Pinto valve gear - Lud
I have a very simple but quite urgent question that many br people can answer off the tops of their heads, but I can't because I've never owned one.

Is and injected 1983 Pinto engine in a Ford Scorpio provided with hydraulic tappets? My hostess's example here in the mountains of S. Spain sounds tappety at 197k kilometres. Does it need its clearances adjusted, or have the hydraulic tappets worn out?

Fast response wd be much appreciated.

Lud
Pinto valve gear - Adam {P}
I was wondering where you'd got to you sly old fox you. Southern Spain eh? Hostess eh?

Sorry - no idea. Someone will soon though I'm sure.
Pinto valve gear - Civic8
Its an overhead valve,yes tappets need adjusting manually
--
Steve
Pinto valve gear - George Porge
Pinto was OHC and is well known for blockages in the oil spray bar above the cam leading to cam lobe wear
dont recall it being OHC,2.8-2.9 Scorpio were OHV six cylinder units Cologne unit was used in MK2 granada auto that I recall?.

which had problems with carb,ie no other carb would correct without adjustments made to inlet manifold IIRC
--
Steve
Pinto valve gear - Manatee
Presumably it's a 4 cyl. 2.0? I well recall the flats on the cam on my 1975 Cortina. The oil spray bar was IIRC correctly fed from the centre and muck built from the ends cutting off the oil feed.
Pinto valve gear - bell boy
and dont make the holes bigger as you lose oil pressure,ideally you need a bent spanner to do the camshaft rocker finger towers on this engine, but most likely you will find the cam marked when you take the top off and therefore probably wasting your time.
all from memory havent seen in one of those for nearly 15 years probably
Pinto valve gear - bell boy
inlet 20mm
exhaust 25mm

set cold
Pinto valve gear - Lud
Thanks for replies especially oldman for the clearances (assume you meant to put 0. before the mm measurements!).

Yes it is an injected 2 litre Scorpio that goes quite well.

However it is long in the tooth and probably not worth a new camshaft and tappets. I might have a go at closing up the clearances if I feel courageous enough. Bit scared of taking the box off to tell the truth. Don't want to be stuck with a can of worms on holiday.

Any further important information wd be welcome because I won't be doing it tomorrow anyway.
Cam was a common problem on these,probably severe wear due to age,Mileage, they rarely survived past the 50k mark and knocked something chronic.

even changing oil on time did not help these cams,replacement cam is only option on this unit
--
Steve
IIRC it was advised to increase the size of hole in the rail.

but size was criticle in that being too large a hole, pressure as oldman mentioned was reduced,if drilled as specified by fords you should not have a problem.

bearing in mind some scorpios had 2.00 litre installed but this was was OHC not OHV.

What engine have you got ie V6 or straight four cyl
--
Steve
Pinto valve gear - jc2
UK Granada/Scorpio was available with 2.0 OHC;in Europe the same car was fitted with 2.0 V6.
Pinto valve gear - George Porge
UK Granada/Scorpio was available with 2.0 OHC;in Europe the same car
was fitted with 2.0 V6.

Title says pinto, which is 4 cylinder OHC with known fault being blocked oil spray pipe to the camshaft, causing wear to the cam.

Can you post an under bonnet photo to stop confusion?
Pinto valve gear - Lud
No need for a photo. It is a Pinto engine, a crude looking belt-driven ohc straight four, injected in this case.

From what oldman says adjusting the valve clearances may be a bit awkward (especially without any tools to speak of). I am willing to try however if doing it is likely to reduce the top-end clatter. It isn't enormously loud, but audible with the bonnet closed.

If nothing is done, how long can these engines go on with a tappety top end? Perhaps the best solution is to do nothing?
Pinto valve gear - Number_Cruncher
>>If nothing is done, how long can these engines go on with a tappety top end?

Ages. Obviously, it's best to have the tappets set correctly, but if there's a choice, it's much better to have tappets too wide rather than too tight.

>>Perhaps the best solution is to do nothing?

Probably. As the shape of inlet manifold will make access difficult, the special tool, a specially shaped open ended spanner, which is driven by a 1/2" square drive is needed to get in to make the adjustments. If you don't have such a tool, don't bother taking the cam cover off.

Number_Cruncher
Pinto valve gear - Lud
Thank you number cruncher. From what oldman said I thought I wd have to get a forged spanner and bend it!

