My carefully constructed mod performed as planned and had no part in the accident yet for many years later, I was paying the price (in fine installments, insurance premiums etc). Being mechanical sympathetic, I'm a silent puller.

last time i saw a handbrake slack adjuster which was literaly a half moon with a threaded bolt was only about 8/10 years ago and they were still quite popular on bread and butter stuff.
Personally i never fancied them and have never fitted them my reasoning was that when i was a lad i converted a sit up and beg rod braked pushbike to cables and you had to make your own cables up and put your own nipples on the end,well one of the nipples undid and i crashed so ive always had respect for stretched cables and breakages since,however this is the first instance that i have ever heard that somebody got "done" for it and can understand that you did a good job and still feel bitter (i would too)
Hand brake clicks - Sofa Spud
I always wince when I hear drivers ripping the handbrake on without disengaging the ratchet. One day the ratchet will be so worn that the car might roll away when parked. I've driven cars and vans where the ratchet is so worn some of the 'clicks' were missing, so it's not just an old wives' tale!
Hand brake clicks - Dynamic Dave
I've driven cars and vans where the ratchet is so worn some of the 'clicks' were missing, so it's not just an old wives' tale!

But how would you know this? If the noise makes you wince, you wouldn't pull the handbrake on without first pressing the button, and therefore wouldn't hear the missing clicks anyway ;o)
let me explain then .DD
you get in a vehicle unknown to you you pull up the lever till you feel it will hold vehicle and the lever immediately drops down one tooth
another favourite is that you put the handbrake on properly but inadvertantly knock it at some stage slightly from the side this makes them release and depending where you are this could cause a nasty accident
both these things happen often with cars..............
Hand brake clicks - SjB {P}
SiL's Volvo V50 was subject to a recall performed yesterday.
What was it?

To:

1) Fit a modified handbrake switch that triggers later, much later, in the "pull'
2) Add a page to the owner's manual to say how to use a handbrake!!

Yes, really.

Some twerp is alledged to have pulled the handbrake up a couple of clicks and on seeing the light come on, get out of their car to watch it roll away and crash.
They sued Volvo, who are now performing a "mod" at some considerable expence.

If true, there's no hope for the world.
Hand brake clicks - Lud
I always wince when I hear drivers ripping the handbrake on

'Ripping' indeed!

I apply my handbrake gently. It clicks, gently, twice. Three times if it's a very steep bit of road.

It stays adjusted like this too.

Of course I hardly ever apply the brakes - the real brakes - heavily.

I find all this stuff about handbrakes, or parking brakes, utterly ridiculous.

Personally I reserve mechanical sympathy for important areas.

Faugh! Tush! Wahataloadacobblers!
Hand brake clicks - Lud
And has it occurred to anyone that extra wear on the release button mechanism, or clumsy or negligent use of it, might easily be responsible for knocking some of the points off the ratchet? Perhaps that's why some manufacturers tell you not to press the button when applying the brake, only when releasing it.

You obsessives are damaging your cars!
Hand brake clicks - Xileno {P}
May be this is why some cars now have electric handbrakes.
I think this is one of those wonderful English folk-tales that persist years after they are relevant. Perhaps the ratchet in a 1932 Morris 10 was known to be weak, and the word went round how to preserve it. Now, more than 70 years later the myth is still around, shrouded in such terms as 'mechanical sympathy' and so on. I think it's like the traditional use (in England) of a plastic washing up bowl for washing dishes in a perfectly good kitchen sink. Now we haven't been washing the children or ourselves or our clothes in the kitchen sink for several decades now, but when I lived in England, the locals were horrified that I just washed the dishes in the sink without a bowl. They couldn't tell me exactly why, but only that their mother had warned them of awful consequences if they didn't do it. Isn't it time to put some of these old wives tales out to pasture?

Er...just offhand, plastic bowl is

less noisy

Less likely to chip plates (ceramic sympathy)

Means you don't have to clean the sink thoroughly (a "real world" reason)

Means you still have the drain and tap free for rinsing, if you do that.

I don't do it because its traditional, I do it because it makes sense.

Hand brake clicks - Robert McAuley

That's silly owing to wear and tear so you've been lucky. Just press the button before putting on or releasing handbrake otherwise your knowledge of mechanics is close to zero!

