What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Innova - ndbw
This has a very small tank (under one gallon) and no reserve,I intend to carry a sealed 500ml plastic container of petrol whch will give me 8 to 10 miles should I run out.My question is will the petrol go stale in a brimful, ie no air space container?.

ndbw
Honda Innova - Harmattan
Don't know is the straight answer to your question. However, questions of legality and safety spring to mind. Was there not a couple of years ago a company marketing just such a small container for emergency use including contents that were not petrol but an acceptable equivalent fuel for petrol engines? I saw it once in a motoring accessory shop (a dying breed. This presumably satisfied the regulations at the time. I don't know if it is still available in the UK but someone might.
Honda Innova - SteVee
I don't have a striaght answer either - but can you actually get this 500ml sealed container of petrol ?
I guess you could use an old oil container - that should be the right type of plastic - but I doubt that it could be sealed. That would mean you would need to keep it in a ventilated space.
Personally, I'd top the bike up from a 5L can in the garage, and fill that 5L can up when I fill the car. You might even be able to strap the 5L can to the bike for the journey to the garage.
I wouldn't want to keep normal unleaded petrol for more than about 3 months, even if sealed.

I guess that you have to run the tank near empty to make sure that you can get the minimum pump delivery (2 litres?) in ?
Honda Innova - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Millets, FAS etc. sell small screw top aluminium fuel cans intended for hikers. Might be more appropriate than a plastic bottle not intended for petrol.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Honda Innova - Tim Allcott
Yup, Millets bottles look as though they'd do the job, but you'd need to check plastic composition and sealing washer. I believe they sell some specifically for carrying fuel for stoves, and some camping stoves will run on petrol, so they may have just the thing! But don't mix it up with your drinking bottle when you go hiking...
Tim{P}
Honda Innova - ndbw
Thanks for replies,the container from Millets sounds just the job better than the empty engine oil plastic one I was thinking of using,I will fasten it securely in topbox so it does not rattle around,three months storage should be ample as I will only use it during the Summer.

ndbw
Honda Innova - Harmattan
I concur with the advice you have been given. The high octane petrol substitute I was thinking about was more expensive than the combination now suggested. However, I would recommend going for one of the original aluminiun bottles introduced for hikers to carry paraffin for their stoves. These were/are called Sigg bottles after the manufacturer and might be a safer bet for petrol storage in terms of sealing and materials than the inevitable cheaper Chinese copies.