There's a Ford dealer in a small town near here and I might try to borrow the thing from them, or buy it. Apparently they gather round the Scorpio laughing helpfully, seeing it as something of a classic these days.

Realistically I doubt if they will have it, but it might be worth trying. Alternatively I cd. suggest to my friend that she gets them, or the local mechanic who sold her the car a year or so back, to adjust the valve clearances.

Your message suggesting that a bit of top end clatter won't lunch the valve train immediately is a great relief to me.
Pinto valve gear - Happy Blue!
I had a Cortina with the carburettor version of this engine. I changed the oil, filter and cam feed pipe religiously every 4,000miles and it lasted well over 100,000miles before the car was nicked!

I would certainly try to change the oil feed pipe as well as doing anything else to the engine.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Pinto valve gear - Lud
Thank you number cruncher. Yr information is just what I need to proceed further, with due caution and without letting myself in for dirty hands while achieving nothing. That has happened to me a number of times over the years, and it is always annoying to put it mildly.

There's a Ford dealer in a small town near here that might be able to help. However even if they can't, it's reassuring to know that the valve train won't necessarily lunch itself immediately.
Pinto valve gear - Lud
Damn. I thought I'd lost the first message on this unfamiliar computer. I'm not going gaga, quite, just yet.
Pinto valve gear - Lud
And thank you everyone else too. I'm most impressed and will post any outcome.
Pinto valve gear - Lud
The Ford dealer said it would adjust the valve clearances for not much money. The cambelt has only been in the car for 40,000 kilometres or less, so is OK for another 40,000. The exhaust is blowing in several places, not badly but it adds up. That work will be done on Monday.

Two new rear tyres bought today for 65 euros each, the existing ones having turned out to be knackered on the inside shoulders (having been on the front and changed round). Wheels impeccably balanced as part of the price by a Colombian looking technician who turned out to be, in fact, Colombian. He also inflated all four tyres to their correct pressures.

Apart from the price of secondhand cars motoring seems very cheap in Spain.
Pinto valve gear - Roberson
Apart from the price of secondhand cars motoring seems very cheap
in Spain.

Just came back from a Uni fieldtrip to the Andalusia region of Spain (up in the Sierra Nevada mountains mostly) and you're right about that, well as far as fuel prices go anyway. There was a first edition AX for sale, rather beaten too, for nearly ?700!

Pinto valve gear - sierraman
UK Granada/Scorpio was available with 2.0 OHC;in Europe the same car
was fitted with 2.0 V6.

These were the later Zetec engines,the era of Lud's car used the 2.8 and 2.9 litre Cologne V6 as well as the Pinto.
Pinto valve gear - jc2
There were no Zetec!!There was also the 2.3V6,2.6V6,a 1.7 V4-1.9,2.1,2.3,2.5,2.5TD Peugeots.The 2.9 was FI only and the 2.8 was available as both Carb. and FI.
Pinto valve gear - jc2
The Zetec was only used by Ford as a transverse engine(E/W).Later Scorpio/Granada used the DOHC in both carb and FI forms(a totally different engine still used in Transit and Galaxy).
Pinto valve gear - Lud
The Scorpio referred to in the OP is left hand drive and badged Scorpio 2.0i. I am told it sounds and goes better with the new exhaust but no one can tell me for sure whether the valve clearances have been done.

The car uses a lot of oil, but doesn't smoke visibly and doesn't appear to be leaking. Could something along the lines of a blocked breather cause excessive oil consumption?

I drove it a couple of hundred motorway miles. Obviously no slingshot, especially at its age, but trundled along OK at and above the Spanish motorway maximum of 120ks. Went up hills four up somewhat better than the Fiat Punto we hired two up. But was very thirsty by comparison. Fairly sound suspension and, I discovered with some alarm, working ABS.

If anyone ever mentions small concrete bollards in the back streets of Cordoba to me with a grin I may challenge them to a duel.
Pinto valve gear - jc2
Every Granada ever made had ABS.
>>The car uses a lot of oil, but doesn't smoke visibly

Not that you can see from drivers seat anyway,its clouds of smoke from perspective of following motors,and dies off before you see it in drivers mirror.
chances are its either worn valve guides or seals,if it was burning oil all the time oil control rings!And they have always been thirsty on fuel
--
Steve
Pinto valve gear - Lud
I watched it drive away a couple of times and never saw anything but a bit of vapour from a cold engine. But I never followed it on the road, so perhaps it's smoking a bit. Not much though, for sure.