What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What's at the head of the queue? - stokie
Ambling along a normally fast A-Road the other day behind an old Pajero, I got to wondering which cars other backroomers associate with extra slow driving?

Back in the 80's I remember Triumph Toledos heading the queue.
More recently E-H reg Renault Espace's have, erm, slowed the pace of life somewhat.
What's at the head of the queue? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Used to Maestros and 200 Rovers, I am not sure that I see a trend right now. What I do see is people on M ways and dual carriageways with a 70 limit, driving at about 50 and having to be overtaken by lorries etc causing a great deal of general hold up and aggravation. If the limit is 70 and the conditions permit there is no good reason for progressing at 50 or less - or is there?
What's at the head of the queue? - rg
Anything 15 years old, Japanese saloon/hatch, and showing signs of being cleaned too often.

With the population getting progressively older, "The Tartan Blanket Brigade" will provide more and more "dynamic traffic calming". Bless 'em.

Often, when towing nearly two tonnes of caravan with our Monterey, we are victims of weaving tailgaters who assume that it's us who are slowing things up. Little do they know that we are following some Nissan/Toyota with two grey heads fixed in the front seat, who are obviously suffering from a mirror allergy, and think that if they exceed 45mph, their bodies will become anti-matter.

Fun follows when the said tailgaters zoom past and express irritation, only to find that they have no choice but to overtake said grey pilots, formerly unseen, and enough to push the overtaking process into the danger zone. Yikes.

r
What's at the head of the queue? - daveyjp
For me the other day it was a Yaris - it was an urban scenario, but a max of 20 mph for 3 miles isn't fun especially when this is interspersed with heavy braking for every bend and stopping to let cars thorough at parked cars even though the road is wide enough for four lanes of traffic!

The irony is I'd changed my route to work as the local radio had just said a roundabout on my usual route was blocked due to an accident! To further compound the situation two side streets I use to avoid a very busy roundabout have been made access only to stop rat running, so the queue at said roundabout was heavier than usual. The 'No Access' signs didn't stop the Yaris driver rat running though as she turned left through the estate and I overtook her doing the 20mph on the 40 limit dual carriageway.
What's at the head of the queue? - mss1tw
Suzuki Wagon R
What's at the head of the queue? - Union Jack
"I got to wondering which cars other backroomers associate with extra slow driving?"

I appreciate that the prevailing speed limit will often be a disincentive to safe and legal overtaking, but don't forget the old adage that "Number two makes the queue"!

jack
What's at the head of the queue? - Falkirk Bairn
May be it should have been Neil Kinnock when he had 9 pts.
What's at the head of the queue? - David Horn
Do BR's get irritated if they're held up on a motorway by someone doing 70mph exactly in the right hand lane?
What's at the head of the queue? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Ony if the person doing 70 in the ouside lane has 2 clear lanes on his left - this is often the case!
What's at the head of the queue? - rja1980
I never get irritated by people doing exactly 70mph in the right hand lane. You have to be playing hard & fast (no pun intended ;) ) with the rules for these guys to ever be a problem. I just move back to the left when finished my overtaking. It works and saves the blood pressure.

What's at the head of the queue? Not a HGV in my experience. I can't remember the last time I was caught behind one observing the 40mph limit on single-carriageway A roads.

Perhaps more likely one of my work colleagues in a late '90s Espace! Solution: get out of work quick before Mr *******!.
What's at the head of the queue? - SteVee
>>With the population getting progressively older, "The Tartan Blanket Brigade" will provide more and more "dynamic traffic calming". Bless 'em.<<

LOL :-) Thanks rg !

As a biker, I can tell you that it's a Rover 400 (used to be one of those little Volvo/Daf things). In Surrey, it's probably a jaguar.
I don't understand why the car following the slow car has to travel so close, or why it has such problems overtaking :- so I agree with the nr 2 causing the q.
What's at the head of the queue? - Roberson
"The Tartan Blanket Brigade"

LOL

In our area its quite frequenty things like Perodua Kelisas and Suzuki Alto's being driven at a pace where its probably quicker to get out and walk.
What's at the head of the queue? - Dynamic Dave
The red Vauxhall Corsa TD that seems to leave work just before I do. Regardless of leaving work earlier or later, the darn thing is still front of me most evenings.
What's at the head of the queue? - Martin Devon
There's a lot of people who would love to live in a place like that!! but I do sympathise.

vbr.......................md
What's at the head of the queue? - sine
Fun follows when the said tailgaters zoom past and express irritation, only to find that they have no choice but to overtake said grey pilots, formerly unseen, and enough to push the overtaking process into the danger zone. Yikes

No wonder they express irritation. If you're not able to overtake the slower car then at least leave a large gap between you and said grey pilots to allow others who are able to 'make progress' to overtake you at one opportunity and the grey pilots at the next. In my opinion you are partly responsible for making the overtake more dangerous than it needs to be.
>No wonder they express irritation. If you're not able to overtake the slower car then at least leave a large gap between you and said grey pilots to allow others who are able to 'make progress' to overtake you at one opportunity and the grey pilots at the next. In my opinion you are partly responsible for making the overtake more dangerous than it needs to be.

