What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lexus Diesel - Tony
Where can i get one of these fantastic Peugeot/Citroen or VW/Audi diesel engines to fit into a Lexus GS 300,im convinced that over 70mpg and improved driveability will make my conversion a sure fire winner.These engines must almost be the Holy Grail,they are that good.
Re: Lexus Diesel - Dave N
You're taking a risk on this site!

But I know where you're coming from. You might actually get 70.341mpg on a run, but dropping to 68.74mpg around town with the a/c on. You could get to Birmingham and back on 37.33p of diesel, and save the planet to boot! And you wouldn't know it was a diesel from the inside. With that diesel rattle, you might also be able to pick up a fare or two, reducing your running costs even further.
Re: Lexus Diesel - JohnL
Its not as daft as it sounds
If you want to sell cars in Europe you have to have an oil burner in your range
Around 50% of cars sold in Spain are diesel and its similar in other Euroland markets
Why do you think the best diesel engines come with BMW on the tailgate
Re: Lexus Diesel - andrew wills
so why doesn't Lexus do diesel versions of their range?
Re: Lexus Diesel - David W
Sorry Tony, couldn't resist it. The forthright must take some stick now and again.

Regards,

David
Re: Lexus Diesel - JohnL
Good question
Japans car manufacturers are very Clarksonesque when it comes to diesels but they are now changing although as Lexus would no doubt be obliged to offer Toyota versions I can understand their reticence
Re: Lexus Diesel - CM
Jap diesels

The 4.2 diesel in the Land cruiser is a very good engine although not the most powerful which shows that they can make decent lumps. also the engine in black cabs is often made by toyota. I talked to one cabbie who had done 300k miles without changing a thing ('cept for the oil) on the engine.
Re: Lexus Diesel - andrew wills
and it could be called LexEl - seriously, thanks for replies - I recently acquired IS200 auto and adore it, except for boot interior shape and rear screen angle that collects rain drops
Re: Lexus Diesel - Pete
They are not considered refined enough , or reliable to fit to a Lexus. Deisel power is only realy for the poor.
Re: Lexus Diesel - Todd
Wish I was poor enough to afford a Merc S-Class 320 CDI.
Re: Lexus Diesel - boost
Try some Rainex on the back screen - my Accord is similarly shaped and does/ did the same thing.
Re: Lexus Diesel - T.Lucas
The 2 biggest markets in the world,USA and Japan regard diesel engines as ok for trucks and/or workmen vehicles and no self respecting Yank or Jap would want a luxury car with coal burner up front.Friend had to replace a leaky injector on a P406 today,HDi thingy,£240,not bad at 65000 miles.
Re: Lexus Diesel - Robert
Where do you buy Rainex?