What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 Petrol Gauge stuck - nozmeister
Just noticed our 55 reg jazz's petrol gauge hasn't moved in over 60 miles and is registering over full....it ain't that economical!

Anyone else had this? I've tried rocking the car,plus opening the petrol cap in case it's in some sort of vacuum but no effect.

Have to drive it some more and see if it's just a one off....

Can't find anything on the web about this.

noz

Edited by Webmaster on 12/06/2009 at 23:29

Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - Aprilia
Sounds like electrical rather than tank problem. The wire may be shorting to ground somewhere.
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - nozmeister
any idea as to where the wiring goes? I guess it's hidden under the front seats but I can only see the airbag wiring there.
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - mike hannon
If it is registering over-full and hasn't moved in more than 60 miles since you filled the tank right up then I would think this is normal. It's an economical motor!
Every Honda I have had, including the two I have now, do exactly that. The needle always goes above the full mark and never moves until 60 or 70 miles have been covered. Then it falls until it is on the half-full mark after about 200 miles. Then there is still 200 miles-plus of fuel in the tank.
Presumably Honda arranges it this way because it has always been predictable, and the car has been anything from a Civic to a Legend.
I'd drive it a bit more if I were you, then fill it up again and check how much you put in against the mileage on the trip meter before you start pulling the wiring about.
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - nozmeister
thanks, it's started to come down a bit in the last couple of days. I wonder if the weather has something to do with it....

The gauge definately hasn't behaved like this in the year we've had it though...
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - P 2501
I think this is normal. My present Honda does this and my last peugeot. Something to do with the way the float in the petrol tank hits the roof of the tank and doesnt float fully until the level has dropped.

Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - Victorbox
"than 60 miles since you filled the tank right up then I would think this is normal" Agree, my Zafira doesn't move off the end stop until about 70-80 miles if brim full.
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - jc2
This characteristic is usually caused by a manufacturer using one common sender unit across a range of different tanks to save money.
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - Aprilia
Surely the point is that the OP presumably "knows his vehicle" (had it for a year) and thought it was behaving abnormally....?
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - P 2501
And he has been reassured that it isn't...
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - edisdead {P}
My experience is the same as Mike Hannon's, having driven several Honda models from the 80's/90's/00's. No Jazz yet though.
Ed.
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - cheekyman
I've had an 04 Jazz S for just over a year now. I had heard that a Jazz could do 450miles on a full tank, but mine was doing 360-370, with careful economic driving on mostly the same route each week. The fuel needle never moved until at least 60-70 miles, but a couple of times it didn't move until 100-110 !! on these occassions the car did 410-420 miles on a full tank.

It recently did it again with 428 miles before the fuel light came on, and i don't know if it sounds daft but it seems to depend on there being a vacuum in the fuel tank. after the 428 miles i filled up, and a lot of air was sucked into the tank when i unscrewed the cap. After i filled up the car started drinking petrol, and i checked the cap after 120miles; there was no vacuum. I undid it and screwed it back on tighter and after that the fuel consumption improved

Does fuel economy on a Jazz really depend on there being a vacuum in the fuel tank, anyone??
Honda Jazz Petrol Gauge stuck - Halmer
reported to admin as nothing ever goes wrong with Hondas..............................