Hand brake clicks - Steveieb

When the Honda Civic was built in Swindon the company outsourced the handbrake mechanism to a Spanish company on grounds of cost and cancelled the contract with a UK supplier.

The click mechanism was manufactured incorrectly and when cars were reported to be running away they were recalled and replacements from the UK supplier retro fitted !

Hand brake clicks - badbusdriver

That's silly owing to wear and tear so you've been lucky. Just press the button before putting on or releasing handbrake otherwise your knowledge of mechanics is close to zero!

Given you are answering a 16 year old thread like it was current, I'm not sure you are in any position to be critical!

Hand brake clicks - Bilboman

It's one of those divisive things which drive some people insane but which others barely notice. The hyper-critical control freak in me thinks of it as "sloppiness", like slamming a car door, riding the clutch, yanking a power lead out by its cable, omitting indicators on a roundabout, texting with absolutely no punctuation and a very long list of etceteras.
The handbrake yank causes the noise nuisance for some, goes against what we were probably taught and may possibly cause wear and tear.
Would any Hyundai Ioniq or Kia Stonic drivers out there care to pass comment on the full-on ratchet parking brake, operated by firmly stamping "on" and then firmly stamping "off" with the left foot? It is s truly evil contraption and quite likely lethal for us ratchetphobics!

Hand brake clicks - RT

It's one of those divisive things which drive some people insane but which others barely notice. The hyper-critical control freak in me thinks of it as "sloppiness", like slamming a car door, riding the clutch, yanking a power lead out by its cable, omitting indicators on a roundabout, texting with absolutely no punctuation and a very long list of etceteras.
The handbrake yank causes the noise nuisance for some, goes against what we were probably taught and may possibly cause wear and tear.
Would any Hyundai Ioniq or Kia Stonic drivers out there care to pass comment on the full-on ratchet parking brake, operated by firmly stamping "on" and then firmly stamping "off" with the left foot? It is s truly evil contraption and quite likely lethal for us ratchetphobics!

My 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe automatic had a foot-operated parking brake - I never found the ratchet an issue - but it was a weak handbrake as I was still able to drive away on the few occasions I forgot to release it.

Hand brake clicks - De Sisti

omitting indicators on a roundabout [or at junctions], texting [and uploading posts] with absolutely no punctuation.

In addition to not adding a space after a full-stop or comma.

Hand brake clicks - John F

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned overuse as a cause of wear and tear. I almost never use the parking brake. Leaving the car in P or 1st gear is sufficient in most circumstances. It might also prevent damage from adjacent clumsy parkers as the slight 'give' when they bump into the now non-existent 'bumper' might be enough to prevent a dint or cracking.

Hand brake clicks - RT

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned overuse as a cause of wear and tear. I almost never use the parking brake. Leaving the car in P or 1st gear is sufficient in most circumstances. It might also prevent damage from adjacent clumsy parkers as the slight 'give' when they bump into the now non-existent 'bumper' might be enough to prevent a dint or cracking.

On modern cars, not using the parking brake is likely to lead to lead to it seizing up - not a good idea to rely soley on "P" in an automatic, it's only a flimsy pawl.

Hand brake clicks - John F

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned overuse as a cause of wear and tear. I almost never use the parking brake. Leaving the car in P or 1st gear is sufficient in most circumstances......

On modern cars, not using the parking brake is likely to lead to lead to it seizing up -

I agree, and try to remember to use the EPB on the 'forever' Audi once a month or so.

not a good idea to rely soley on "P" in an automatic, it's only a flimsy pawl.

Not that flimsy, otherwise the repair shops would be full of P-less autoboxes. As a Proponent of Mechanical Sympathy I felt it would be stating the bleedin' obvious to say that if parked on a slope one should employ the PB before engaging P.

Hand brake clicks - Andrew-T

I almost never use the parking brake. Leaving the car in P or 1st gear is sufficient in most circumstances.

As I am lucky enough to own a horizontal parking area I usually do likewise. But that is the remains of a habit learnt in western Canada, where a parking brake could freeze on if circs were just right. Less likely with disc brakes I suppose, but they were mostly drums then - and many still are.

Hand brake clicks - Sparrow

My BMW 2008 3 series has needed its handbrake cable adjusted a few times over the years. So yes, it does indeed stretch. I think it has now done its stretching tho, as it's not been requied lately. Either that or there is something wrong with it that my independent garage has managed to fix.

