What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
honda mileage - dannyboy
can anyone tell me what kind of mileage i can realistically expect from a J reg 1.5 lsi honda civic? it's on 152,000 now and i would like to know if it will carry on happily for at least another 50k if looked after before needing a rebuild. thanks.
honda mileage - geoff1248
At this mileage it's more a case of how the previous owners looked after it rather than what you do from now on. Do you know any history?
honda mileage - dannyboy
not yet, i'm waiting for the owner to call me back now as he's not around at the mo, he's advertised it as a good runner so i'm assuming there's somethimg there he's noticed but doesn't want to fix as my last civic was an excellent runner at half the mileage, though i could be just pessimistic
honda mileage - Sprice
So its up for sale? How much is he asking? Loads of these on ebay so don't pay too much. No more than £500 anyway. To answer your question, yeah these engines can easily do 200k.
honda mileage - dannyboy
thats great, thanks, i bought it in the end, after looking over it it had a really beaten body as the guy obviously couldn't drive it but all i can see so far is that it'll need a bit of tlc and a new bumper so for the £300 i paid hopefully i'll get a couple of years reliable, comfortable (god i sound old) and low tax motoring, goes like a rocket compared to my old 14oo civic too.
honda mileage - type's'
Have a look at this website - www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php
Many records of ultra high mileage Hondas - most (if not all) are in the States or Canada where 3000 mile oil changes are common though.
honda mileage - dannyboy
that's a great site, thanks for posting, i intend to keep the oil changed every 6 months anyway so that should keep it going.
honda mileage - happytorque
Can anyone tell me why the entire population of America and Canada seem to be changing their engine oil every 3,000 miles, when we in the UK are mostly happy to leave it 12,000 or even 20,000 miles? The cars are the same....so why the big difference? It doesnt make sense.
cheers
Trev
honda mileage - TheOilBurner
Probably for the same reason many of us still change our oil at 5-10k miles even when the manufacturer advises 20,000 or even 30,000 miles.

Simple answer - we don't trust what we're being told. The Americans are obviously even more suspicious of these extended intervals than we are. As consumers they seem to be sharper and more demanding than us, so maybe they're right?

IIRC, it's even common practice in the US to take oil samples and have them analysed to check the state of the oil and look for contaminants or other warning signs of mechanical trouble!
honda mileage - type's'
I also think it may have something to do with the Company car culture over here when Manufacturers are pandering to Fleet Managers and keeping their costs down - 1 or 2 oil changes for the period they keep the car.
I believe that in the USA/Canada more cars are privately owned and so to make em last longer they change oil more frequently.
200K miles not uncommon with regular oil changes.