What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
138mpg in a Xantia! - GT
Was interested (ref: recent Xantia thread) to again check consumption of my HDi (110) saloon at a steady 70. Topped up before and after a 96 mile journey of mostly A14 dual carriageway. Strange thing was that at the end, I could only fit about 3 litres in the tank. So this worked out to, errr, 138mpg! Have I created some sort of record, or is this just a load of airlocks?
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - Amazed
What was towing you
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - john w.
Even more amazing than your fuel economy is the fact than anyone can hold a steady 70 on the A14!
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - Honest John
Diesel froth stopped you filling the tank to the level it was at before you started.

HJ
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - GT
Don't think so. After the filler nozzle first cuts out, I then trickle in on partial pressure until the (un-frothy) fuel level settles an inch or so below the filler cap. I did this for both the "before" and "after" fill-up's. I can only presume for the "after" that an airlock had formed further down into the tank. I was anticipating putting about 9 litres in, rather than only 3.
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - peter
Let us know what happens next time u fill it up!

I feel that u may be posting 13.7mpg in a Xantia.
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - Ian Cook
GT

This is undoubtedly a filling problem. Diesel Xantias are notorious for frothing unless you fill them very slowly at the end. I find that I get at least two litres in the HDi after it is intially full.

Also, Citroen quotes the tank as holding 65 litres but I've achieved a 64.5 litre top up, and I know there was more in the tank because I keep rigorous fuel consumtion records.

Ian
Ian, yes I appreciate the frothing with diesel. However, at each top up I carefully dribble in the last litre or so until I can see the (unfrothy) level of diesel just below the top of the filler neck. I did this before and after my 96-mile test. It just has to be an airlock somewhere further down, though I've never heard of such a thing before. I'll run this tankful down and see what the next fill-up brings. I might even ask Citroen if they want to comment.
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - Flat in Fifth
I don't want to get into an anorak debate about fuel con to 15 dec pls. I think the problem here is the potential experimental error because its a relatively short distance and small quantity of fuel.

Quick calculation in Excel shows that if the "airlock" prevented an extra 1/2/3 litres of fuel the mpg would have reduced to 104/84/70 mpg so not outside the bounds of possibility perhaps.

You weren't slipstreaming heavies with a following tail wind were you? ;-)

And what did the pay desk bod say when you only bought 3 litres and flashed the plastic?
FIF

I wondered whether this car of GT's was a mate of Ron Weasley's Dad's Ford Anglia. In which case I could be interested in buying it.

Ian
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - David W
Not related to fuel consumption but ease of going....

Few years ago I had a really nice Land Rover 90 2.5 diesel 5-speed (non-turbo). Went from Huntingdon to Cambridge along the A14 one day and just couldn't believe how well it was going (How well...??). There I was in the fast lane all the way with the exec boys, and looking down on them!

On the way back it wouldn't pull fifth and the top speed was nearly 30mph less than the outward journey.

I'd been driving with one of the strongest westerly winds of the year dead behind me. If I'd done a fuel consumption check on the way out I could have always claimed my Land Rover will do **mph and 40mpg.

Sorry GT this will be an error in one way or another.

David
Go on then Ian, its not April 1 so I'll buy it. Please explain, I know I'm being obtuse........................
Sorry, FIF - it's me who's being obtuse. Ron Weasley is a mate of Harry Potter at Hogwarts School for wizards, and his Dad's Ford Anglia (reversed back window model) flies.

Funny what you'll read when you get older!

Ian
Ian, I fondly remember cutting my teeth, as it were, on the old Anglebox. The only car I've had where the rear window never needed cleaning. Don't suppose the angle was aerodynamically efficient, but we didn't care so much about saving fuel in those days, as I recall. Those were the days......
Ian,
You were not being obtuse, possibly just bad timing. How were you to know that we are going to see the film on Saturday. So you posted a week early I'm afraid.
Regds,
FiF
Presumably, you're going to see "The Philosopher's Stone" - the Ford Anglebox doesn't appear in that story, so I won't have spoiled it.

Enjoy the film!

Rgds

Ian
No Anglebox, dammit I'll have to rely on the steam train interest to keep me awake then.

We had a Harry Potter special on the Severn Valley Railway at October half term week, visitor numbers were well up methinks.
F-i-f,

(agree about the anorak bit). You're right about the small distance; trouble is, this is the longest journey I can reasonably do at roughly a constant 70, given my current movements - anything longer involves lots of town driving at either end which would invalidate the excercise. I'd been expecting to use about 9 litres, but to fit in only 3 implies some big airlock, unless I'm really getting 138 to the gallon. It's not the froth factor either - I carefully dribble to maximise the intake at every fill-up.

As for the pay desk, well minimum delivery was 2.5 litres, so I just qualified, but thought I'd best up the spend with sweets for the kids (setting a dangerous precedent!)
Re: 138mpg in a Xantia! - Brian
GT
The Anglebox wasn't that bad on fuel consumption.
We used to get 40 mpg out of ours, so it compared well with modern cars in that respect.
Regards
Brian