----------------------------------------------------------------

No, I always leave a decent amount of distance between said gray folks, as they have a habit of not signalling their intentions, and also losing speed for no good reason without braking.

The overtakers simply panic when they see the other vehicle. If they'd done a bit more observation, including, importantly, pulled back so that they had a better field of vision, they would have seen that we are following another vehicle.

Closing the gap to spite the overtaker is pointless, dangerous, and, if a collision occours, it becomes our problem anyway, as we might be hit by one of the other vehicles involved.

Another observed trait of the "Tartan Blanket Tendency" is accellerating on gentle motorway climbs, when I'm trying to overtake them, and my "passing speed" performance is marginal. Many, many times they've speeded up and made my whole manoevre far more drawn out. I tow a variety of trailers for business, and this is the case when towing them as well.

r
What's at the head of the queue? - Roberson
Another observed trait of the "Tartan Blanket Tendency" is accellerating on
gentle motorway climbs, when I'm trying to overtake them, and my
"passing speed" performance is marginal. Many, many times they've speeded up
and made my whole manoevre far more drawn out. I
tow a variety of trailers for business, and this is the
case when towing them as well.

Sadly, its not just the coffin dodgers who are guilty of that
What's at the head of the queue? - sine
ah sorry, i see what you mean now
What's at the head of the queue? - drbe
Fun follows when the said tailgaters zoom past and express irritation,
only to find that they have no choice but to overtake
said grey pilots, formerly unseen, and enough to push the overtaking
process into the danger zone. Yikes.
r

>>

Does it sound as though you are driving too close to the car in front? You should always leave enough space for overtaking drivers to pull in between you and the vehicle in front.

Leans back, arms folded, rather smug...............
What's at the head of the queue? - Lud
Leans back, arms folded, rather smug...............

Closes eyes and runs off road into a springy thicket of coppiced willow saplings, totally destroying car but emerging unharmed and scowling...
>Does it sound as though you are driving too close to the car >in front? You should always leave enough space for overtaking >drivers to pull in between you and the vehicle in front.

>Leans back, arms folded, rather smug...............

I've not made this very clear - sorry!

There's room to pull in, but it's their poor roadcraft (not choosing to pop into the gap) and hasty decision that means that the whole thing gets fraught.

Hopefully it's a lesson for next time. Sadly, it probably isn't.

r
What's at the head of the queue? - Manatee
Often, when towing nearly two tonnes of caravan with our Monterey,
we are victims of weaving tailgaters who assume that it's us
who are slowing things up. Little do they know that
we are following some Nissan/Toyota with two grey heads fixed in
the front seat, who are obviously suffering from a mirror allergy,
and think that if they exceed 45mph, their bodies will become
anti-matter.
Fun follows when the said tailgaters zoom past and express irritation,
only to find that they have no choice but to overtake
said grey pilots, formerly unseen, and enough to push the overtaking
process into the danger zone. Yikes.

Why do they have to overtake the grey pilots as well? Surely not because you are following too closely to allow someone with more agility than your combo to pass you one at a time?

I admit to having said this before, but it is usually the second vehicle that makes the queue...
"I admit to having said this before, but it is usually the second vehicle that makes the queue..."

Manatee - But will you admit to having *seen* this before - further up this thread ....!?

Yours in jest.

Jack
What's at the head of the queue? - Manatee
"I admit to having said this before, but it is usually
the second vehicle that makes the queue..."
Manatee - But will you admit to having *seen* this before
- further up this thread ....!?
Yours in jest.
Jack

Apologies for hasty reply - I forgot to read the rest of the thread before shooting from the hip. Probably trigger-happy because I followed what I thought were three nose-to-tail artics for miles on the A5 yesterday - turned out to be a wagon and drag at the front, and two artics behind - any would have been relatively easy to pass had there been space in front but the whole train must have been the best part of 200ft long! I let a couple of pushy drivers leap-frog me before we all overtook on a long-awaited dualled stretch.
What's at the head of the queue? - Stuartli
>>Back in the 80's I remember Triumph Toledos heading the queue.>>

My daughter's first car was a Triumph Toledo which was followed by a Triumph Acclaim.

