blacked out car windows - g6dlt
Can anyone give me any information with the regauds to the blacking out of car windows and if a new law as come into effect on this
Many thanks
Jeff
blacked out car windows - L'escargot
Let me cover my ears while I think about it! {Shouting in topmost post amended - DD}
--
L'escargot.
blacked out car windows - Dwight Van Driver
Legislation on this subject is contained at Regulation 32(10) Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 that windows of motor vehicles shall have a Visual Transmission of Light (VTL) of not less than:

Windscreens of vehicles first used after 1.4.1985 75 % and all other windows 70%

For vehicles first used before that date the fiqure is 70% all round.

Currently VOSA/Police are having a blitz on this and if caught offending vehicle put off the road until such time as law complied with.

Phone VOSA 0870 60 60 440 and ask VOSA for their informative pamphlet on "Window Tinting".

dvd
blacked out car windows - cheddar
How does this apply to privacy glass which I guess has a different VTL one way than the other.
blacked out car windows - Dwight Van Driver
.... should have pointed out that amongst the exemptions :
... in relation to windows through which the driver when in the drivers seat is unable at any time to see any part of the road on which the vehicle is waiting or proceeding.....

dvd

blacked out car windows - adverse camber
This was covered a while ago. I was not aware that 'privacy' glass has different properties in different directions ?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35490
blacked out car windows - SlidingPillar
It doesn't, the glass equivelent of a diode does not exist.

Privacy through tinting works because you have to get the light into the car, so reduced by the tint, to illuminate the occupants, and then out. So it has been lessened both ways. As a result from outside the inside of vehicles with tints appears dark with all windows closed, yet your view from inside is not as dark.

blacked out car windows - caesar
Cant understand why people have privacy glass on windows.
I think it really spoils the looks of a car when you see horrid darkened windows at the back and lighter ones at the front.give me good old tinted glass any time.
blacked out car windows - cheddar
It doesn't, the glass equivelent of a diode does not exist.

One way glass?