What is it with car dealers????? - Flapdog
I'm looking to buy a new car, and have been looking round for the best price. I found it on the internet and am now in the process of phoning dealers to see what they can do. Even before this I phoned around to see what they had in stock and what was available to test drive. So in total I've been in ocntact with around 8 dealerships.

Not one of these has ever phoned me back. I even went for a test drive with one, I lwft saying I'd think about it, and they took my details and that was the last I heard. This was 4 weeks ago. Even today I've been phoning and still nothing!

Are car sales really that good that they don't need to bother with a private buyer or am I just unlucky? Should I just buy through a broker instead and not bother going to a dealer anymore, after all if they can't phone me back why should I spend my money with them?
What is it with car dealers????? - Stuartli
>>after all if they can't phone me back why should I spend my money with them?>>

Precisely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
What is it with car dealers????? - turbo11
Had the same problems when I was looking for a new car.The only proactive dealerships in the past I have found were the Mazda and BMW dealers I dealt with.The VW,Audi and Honda dealers looked down their noses at me,and seemed totally uninterested in my custom.Hence I purchased the Mazda (BMW before that)
What is it with car dealers????? - madf
Exactlt the same experience. Visited our local Audi dealer.Left name and address. They wrote with details of an offer 4 weeks later. I rang: salesman busy. Left number and was told they would ring back.

NO ring back.

Unbelievable.

In the businesses I worked in the past, that would be a disciplinary matter. It would appear to be matter of coommonplace practise.

Needles to say I am never oing back. (and to make things even worse, I used to have my last Audi serviced there!).

Arrogance. Indifference and cretinism..all rolled into one...imo of course.

And the car industry wonders why it has a poor reputation...
madf
What is it with car dealers????? - Aprilia
If they were desperate for sales then they would ring you, believe me. They work to quotas etc and if they have a fairly full order book then not interested in chasing you. Supply and demand, market forces etc....
If they were desperate for sales then they would ring you, believe me.>>

A car is the second most expensive purchase most people make (third if you start off with SWMBO and then the house) and, therefore, is a purchase that comes around perhaps every three years or so.

So it would seem logical that given the slightest scent of a potential sale that dealership sales staff, especially considering it is a key factor of their employment, would do everything in their power to bring it to a successful conclusion.

Whether they have "a fairly full order book and be not interested in chasing you. Supply and demand, market forces etc" shouldn't make a scrap of difference.
What is it with car dealers????? - Adam {P}
You bought your wife Stuart?

Thai?

;-)
>>Thai? >>

7s 6d down and my wages for the rest of my life...:-)
What is it with car dealers????? - Adam {P}
;-)
What is it with car dealers????? - bell boy
in all the years that i have sold cars i can count on one hand the amount of times ive phoned a customer at their request with a specced car that they have requested only for them to say they are sorted(in 24 hours?)i can also say that most customers that do turn up walk with an air of "you called me you need me attitude",you may get the impression that i dont bother anymore and you would be right,i file their name in the bin when they"ve gone.
I can imagine in a new car dealership the typical customer attitude of you need me as you phoned and i want this this and this would be unbearable.
Any place worth its salt in my opinion doesnt need back up phone calls trying to achieve a sale leave them to double glazing etc types of business
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
>> If they were desperate for sales then they would ring
you, believe me.>>
A car is the second most expensive purchase most people make
(third if you start off with SWMBO and then the house)
and, therefore, is a purchase that comes around perhaps every three
years or so.
So it would seem logical that given the slightest scent of
a potential sale that dealership sales staff, especially considering it is
a key factor of their employment, would do everything in their
power to bring it to a successful conclusion.
Whether they have "a fairly full order book and be not
interested in chasing you. Supply and demand, market forces etc" shouldn't
make a scrap of difference.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Sorry, can't understand your point. People generally work for their own self interest - maximum return for minimum effort.

I used to sell secondhand cars (long time ago) and now sell a few Mercs each year. Sometimes I get a nice one that I know will sell easily for a good price. If I get calls etc then its a case of they come around when it suits me and I don't return calls etc. I don't stand messers - 'wife ringing on behalf of husband' etc etc. If they really want it then they come with the money - cash only, no cheques of any sort! Sounds harsh, but never failed me yet.

