What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Falkirk Bairn
2 year old Phaeton V6 3.2ltr, under 20,000 mls advertised by VW main dealer at £19,000.

This is new Golf type money / new Ford Mondeo price?

What is the catch? - apart from fuel consumption?
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Gromit {P}
2 year old Phaeton V6 3.2ltr...20,000 mls...£19,000.

Its appetite for diesel is catch enough for most people. And the VW badge, rather than Munich propellor or three-pointed star, on the nose.

If you're in the market for a land barge, one of these could be a bargain - provided you're going to keep it. Wouldn't that Golf be in considerably more demand come resale time?

- Gromit
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Roly93
>> 2 year old Phaeton V6 3.2ltr...20,000 mls...£19,000.
>> What is the catch? - apart from fuel consumption?
Its appetite for diesel is catch enough for most people.
And the VW badge, rather than Munich propellor or three-pointed star,
on the nose.

The 3.2 is a Petrol car, so the fuel consumption thing is even worse. HOWEVER, it would be no worse than any other 3 litre car, and look what you'd be getting for the money, ie a Bentley Continental on the cheap !
In my opinion the Phaeton is an over-engineered and under-rated car that was only a mistake because of the market sector VW tried to sell in.
I would go for one, but it would have to be the V6 diesel.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - NowWheels

servicing costs?
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Aprilia
I guess the catch is that in 2-3 years time you would struggle to sell and take a big hit financially.

OK if you're going to keep it a long time, but then running costs will bite!
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - SteVee
I'm no fan of VW, but ...
the more I hear of the phaeton, the more I want one !
And at that price I could have one - that is some deal.

The servicing costs could be high.
Deperciation doesn't hit until you sell - and there is no guarantee that any car is going to worth some amount in a few years.
I must get myself a drive in one sometime.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Lud
Is a Phaeton going to use more diesel than say a new turbodiesel Land Rover? If so almost affordable I'd say, especially if the thing is as well made as people seem to think.
But of course will be even more affordable when someone else has carried another couple of years of depreciation without harming the actual jalopy.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - cheddar
The 3.2 is a petrol.
'23mpg combined' I see... might as well have the W12 then.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Pugugly {P}
I'd buy it for that......Skoda, VW badge - whatever.
If they had any class they'd have badged it Skoda anyway, great engineering company at the turn of the 20th century not some Johnny-come-lately company cobbled together quite cleverly actually by Ferdinand Porsche and others at the behest of Hitler...
I actually quite like the idea of one of these in a reverse snobbery kind of way, just as it is much more satisfying to drive a well equipped, great to drive Mondeo compared to a very basic A4 or 318d with plastic wheel covers etc, a loaded used Phaeton would give a certain satisfaction. Likewise a Toureg or a Grand Cherokee to some extent.
Couldn't agree more. At one point my dream was a Golf GTI-eating Skoda Estelle. The great ignorance of Joneses with whom you couldn't keep down if you tried is one of the pleasures of unusual cars, even neglected and despised ones.
In fact I want it.
Me too but...
In fact I want it.

So PU, if I give you 20k for the 535, you buy the Phaeton, then you have the car you want and a grand in your hand CSFTTT?
not that much perhaps
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - plecostomus
what about a V10 diesel - they must be a hoot - surely in a splippery Phaeton you might get 35mpg on a motorway?
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Imagos
I'm surprised there isn't a snobbish 'I would never buy a Phaeton, VW means peoples car' utter tosh comment in this thread.

I'd seriously consider this car. My current executive fav car.

The older it gets the better it gets too. For value and desirability IMO.

A great car.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - DavidHM
PU - so why didn't you buy a Phaeton last time round?

(I know the 535d is a great car but like the Phaeton and unlike the 530d, it's auto only - and VW are offering the Phaeton at £36,995 for the 3.0 TDi at the moment. As for performance, Wetterauer in Germany will chip it to 299PS for ?1,500 or so?)

And yes, I could be seriously tempted at £20k for a 2-year-old petrol if my finances were up to it.
PU - so why didn't you buy a Phaeton last time round

Good question, the car wasn't on my radar until I read the threads on here and I may have missed the chance. However I don't really regret the latest 5, I can even live with the Auto box. Its a howling good car though.
In fairness to VAG (don't hear that often) it was an act of faith (albeit an expensive one) to badge it as a VW.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - turbo11
I drove a couple of Phaetons around a year ago,and I think if you can get one for that price then its a bargain.I thoroughly enjoyed the drive,ride and build quality.
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Thommo
Just did a quick Autotrader. There are PAGES of them at/around 20k.

Main dealer, VW approved vehicles.

Lord thats a hell of a lot of metal for the money.

What would one fetch at auction?
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - madf
I would never buy a Phaeton, VW means peoples car

:-)
madf
2yr old VW Phaeton - under £20K - Imagos
I would never buy a Phaeton, VW means peoples car

hmm..

Anyway, it's amazing when you discuss a reasonably obscure car you see a few about. Saw one today in dark blue and seen 2 or 3 parked up outside my local dealer too recently.