What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo Auction Price Please - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Hi,
Firstly, thanks for all the help with the thread on my 306 HDi.
Due to my current problems with the Pug (see the thread in the Technical Forum) I've been offered another car as an option.
If I want it I need to make an offer, otherwise it goes to auction.

Can someone tell me what the following is worth at auction please? Also what the work would cost to get done.

Volvo V40 'Classic' '03 Reg
1.9 Diesel 'S' 115BHP
122,000 miles
Full Volvo Service Handbook

It needs the following work:
New discs & pads all round
New headlight
New drivers seatbelt.
125k Service

It was my old company car - I've since left the firm but am still friends with the fleet manager, so that's how I know the miles are mainly motorway, and about the repairs.

Thanks

Simon
Volvo Auction Price Please - Collos25
Sounds like one disaster to another,to how much its worth depends on colour ,condition of paint ,interior ,was it smoked in ,service history ,tyres ,extras .The only real way you will find out is when it actually is blocked the mileage alone will knock 3k+ of book and it needs around 1k spending on it should be very cheap.
Volvo Auction Price Please - bobda
I'd say £4000, at the very most.

I'd be quite wary of it. There are plenty of othr cars out there which won't need such immediate work for about the same price at that age.

Look at a few Citroen C5s. Here's one, for example, pulled off the Autotrader site...

"2002 02 Reg CITROEN C5 2.0 HDi 110 LX
5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, Metallic Blue, 1 Owner.
£3,988."
Volvo Auction Price Please - DavidHM
Pricing up the parts from Euro, allowing £150 + VAT for a service (assuming no timing belt) and three hours' labour at £40 + VAT for the brakes and headlight, it comes to £650 all in. (I've no idea what the seat belt would cost though).

I'd try to get the car for £4k all in, i.e., make an offer of £4k less the cost of rectification work.

Incidentally I wouldn't be too put off by the headlight and seatbelt (slightly unusal, admittedly, but unlikely to be major unless the seatbelt involves all kinds of airbag systems being disabled/reset in a very complicated manner) and just about any 3 to 5-year-old high miler could need brakes and a major service doing soon after purchase.
4k do not be silly with that mileage and no defects it only books at 3k
Volvo Auction Price Please - No FM2R
>>4k do not be silly with that mileage and no defects it only books at 3k

duh....

>>make an offer of £4k less the cost of rectification work.

If the rectification work is £500 - £1000 then isn't that what he's saying ? Certainly not worth a "do not be silly" comment.

And are you using the same book that you got the Espace price from ??
>>4k do not be silly with that mileage and no defects
it only books at 3k
duh....
>>make an offer of £4k less the cost of rectification work.
If the rectification work is £500 - £1000 then isn't that
what he's saying ? Certainly not worth a "do not be
silly" comment.
And are you using the same book that you got the
Espace price from ??

A car is worth what a dealer will give cash on the day not what the sticker says in a showroom or what you might get privately and this motor ain,t going to fetch much.
Volvo Auction Price Please - Altea Ego
Its a Volvo, its a good image, joe public thinks its safe, the mileage might scare them but none the less it would fly off any dealers lot.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Volvo Auction Price Please - massey
Probably only make £2500 at auction on a good day?
Volvo Auction Price Please - MichaelR
Since when have 03 plate anythings except weird small Korean things only been making £2500? I'd be suprised if its only worth that, even taking into account mileage.
Volvo Auction Price Please - bobda
Exactly what I thought...

Don't forget also, it's a diesel AND an estate, both of which hold their value better than the petrol and saloon equivalents.
Volvo Auction Price Please - local yokel
One on AT with similar mileage/history and same year at a dealer for £5950. Take off the grand for the work, and a grand for the dealer's margin/backup etc. and I make it worth £4,000 as it is, and probably worth a bit more to you as you know it's been cared for, not thrashed etc.

tinyurl.com/jztla is the one on AT.
Volvo Auction Price Please - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Thanks for the opinions. I think I might have goofed.

I plugged the details in to the AutoTrader valuation calculator and it came up with £1500 !!
I emailed the offer with a screenshot of the figures to prove my point, and offered £1200, expecting to put in up to £800 to fix the faults - They now say both front wheel bearings are noisy too.

Let's see what happens......
Volvo Auction Price Please - MichaelR
This is becuase it's powered by WhatCar and there are some serious errors in the calculation methods What Car use for high mileage vehicles. You can sometimes even get it to through up negative figures, but on the whole everything with 100k+ is undervalued by often thousands.

Luckily the previous owner of my Mondeo didn't notice this, so I got it for £1000 less than Glass's mileage adjusted trade price becuase he did a What Car valuation, assumed it was correct, and priced it at that..
Volvo Auction Price Please - Adam {P}
Just checked out the WhatCar site for a valuation. Apparently my car doesn't exist! Well it does, just not before 51 plate.

Volvo Auction Price Please - Hamsafar
VOLVO V40 1.9 D S 102 BHP Estate, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel. 2002 02

Avg: �4862

3+

New: �16345
Ret: �6595
Cln: �5025
Avg: �4650
Blw: �4275

New: �17605
Ret: �7345

Trd: �5125
VOLVO V40 1.9 D S 115 BHP Estate, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel. 2003 03

Avg: �5358

3+

New: �17285
Ret: �7475
Cln: �5750
Avg: �5300
Blw: �4825

New: �18545
Ret: �7975

Trd: �5755
VOLVO V40 1.9 D S 115 BHP Estate, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel. 2004 04

Avg: �7662

3+

New: �17285
Ret: �9095
Cln: �7375
Avg: �6875
Blw: �6300

New: �18545
Ret: �9530

Trd: �7310
VOLVO V40 1.9 D SE 115 BHP Estate, 5 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel. 2004 04

Avg: �8733

3+

New: �18485
Ret: �9975
Cln: �8200
Avg: �7675
Blw: �7100

New: �19745
Ret: �11070

Trd:
Volvo Auction Price Please - Hamsafar
They are BCA guide prices, but the parsing went funny. It looked OK in the message box!
Volvo Auction Price Please - bell boy
it bottom books at £3500 as is