What is it with car dealers????? - T Lucas
I dont know how much sales staff typically earn in a franchised dealership,but i sometimes read the job vacancies and the salary offered is often around £40-£50 thousand OTE,i guess a large part of it is going to come from commission earned on each sale+add ons,so maybe they have all the leads that they can cope with.
>>Sorry, can't understand your point. People generally work for their own self interest - maximum return for minimum effort.>>

It's that type of attitude that has sadly led to this country gradually becoming little more than a services industries island.

>>Sorry, can't understand your point. People generally work for their own
self interest - maximum return for minimum effort.>>
It's that type of attitude that has sadly led to this
country gradually becoming little more than a services industries island.

I quite agree. Its the way we have been encouraged to think since around 1979. Anyone who doesn't behave in said manner is generally to be derided these days. 'Greed is good' etc.
I was brought up in the '60's when people gave good service because they wanted to, not because 'this telephone call may be recorded for training purposes'.
>>I was brought up in the '60's when people gave good service because they wanted to, not because 'this telephone call may be recorded for training purposes'.>>

I'm a child of the 1940s when working hard, bring up a family to behave proprly and buy something only when you could afford it were the values set by my parents and many, many others.

As you indicate, this philosophy was carried on for several decades.
What is it with car dealers????? - Roly93
Are car sales really that good that they don't need to
bother with a private buyer or am I just unlucky? Should
I just buy through a broker instead and not bother going
to a dealer anymore, after all if they can't phone me
back why should I spend my money with them?

>>
TO be honest the private buyer is a 'nuisance'to a lot of big dealers, as they just want to supply company and lease vehicles as there is no haggling and pampering required. I do share your frustration.
What is it with car dealers????? - Bill Payer
I sat for a couple of hours in my local (quite small) Mercedes dealer while my car was being serviced recently.
From where I was sitting I could see 5 salespeople sitting at their desks in the showroom, and they where pretty well all on the phone all the time.
They generally seemed to be making (rather than receiving) call after call. I was dying to know who they were ringing - the dealership isn't the busiest in the world - I'm bemused by what on earth they can have been up to.
What is it with car dealers????? - daveyjp
A colleague is just trying to sort out test drives for a lease and he is having the same problems. He wants to test drive a C-Max 1.6 diesel, a Golf Plus 1.9TDi and a Seat Altea 2.0 TDi. Seat have been brilliant and sorted out a two day loan within a day. Arranged with Ford but when he turned up someone had borrowed the 1.6 so he had a 2.0 diesel for a day - excellent poke, but at £18,000 for a mid range model he thought it was very expensive. Arranged a test drive with VW, went yesterday to be told it had been loaned to a customer on Saturday and they didn't know when it would be returned!

He thinks the Golf Plus will be his chosen model as although it's the highest list price the high residual means it's £100 a month cheaper than the C-max.
What is it with car dealers????? - just a bloke
He thinks the Golf Plus will be his chosen model as

I find it funny that even though the dealer is a twonk, they gave the car earmarked for him to test drive to someone else after all and that even though he hasn't actually driven the car, he's already made his mind up about the car he wants. what a waste of time and effort for everyone involved.
What is it with car dealers????? - Altea Ego
Yup

and we wonder why car salesman cant be bothered.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What is it with car dealers????? - Bill Payer
I find it funny that even though the dealer is a
twonk, they gave the car earmarked for him to test drive
to someone else after all and that even though he hasn't
actually driven the car, he's already made his mind up about
the car he wants. what a waste of time and effort
for everyone involved.

I'm sure that 99% (OK, I made that number up, but a lot anyway) of 'customers' are complete time-wasters. So a very small minority are serious potential customers. It's hard for sales people to devote time to serious purchasers because they're drowning in time-wasters (who of course don't generate any income). And while there are people who are prepared to buy from dealers regardless of how they're treated (see above) then things won't improve.
What is it with car dealers????? - boxsterboy
I've been treated badly by some dealers, but OK by others.

In their defence, I think the number of time-wasters exceeds genuine punters massively, and dealers apply the law of averages to the enquiries.