I'm a non-clicker, ever since my parents Morris Minor needed a new ratchet mechanism.

Hand brake clicks - Sofa Spud

I was taught to always press the button when pulling on the handbrake and I always do so.

In the past I've driven old cars where the handbrake ratchet doesn't work properly, most probably because the owner (or a previous owner) had the habit of pulling on the handbrake without pressing the button.

It's similar with trying to turn the steering when the car is stationary. In old cars it used to be difficult and you could feel it putting a strain on the steering mechanism. Now, nearly all cars have power steering which turns easily when stationary but I presume that doing so still puts the same strain on the mechanism.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 30/06/2022 at 09:48

Hand brake clicks - Ian_SW

I've generally noticed that not pressing the handbrake button in (and snatching the handbrake up really fiercely) is usually just one sign of a less than competent or careless driver. The same people tend to also catch kerbs a lot on corners, labour the engine against far too high a gear to the point of the car stalling before changing down, frequently crash into posts when parking etc.

It's becoming a bit academic these days for most cars though. I couldn't make a noise with the handbrake (other than the sound of an electric motor winding it on) on my car or most other cars available today as in the name of "progress" the handbrake lever has gone the same way as window winders, starting handles and manual chokes.

The same people tend to also catch kerbs a lot on corners, labour the engine against far too high a gear to the point of the car stalling before changing down, frequently crash into posts when parking etc.

It all comes under the general heading of Mechanical Sympathy. They have no ear for the noise coming from the engine, for example (tho the need for that may disappear with EVs). On occasion I have tried to instil such traits into ladies of my acquaintance.

I've generally noticed that not pressing the handbrake button in (and snatching the handbrake up really fiercely) is usually just one sign of a less than competent or careless driver. The same people tend to also catch kerbs a lot on corners, labour the engine against far too high a gear to the point of the car stalling before changing down, frequently crash into posts when parking etc.

It's becoming a bit academic these days for most cars though. I couldn't make a noise with the handbrake (other than the sound of an electric motor winding it on) on my car or most other cars available today as in the name of "progress" the handbrake lever has gone the same way as window winders, starting handles and manual chokes.

Now, nearly all cars have power steering which turns easily when stationary but I presume that doing so still puts the same strain on the mechanism.

.... and on the underlying road surface !

Hand brake clicks - kiss (keep it simple)

Handbrake ratchet was a regular sound effect on The Sweeney.

Didn't they frequently crash into piles of cardboard boxes during car chases though?

I've never done that either.

Guv.

Hand brake clicks - De Sisti

....... crash into piles of cardboard boxes during car chases though?

In movies nowadays, cars don't crash into cardboard boxes; they pile into the back of other cars and somehow somersault in the air (defying the normal law of physics when a car crashes into the back of another vehicle).

Didn't they frequently crash into piles of cardboard boxes during car chases though?

I've never done that either.

Guv.

I've also never driven onto a bit of wasteland in the East End, skidded around on it for a few minutes trying to corner a Mk1 Jag with a Ford Consul, then got out and had a fist fight with some criminals wearing a pair of tights over their head.

They don't make TV dramas like that any more.....

Hand brake clicks - Bilboman

In my experience there is a strong link between handbrake yanking and door slamming. The driver who hauls on the lever with the zeal of Albert Pierrepoint dispatching war criminals at Nuremberg is much more likely as a passenger to whack the door back into its frame with the fury of a cuckolded gorilla, as if to smash it through the car bodywork and out the other side. The lack of fine motor skills is also observed when sounding the horn (why give a gentle "I say, excuse me awfully!" toot when a majestic truly satisfying blast of Handel's Messiah can be accomplished with an interminable press of the horn pad?)
And it's only going to get worse as petrol prices go up and up !

Hand brake clicks - Big John

Having restored / repaired many an old car over the years I can't remember replacing a hand brake ratchet. However I've had problems with - mechanism hard grease/dust , weak handbrake lever release and ratchet engage springs. The worst issues have always been on automatics where the lever is rarely used as drivers just engage Park.

Re mechanical sympathy I cringe more re clutch operation ( slipping or releasing too quickly) , footbrake operation (on a long lake district downhill brake fade can still be a thing!), stop / start, power steering turning front wheels without moving etc...

Edited by Big John on 07/07/2022 at 19:32

Hand brake clicks - deanne78

useful information

Edited by deanne78 on 08/07/2022 at 09:40