What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CBF600 Oil Change - Greg R
Which particular oil would people recommend for this motorcycle?

I was thinking about the Castrol Magnatec 10w40. The manual just says 10w40 or 15w40.

This engine is based on the hornet engine (but detuned.)

Thanks
Honda CBF600 OIL CHANGE - AlastairM
Think you need to use motorcycle oil? After that depends if it is a new bike or not.
Honda CBF600 OIL CHANGE - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
If the clutch is immersed in the same oil as the engine then, yes, motorcycle specific oil is needed. Something to do with friction-modifiers springs to mind?
The Silkolene / Fuchs web-site has a good oil selector for bikes.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Honda CBF600 OIL CHANGE - SjB {P}
> Something to do with friction-modifiers springs to mind?

Indeed so, but I know of a Hornet 600 owner whose bike is now on a trouble free 108,000 miles and who uses Castrol Magnatec car oil as the lubricant. Impressive for a rev hungry bike engine, and no complaints from the clutch.

For the low cost difference involved - I ride my Hornet a maximum of 4,000 miles and one oil change per year - I personally use Castrol R4 fully synthetic motorbike oil.
Honda CBF600 OIL CHANGE - cheddar
Some fully synth car oils have caused clutch troubles in bikes, fully synth bike oil really only a benefit if extending the change intervals.

Halfords 10w/40 semi synth is made by Comma and is high spec, I determined last year that the car and motorbike versions are the same stuff in different packaging, the car version is cheaper.

Honda CBF600 OIL CHANGE - DP
Halfords 10w/40 semi synth is made by Comma and is high
spec, I determined last year that the car and motorbike versions
are the same stuff in different packaging, the car version is
cheaper.

Interesting - didn't know it was made by Comma.

My ZZR600 has been running on this stuff for the last few oil changes and it seems to like it. I bought the last lot for about a tenner on a half price deal.

Rock Oil is good stuff as well, but not so easy to find.

Cheers
DP
Honda CBF600 Oil Change - autumnboy
I think you'd best look at this site for Castrol and click on "Which oil should I use ?"

www.castrol.com/castrol/castrolhomepage.do?categor...5

Click on Motorcycles and then Honda, Model of your bike.

The grade should be 10w - 40, API grade ce, cf, cg

Either 'RS4 Superbike' or 'GPS 10W-40' for a Honda CBR600F 1998 is listed, which is the same for your bike.

Don't use Magnatec !!
Honda CBF600 Oil Change - martint123
I've been running my R1 on halfords fully synthetic 5w40, bought when it's in BOGOF or Half price since the second change at 4000 miles. Now around 75000 miles and original clutch plates and no slipping. I tend to change the oil when I change the rear tyre - harder use and both get changed more often, potter around and they both last longer.

Martin