This especially applies to company car lease purchasers, who want a test drive, etc. but who will be placing their business elsewhere. It must be very difficult for a dealer to generate enthusiasm for enquiries like this.
I think Oldman (post further up) has it exactly right - this is just how I am.
With all due respect to other posters, I don't think any of you have been in the car selling business. Car dealers (esp. with the prestige brands) have every jumped-up little prat thinking that the dealer should run around after them and tug forelocks etc etc.
The vast majority of calls/visits to a dealer are from timewaters. A good salesman knows when you are genuine and not just 'ringing around to get prices and specs'.
What is it with car dealers????? - Xileno {P}
May be different when the next downturn comes, can't be long now a lot of economic figures are beginning to look a bit grim. I remember looking for a new car with my father back in 1993, salesmen were pleased to see you walk through the door.
What is it with car dealers????? - Thommo
You think car dealers are bad try buying a bike.

With the honorable exceptions of BMW and Triumph. Big shout for Jack Lilleys in Shepperton best Triumph dealer in UK, it is almost impossible to get a test ride on ANY motorbike.

A major dealer chain which went bust said I could only test ride a bike if I signed a contact to buy it first. They said if I didn't like it they would rip up the contract. I said is it legally binding when I sign it. They said yes. I said so I am relying on you to rip it up then. They said yes.

I wrote to the Suzuki UK MD he wrote back saying tough.

Basically you want to test ride any bike other than BMW or Triumph you need to hire one for the day.

I bought a Triumph and a BMW and sent copies of the sales invoices to the Suzuki UK MD, no reply.

Most bike dealers are in the dark ages.
What is it with car dealers????? - SteVee
>>Most bike dealers are in the dark ages.<<

I agree.
Most are just out for the biggest profit and might just as well be selling photocopiers. Things are even worse when it's time to service the bike.

I'd include H-D / Buell in the list of good guys, even though I've never bought one of their bikes. I'd also agree with your comment on Jack Lilleys.

I wouldn't mind renting the bike for a weekend - but often this is not possible (I wanted a Suzuki DL1000 / Kawasaki KL1000)
What is it with car dealers????? - cheddar
When it comes to making a purchase I go by the spec and price and not whether the salesman is a twonk or not, after all I tend to research the product, usually end up knowing more about it than the salesman, I guess I decide to buy rather than allow myself to be sold to.

Competent aftersales is much more important than a non-twonky salesman IMO.
What is it with car dealers????? - v0n
What is it with car dealers????? - quizman
I think some of the posts from the professionals are amazing. Too busy to ring people when you have said you would is just rude and ignorant, what else have these salesmen got to do. I wish I was their boss, they would soon be out of the door.

People who are timewasters probably become that because of the way they are treated by you. Many salesmen in prestige dealers are jealous of the customer because they can afford a car which you can't. Many salesmen at other dealers are just usless and too thick to bother.

I will tell you salespeople, you have not a clue whether a customer is a timewaster when they first come through the door. I have seen it all, wear working clothes and get ignored, wear a suit and get fawned all over.

I think some of the posts from the professionals are amazing.
Too busy to ring people when you have said you would
is just rude and ignorant, what else have these salesmen got
to do. I wish I was their boss, they would soon
be out of the door.

No they wouldn't. Boss doesn't care so long as you earn your rations and turn a profit.
People who are timewasters probably become that because of the way
they are treated by you. Many salesmen in prestige dealers are
jealous of the customer because they can afford a car which
you can't.

No, they aren't jealous. Many of these salesmen will be taking home more than their customers (who probably get a modest wage and a 3-series or C-class as a 'sweetner') AND they will get a new prestige car to drive around in every few months.

I will tell you salespeople, you have not a clue whether
a customer is a timewaster when they first come through the
door. I have seen it all, wear working clothes and get
ignored, wear a suit and get fawned all over.

That's a myth. You 'qualify' a customer first. Also, not many people wear 'working' clothes these days (i.e. flat cap and donkey jacket - LOL!) - in fact quite the reverse. Its bus and lorry drivers and Dixons salesmen who wear the suits. A lot of 'professionals' wear casual gear to work.
What is it with car dealers????? - Martin Devon
>>of answering my wives questions>>

A bigamist (at the least)?

