What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvos - safety fear - ian (cape town)
Bit of scary stuff...

www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=132&art_id=qw1013...4
Re: Volvos - safety fear - CM
It is no worse than being under a power line!

I thought that living under a power line gave you cancer /lukemia etc (as the prof said).
Mercs too!!- safety fear - Big Vern
Why single out Volvos, Merc C class and no doubt some other Marques also have a battery in the back.

All electronic cicuits these days should be designed to reduce EM emissions radiating from power cords, so it should not matter where the battery is placed, if Volvo circuitry is particularly bad I would hope any fix would look at the source of the problem, and not just move the battery to try to hide the issue.
Re: Mercs too!!- safety fear - Iain
Has this page been closed down. I can't access it?
Can anyone else still callit up?
Re: Mercs too!!- safety fear - Andrew Barnes
The old mini has the battery in the boot, that was unreported for 40 years!

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Dan J
Absolute crap
Re: Volvos - safety fear - markymarkn
My dad's 5 series has the battery in the back.

Never heard anyone complaining before.

Im sure the coil, alternator, ht leads and such like all produce magnetic fields much worse (Well maybe not HT leads because they're co-ax, but at the ends and so on).

Next they'll be warning you not to stand too close to the toaster or the kettle because they are carcenogenic when they're turned on.

Ditto Dan J.

Mark.
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Brian
Some toasters and kettles come with the warning: "Danger, may become hot in use" or suchlike.
I should hope so, otherwise it's goingback to the shop!
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Alwyn
Ian,

When I was involved with safety issues at the Electricity Board, I noticed in the meter test section where I worked that there was the potential ( sic) for strong magnetic fields.

We were running up to 800 amps through busbars with current transformers picking up the current and feeding it to the meters at 5 amps.

A chappie was testing the magnetic fields around overhead power lines so I asked him to bring his bat ( the instrument and detector looked like a table tennis bat) into our test station.

He turned it on and I ran 800 Amps through the busbars.

****, he cried, as the needle flew off the scale. I immediately asked Head Office safety engineers to test the fields with their flux detectors and they calmly pronounced, "No problem". Hmmmmm. Who did we believe? Their meter showed flux levesl well within safety levels.

What does a starter motor take in amps/ 200? 300? Could be similar to our experience in the test station but, given that it is only on for a few seconds, I doubt it would cause much damage, if any. other components would take too little current to hurt us. ( I think :-0 )
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Mark (Brazil)
total rubbish.

We can't even prove to our own satisfaction whether there is risk from power lines or not. We think not, but the levels are so low as to be virtually unmeasurable either way.

From a car battery, for crissakes.
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Julian Lindley
BV,

MB have placed the battery under the bonnet on the new C class, I don't know whether this also applies to the S or the coming E class.

Regards,

Julian L
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Honest John
Any of you seen the bit in the Godfather (Part ???) where the gorgeous Appolonia, bride of Michael Corleone, gets into the Family Alfa, turns the key and the the car goes bang? Alfas were traditionally easy to wire for this sort of purpose because their batteries were in their boots.

HJ
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Pete W
Probably more danger from having a mobile phone stuck to your ear frying your brain whilst driving one handed.

As most Bikers will know the Volvo lot have always been a bit strange, no need to put the battery in the boot to encourage them.
Re: Volvos - safety fear - steve paterson
Mark,

Not sure about such electrical fields being immeasurable. Anyone with a sensitive digital mutimeter can carry out a simple experiment that seems to show the magnetic / electrical field of a human body.
Switch to the lowest millivolt scale and spread the leads apart, let the display settle to zero. Move close to, and away from the meter between the leads. The display shows a voltage which settles back to zero if you stop moving. There's probably a simple explanation for this, but whatever it is, it must be related to electrical fields. If such tiny fields can be generated (and measured) it might be that stronger fields could interfere with the natural human field.
I'm probably completely wrong again, but can you or anyone put me right.

Steve.
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Mark (Brazil)
>>it might be that stronger fields could interfere with the natural human field.

The word "might" is both accurate, and the unprovable, so far, bit.

Assuming it does interfere, then it would have to be proved whether or not this was harmful.

A lot of money had been spent, and continues to be spent, to try and prove this one way or another. No result yet.
Re: Volvos - safety fear - Honest John
Volvos offer an option which turns the entire car into a mobile phone. You put your SIM card into a little slot in the dash, dial up and voices come out of your head restraint. When you want to reply, you just talk and a mike picks it up. I don't know what this does to a human electrical field.

HJ
Re: Volvos - safety fear - alex
The Rover P6 had the battery in the boot too.

How many others did?

The electricity in a car is 12 V, and once the engine has started a couple of amps usually. In our house we have 240V. When taking a shower using an electric shower, current in the region of 40 amps flow.

When the engine is running the power to drive the lights / air con etc comes from the alternator - which is I expect, in the front on the said Volvo?, unlike rear and mid engined 'super' cars?

Alex