She never held anyone up - in fact they probably couldn't keep up with her...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
What's at the head of the queue? - steveincornwall
Rovers, Rovers, Rovers, Rovers, Rovers, Rovers and er Rovers
Steve
What's at the head of the queue? - Sofa Spud
Older Jaguar XJ6's, especially if sandy gold colour, driven by elderly men.
What's at the head of the queue? - Sofa Spud
"The Car in front is a Toyota." - unintended double meaning?

Another case of such unintended Freudianism is the latest advert for the new Alfa 159 that has a picture of the car and the caption "mediocrity is a crime." Given that Alfa Romeo were for years associated with almost Lada-esque mediocrity the advert could be seen as self-defeating!!!
What's at the head of the queue? - L'escargot
Older Jaguar XJ6's, especially if sandy gold colour, driven by elderly
men.

That's both sexist and ageist!
--
L\'escargot.
What's at the head of the queue? - drbe
Perhaps I also owe an apology for a too rapid response, when the point had already been made further down the thread.

I still think my point was valid, if a little, er, smug?
Could be posted in either this thread, or the concurrent one on "Slow Driving" but, in many states in the US, it used to be the case that, if a vehicle travelling slower than the prevailing speed limit on a two-way road ended up building up a tail of following traffic, it was obliged to pull over to let all of them pass once a tail of X (varied from state to state) had built up behind them.

NY state traffic rules at tinyurl.com/qtn4x specify the need to leave space betweenvehicles for safe overtaking.

Jack
What's at the head of the queue? - Stuartli
>>..obliged to pull over to let all of them pass..>>

Whenever I've been in southern Ireland I've always found the local drivers usually pull over to the left as required to allow faster traffic through.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
What's at the head of the queue? - mrmender
If it's anywhere in Norfolk it may be my FIL with his 1947 Field Marshall tractor with living van & Water Bowser in tow off to some show or other.. I kid ye not!
He once towed a 30ft Static caravan 5 miles with a Maestro van, I think the police due to his age just tend to give up on him
What's at the head of the queue? - Hamsafar
Rovers, these are the people who used to drive the Volvo 340 (Dummies we were told by Volvo)

They hate driving, hate cars, and buy Rovers (except 75 or Tata Indica).
Even the MG ones are driven slowly and badly.
What's at the head of the queue? - RichardM
Rovers, without a doubt.
What's at the head of the queue? - eProf
Let us not forget the Learner Driver, toddling along with its Instructor warning forever of the dangers of reckless speed. Remember that these are the drivers of the future who need all our help to ...Get Off The Road!

eProf
fact is though eProf learning to drive slowly and precisely is exactly what the driving test is largely about, and exactly what talentless learner drivers find most difficult...
What's at the head of the queue? - eProf
fact is though eProf learning to drive slowly and precisely is
exactly what the driving test is largely about, and exactly what
talentless learner drivers find most difficult...

The last one I followed did drive very precisely, precisely in the middle of the road. It did indicate though, every time it overtook a snail.

eProf
Come come, you have to walk before you can run. Have you no compassion man?
And remember, a lot of urban driving, groan, is just like that. Takes a few months to pick up brisk habits in the conditions, i.e. not slowly realising you ought to get moving ten seconds after the car in front has departed, like a foreigner or drug addict or moron or pain in the fundament or pompous git or general fool at the checkout in a shop.

'£2.49, sir (or madam)'

'Whaaaa...? Oh.'

Only then does the turkey slowly reach into a carrier bag for a handbag or purse and slowly start opening it to search carefully for the right money. Anyone with half a brain would have it ready - the right money I mean - in their hand. But that isn't the world we live in. Makes you long for the intelligent company of mandrills say, or better still wise orang utans. Just a personal view of course.
What's at the head of the queue? - PhilW
"Only then does the turkey slowly reach into a carrier bag for a handbag or purse and slowly start opening it to search carefully for the right money. Anyone with half a brain would have it ready - the right money I mean - in their hand. But that isn't the world we live in. Makes you long for the intelligent company of mandrills say, or better still wise orang utans. Just a personal view of course."

Please, in future, refrain from being so rude about my wife, and, come to think of it, my mother, sister and daughter.
--
Phil
What's at the head of the queue? - R40
Rovers, these are the people who used to drive the Volvo
340 (Dummies we were told by Volvo)
They hate driving, hate cars, and buy Rovers (except 75 or
Tata Indica).
Even the MG ones are driven slowly and badly.

lol

Hmm.........let me guess.

You drive a 10 year old BMW 3 series with tinted windows, oversized alloys and out of date tax? No? Ah sorry, it's an 8 year old BMW! :)