I appreciate your points - in view of the cost of a car, as I stated earlier, you would think that dealership sales staff would be falling over themselves at the slightest opportunity of a sale.

But that's the general attitude today - that the world will come to your door and not vice versa.
What is it with car dealers????? - v0n
Hey, censors - and just why was my post deleted? No swear words, just valid points.. what on earth is going on on this forum?

{Looking back through the logs, the word that you used where you substituted "ss" for "$$" in an attempt at evading the swearfilter was the reason for the deletion, as per the sticky message on swearing at the top of the page. Further discussion about moderation of this site by email only. However, if it's with regard to the swearing policy this site operates, then quite frankly I'm not interested in having further discussion on it as the policies in place already explain all you need to know. DD}
What is it with car dealers????? - daveyjp
He has already made up his mind purely on the financial aspects of the deal - the Golf provides the most car for the lowest monthly outlay. Nothing will be signed until he's had the car for 24 hours. If the Golf Plus doesn't tick the boxes he will be starting again!
My best mate changes his Mondeos every two years (he and his business partner each have one).

Last year we went to a main North West Ford dealership and the salesman was very helpful, said they had the models he wanted at one of their other dealerships and that he would ring him in a day or so.

No phone call ever came despite a couple of requests by my mate to be rung back.

In the end he went to an Arnold Clark Liverpool dealership and received exactly the treatment he would reasonably have expected and at even better prices.

One of the particular models he wanted was based at a sister dealership some distance away, but this was no problem as it was collected the next day by a driver and delivered to his home.

So the Liverpool dealership sold two Mondeos and had two cracking equivalents in part exchange. Four lots of profit from one basic deal.
What is it with car dealers????? - midlifecrisis
BMW rang me constantly, even after I told them I'd bought a new car (although the lady did laugh when I said I'd bought a Vectra instead!)
What is it with car dealers????? - Xileno {P}
The dealer I use always calls back. Maybe they can smell a bit of money and return custom. I don't wear a suit.
What is it with car dealers????? - wrangler_rover
In January 2001, I was looking to buy a new car, went into some local main dealers, this is what happened:
Skoda, I spent 10 minutes looking all oves a car in an empty showroom, 1 salesman walked from the office & ignored me, a second walked to the office & ignored me, I decided to take my custom elsewhere.
Citroen, I went into the showroom wanting a Saxo, the young enthusiastic salesman took a lot of trouble going through a questionnaire with me & persisted in trying to sell me a Xsara, in the end, I thought the Saxo must be rubbish as he seemed reluctant to sell me one so I moved on.
Honda, I went to the reception, I was told "Fred" would be out to see me shortly, within a minute, another couple arrived announcing that they were here to see Fred, Fred came out & saw them, nobody else offered me a drink or any brochures etc so I moved on.
Fiat, what a delight, the salesman couldn't do enough, take the car out on a test drive for an hour, I bought a new Punto.
What is it with car dealers????? - adverse camber
otoh an existing customer had some problem and was given a loan car at short notice from dealer stock, possibly causing a problem for a possible customer. Could be a (rare) case of a vw dealer providing excellent *customer* service.
What is it with car dealers????? - Deskpilot

This is the other side of the coin.

My local Honda dealer, now unfortunately taken over by another outfit, used to telephone me some every six months or so and opened by saying that this was a courtesy call and asked if I had any problems with the vehicle I had purchased from them.

Admittedly, I wasn't too pleased on occasion but it did indicate that the guy who sold me the car was doing his homework and had obviously diaried his follow ups. This built up a friendly association with the company and, in retrospect, I guess I miss those calls!!!

