What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG PA 1935 - chris_w
I have a friend who has inherited a 1935 MG PA in his posession that is in need of complete restoration. It doesn't have the original engine, it was replaced with a Ford engine many years ago (in excess of 40) due to the original engine constantly failing. It still runs ok and the body work is in good condition for a 71 year old car!

What he wants to know, is how much is this worth before and after restoration? And where would be the best place to advertise this?

Cheers

Chris
MG PA 1935 - bbroomlea{P}
Looking in 'MG enthusiast' a guide of 14-24K is what you would expect to pay for one with a new MoT. Only 2500 built aparently so must be very rare by now.

Lots of classic MG brokers in magazine so may be worth buying a copy and ring around to get an idea of pre-restoration.

Sorry cant be any more help than that
MG PA 1935 - Harmattan
As always it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. MG enthusiasts tend to be very picky so a PA, which is an otherwise desirable MG, with a Ford engine will have no credibility with most of the clubbie-type people. So I would suggest you can forget the running engine aspect and regard this car as one looking for restoration or a complete set of spares for breaking. I have lost touch with MG values in the last few years but would guess around £3000-4000 from an honest buyer if the bodywork/frame/chassis is better than "in need of complete restoration" suggests. Putting it into one of the better classic auctions should get a true value or even if a bit extra if someone with rose-tinted specs and too much enthusiasm happens to be there.

A professional restoration will cost more than the car is worth but do check its history carefully with one of the clubs in case it has any extra historic value.
MG PA 1935 - oldpostie
I just wondered if it was my old one. That had a Ford E93A s.v. engine. It was a 1935 car, and was rewired in 1971 by a firm in Northampton. I can't remember the number but I think it was VL something. I had a job to get tyres for it, which caused the then Chief Constable of Northamptonshire, John Gott, to order that the car should remain in the stationyard until I had replaced a tyre. I think I removed the car once the Chief had gone. (He was a former racing driver, and was reported for speeding between Corby and Kettering, but was never prosecuted for it !)
MG PA 1935 - chris_w
I'm told that it was his brothers for over 40 years - so unlikely to be the same.. but it seems as though the ford engines were a popular replacement for the original.

Thanks for all of the replies, I'm sure he'll be interested to know it's worth, as he has no intention of spending any time (or money) on restoring it, but would be keen to see it go to an enthusiast.

I'll recommend that he buys a couple of mags to get a feel for where and how he should sell it. Can anyone recommend any good websites for additional info?