Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - mtbjeff
I've been offered a '92 caravelle which looks in good condition.

But it's the petrol 2.5 Litre version and it's done 192K miles...

What is the life expectancy of these engines? Will it last another 50K?

Thanks for any advice!
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - oldtoffee
There aren't many petrol ones on Autotrader showing their mileage but anyway, buying that old with a big mileage is always going to be a bit of a gamble just how much is the question. If on close inspection it looks in good nick that's a good start and if this can be backed up with documented service history with receipts and previous MOTs to confirm the miles and that it has been looked after then it's going to be less of a risk than one with no "provenance". It's nearly done 200K so 250K shouldn't be out of the question. Follow HJ's advice in How to Buy & Sell Cars. Check it over very carefully and test drive it thoroughly - if the engine, gearbox, brakes and suspension all appear OK then you can think about gambling on nothing major going wrong so just change the oil and filter every 6K or 6 months. If the cambelt is due a change budget the cost of this into acquiring the vehicle.
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - local yokel
You might be better off asking this at www.justkampers.co.uk - all VW campers or www.brick-yard.co.uk/ - just for this model.

I nay event it's going to need some kind of work in the next 50k, for sure. It was designed to last 7-8 years max, I expect!
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - Sprice
How much they asking?
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - boxsterboy
Caravelles can do mega miles as long as they are serviced properly, but usually the diesels. Mostly ex-private hire, that's why the ads rarely list a mileage. My 2.4D Transporter had 175,000 when I bought it off its first owner with FSH. No problems for the next 30,000 before I sold it for what I paid (the only vehicle I have not suffered depreciation on!).

At this mileage most suspension parts should have been overhauled/replaced, as well as 'routine' clutches, exhausts, brakes, etc.

Check the history and try and get a compression test. But if it's cheap enough, maybe it's worth a gamble.
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - mtbjeff
It's going for about £1500

It's a LHD too :-)

Thanks for all the advice everyone, this forum (and HJ) has always been really helpful
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - Collos25
I have seen these in Germany that have gone round the clock both petrol and diesel doing airport taxi runs.
Buying s/h, How many miles is too many? - Xileno {P}
Depends how it's been driven. If a sensible driver has had it and it has been serviced properly, then 250K upwards is possible.

However, my brother can kill a car in 60K so it's really impossible to say.