What is it with car dealers????? - LynxPilot
Credit where it's due. Batchelors Vauxhall of Ripon gave outstanding service. So much so that i bought off them 3 times. Little touches like free carwashes for you (and your family members) while you had a coffee, and as often as you like. They always kept in touch. I left N Yorks some time ago and I've now got an Audi, I have never seen that level of service since (or before).
What is it with car dealers????? - Rodger
Over the last few months i have been looking to buy and it has not been a good experience! There have only been 2/3 people i would have bought from and the old sales addage is "People buy people".
The average sales person is VERY bad at the basic skill of listening to other people. One young woman was so unpleasant we walked out after 5 minutes. Some just babble on about stuff i did not want to know. Some work off a script, that can be hilarious, they just ploughed on no matter what i said. Some have fancy computer systems. And so it went on. Perhaps they recruit the wrong people and do not train them, who knows. Perhaps we are all used to buying off the shelf and so we have ALL lost the art of buying and selling from another human being.
I was always honest about my situation, usually had my partner with me and had £15k to spend.
We pick up the car tommorrow. Why ? The car is not perfect(none of them are) but it is the best package; price , age , spec , reputation But most of all the salesman has been utterley professional throughout several weeks of me dithering about not wanting to spend all that money!!
What is it with car dealers????? - carer
A few years ago we were looking into purchasing an Almera Tino Hurricane (which was a dealer special between the base and next model up). We visited our local Nissan dealer and made some inquires about ordering one. Even though we were paying cash (and by this I mean pound notes on the table) the salesman refused to knock off even £50. I contacted Autosave who I'd heard because they'd linked up with the Camping and Caravanning Club. I gave them a ring and at the appointed time the salesman rang us. We discussed our requirements with him, a couple of days later he rang back and very apologetically stated that he could not get us a Hurricane as it was a dealers special. But could get us a XS (the next model up) at £1800 less than than what the dealer was charging for the Hurricane (a saving of about £2300). Needless to say we agreed the deal and had the car delivered to our door. Not only saving us £1800+, but also made us another £300 px over the dealers offer on our old car sight unseen (all faults fully described over the phone to the sales man). Because of his attitude the salesman for the dealer lost them a sale, which would have been paid in full when the order was placed. The best part is, I took it to the dealers for the first service, and had a walk around the showroom after dropping it off. I ended up speaking to the Manager, who informed me that the salesman had up to £500 he could have knocked of the list price, not a very happy chappie when I left.

Dave
I still think that many of you don't understand the situation.

Recently I was helping a female relative to choose a new small car - 5-door 1.3-1.5 litre, preferably Far Eastern (for reliability).

We looked at the Kia Rio. Quite a nice car. None of the dealers was rude or unhelpful, but the attitude was 'we can sell these easily, take it at list price or go away and don't bother me'. Basically they have their quota and know they can sell them - why bother chasing customers and offering discounts?

Eventually she decided on the Swift, which I also thought was the best buy. None of Suzuki dealers was rude, quite the opposite in fact, but again the general attitude was that 'we can sell every one that we have be allocated'. No interest in discounts (one place offered a tank of petrol..).

Eventually, after many phone calls, I found what seems to be the one Suzuki dealer in the UK who was prepared to offer a serious discount and the order was placed. That was six weeks ago and she still hasn't got the car (two week delivery was promised).
What is it with car dealers????? - Lud
Punter wants to rip off a couple of hundred quid. Salesman wants to rip off a couple of hundred quid.

They are equal.

God how boring.
>>Salesman wants to rip off a couple of hundred quid. >>

You are joking. Surely?

It would be a first otherwise.
What is it with car dealers????? - Flapdog
Well I decided to shun the dealer and go with the broker, and save myself not far short of 5k in the process. Just got to wait for the car to arrive in 6-8 weeks.
What is it with car dealers????? - No FM2R
>>Perhaps they recruit the wrong people and do not train them

In a market where we insist that we scrape every penny out of their profit, where we insist we will not pay one penny for good service, where woudl they get the money from to train people or pay them huge sums of money to get the good ones ?

Everybody says that customer service in this country is rubbish, which it is. What everybody fails to realise is that in other countries people are prepared to pay for service. Not here.

In other countries people won't deal with someone that offers bad service. Not here. We just whinge about it.

And its all about supply and demand - we are offered the cars, service, discount and experience we will pay for. If individuals are not happy with that, then blame the masses who are.

Which of you, when selling a car, would offer a discount of £1,000 if you knew that the next minute would be 10 people along willign to give you your asking price ?

So why would you expect anyone else to do differently ?

Its a different matter if its a BMW Ci and you're prepared to offer just about any discount you can to get shot of it. 8-)

We get the car salesman, the service and the deals we deserve.