What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Admin: posting links - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
I'm glad to see that people are beginning to explore the facility to include clickable links in their posts. Can I ask people to be responsible about what they link The Back Room to (ie no pics of grandma at Mablethorpe with her skirt tucked up, please!)? And can I also ask (since I won't be checking each link myself) that if anyone is offended by the content of a link that they bring it to my notice discreetly?

Thanks

Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Re: Admin: posting links - spud
Is it possible to add html or a jpg file to a post Martyn?
Could be handy if you can.
Re: Admin: posting links - Tomo
Should there not be another section on the left explaining these computer things? We are not all geeks, I believe is the word.
Re: Admin: posting links - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Tomo wrote:
>
> Should there not be another section on the left explaining
> these computer things? We are not all geeks, I believe is the
> word.

And spud asked if we could use html and jpeg pictures.

In fact, the link is the only form of html that can be used in this version of The Back Room. However, in the new version coming shortly it will be possible to add links, and to make text bold and italic, probably by highlighting and then clicking a button. There will be no need for explanatory notes. We don't plan to add an on-site picture facility at present because it would take up too much storage capacity.
Re: Admin: posting links - Sid
How about an external link for pictures, such as those prepared by Lee H? This could be done via a button which would not cause any extra storage space issues.

Sid
Re: Admin: posting links - Martyn, Back Room moderator
Sid wrote:
>
> How about an external link for pictures, such as those
> prepared by Lee H? This could be done via a button which
> would not cause any extra storage space issues.
>
> Sid

Thanks for this, Sid. I don't have any plans for pics at the moment (and the new software is more or less completed now) but it's certainly something to bear in mind. Perhaps in the meantime I might put a link to Lee in the preamble to the new version, if he's willing.
Re: Admin: posting links - pete (Brian Jones Garage)
Sorry Martin I can't find the facility - where is it?
Re: Admin: posting links - Martyn, Back Room moderator
pete (Brian Jones Garage) wrote:
>
> Sorry Martin I can't find the facility - where is it?

Pete, sorry to have missed this before.

The "facility" is built into Phorum, and allows you to make a clickable link by inserting a string of HTML code into your post. Unfortunately I can't enter the format you should use in this post, because it would (falsely) interpret it as a genuine link. So I'm going to email it to you. Hope that's ok.