What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - Greg R
I have a 125 honda scooter (automatic).

It has been serviced since new (plugs and oil always changed frequently).

It seems to start first time in all weathers if it is used daily, which I use to work. There are no obvious signs of engine wear or anything like that.

However, if I leave it for a few days, it takes a few attempts to get it started.

Is this what is known as flooding? How can I improve the situation?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
!
Could it be carb orientated problem?

Or Battery problem?
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - SteVee
some bikes have a vacuum operated fuel valve.
if the carb float chamber loses fuel over a few days then you will have to crank the engine to create vacuum to open the valve. Once the float chamber has sufficient fuel the bike starts.
How old is the scoot, and does it have manual choke ?
How does it run in the first few seconds after starting ?

If this is happening, then the easiest solution is to make sure the battery has enough power to crank it for long enough.
The bike is only 2 years old with 18000 kms on the clock. It seems to only happen in colder weather. Normally it is fine if not left for a day or two.

Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - Lud
I seem to remember that bikes and other small-engined devices used to have a hand pump to fill the float chamber before starting the thing.
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - Dynamic Dave
I seem to remember that bikes and other small-engined devices used to have a hand pump to fill the float chamber before starting the thing.

Called "tickling the carb" I believe? Last time I saw an engine with one of those was on an old Suffolk Punch lawn mower.

I've had motorbikes dating back to 1976 and none of them have had them fitted.

Anyway, back to the original question,

Greg, has the bike got an auto choke?
Yes, it does have an auto choke.

What is strange, in minus conditions it will start first time. Only if it is left for 3 days will it struggle a little to start.
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - Altea Ego
describe a "few attempts"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A 'few attempts'.

On first attempt it almost runs, but then stalls.

On second attempt, it won't start.

On third attempt it will start and the revs will go up eventually to normal although it doesn't start and run nicely for about 30 seconds.

It takes about 1 minute to start it all in all.
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - Lud
Sounds like my chainsaw, a 2-stroke with manual choke. You pull out the choke and spin the motor until it fires audibly, which it usually does on the second pull. Then you push the choke back in and spin it again. It starts, idling slowly for a few seconds and then picking up to its normal idle. Once it's done that it's ready to work.
Sounds very much to me as though it's a choke related problem.
On a scooter, where would I find the auto choke. Maybe it just needs cleaning?
On a scooter, where would I find the auto choke. Maybe it just needs cleaning?

If it works fine when freezing cold, but is problematic when it's not so cold, then *maybe* there's a sensor somewhere that's faulty. No idea about these modern fangled things though. All the bikes I've ever worked on had manual chokes and you could see exactly what was going on when the choke lever was moved.
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - SteVee
>>On first attempt it almost runs, but then stalls.

On second attempt, it won't start.

On third attempt it will start and the revs will go up eventually to normal although it doesn't start and run nicely for about 30 seconds.<<

That's exactly like a bike I had with vacuum operated fuel valve.
The bike has a little fuel in the float which *might* allow it to start. But it won't run until the fuel valve has operated for long enough to fill the float chamber.
Hard starting scooter if left for 3 days - Stuartli
Start it up every two days, even if you are not using it. End of problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by