What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Jalopy - msvan
Does anyone know what happened to Jalopy and Old Car magazine?
Jalopy - sierraman
They..ahem...folded.

I still have some Jalopies lying about,an amusing read.It was a hobby mag and the editor,whose name escapes,had had enough and stopped doing it.I can't see modern cars providing fodder either,no bodging a carb with a baked bean can or whatever.
Jalopy - Lud
Oddly enough I met the guy who started it, and naturally took an interest being a hack myself in those days and liking cars, but I quickly discovered that he didn't really like cars much. That was the trouble: he wasn't really interested. Quite a nice chap as I remember but naturally I didn't take to him. Waste of a good idea.
Jalopy - JLC
Seems a bit odd that someone who didn't like cars would start a car magazine! You sure you weren't talking to the bloke from What Ferret?
Jalopy - Lud
Seems a bit odd that someone who didn't like cars would
start a car magazine! You sure you weren't talking to the
bloke from What Ferret?

I thought it was odd too. The annoying thing so often is that the person with the energy isn't really interested in the actual idea. The person who likes the idea just carps after the event (see this post). Really really annoying.
Jalopy - mare
Great mag, i found mine last year in the loft and Ebayed. In true Jalopy fashion, i got more than i paid for them (and no sawdust required)
Jalopy - BobbyG
What is a Jalopy? The only time I have ever heard the word was when I used to read the Hardy Boys Books!!!

Is it an old American car?
Jalopy - mfarrow
What is a Jalopy?

Ta-da:...

dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jalopy

:-)
Jalopy - mfarrow
>> What is a Jalopy?

This had me looking...

www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-jal1.htm

I think naming them after a town sounds the most plausible.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Jalopy - mrmender
My God i was going to get around to posting a thread on Jalopy magazine. I suscribed to the magazine and have a few copies left.
As to names of people involved the name Frank Wentworth rings a bell?
I loved the magazine, the 2 best bits for me where the car by car breakdown for Jalopyists, they had 2 spoof cars one was the Earnshaw diamond made some where in yorkshire with a diamond wheel configuration! & the other was the Contadini A rare car made in Venice, Now as a Welsh speaking welshman i think there must have been a welsh connection as Contadini meaqns somthing very rude in Welsh! (i'm not going to go into detail here)
The other bit i loved was Skoda the Scrapyard dog cartoon Character. His master kept a scrapyard & it was Sckoda's job to find bit! In one sketch he found some illegal substances in the glove box of a car some hippies had brought & ate them, and proceeded to have a "out of dogs body experience"
Graet stuff! There must be enough talent here to start it agian
Jalopy - mare
Bore da Menderman!

Ah, the Earnshaw, a diamond motor! And Skoda was very Viz like.

I thought that the magazine was a great barometer of the times i.e. the early 90's: I remember that I was struggling to keep a Chevette on the road, my mortgage was £120 per month, but still a quarter of my earnings and working in construction meant that 3 out of your 10 mates would get the P45. A cheaply produced magazine about old cars ran by people on a budget fitted in just fine.

I remember the name Frank Wentworth. One guy had a Herald that featured a lot too.

Jalopy - jlc
Contadini may well be a rude word in Welsh, but as you say, the spoof car supposed to have been made in Venice, where the streets are famously full of water. A 'contadino' is an Italian peasant!
Jalopy - mrmender
Contadini may well be a rude word in Welsh, but as
you say, the spoof car supposed to have been made in
Venice, where the streets are famously full of water. A 'contadino'
is an Italian peasant!

Yes the original bit in Jalopy states that the Contadini's were transported from the factory by Gondola! & 2 were rumoured to have fallen off.... Wherre are they now?....& i prefer my thoughts that a welshman was involved somewhere with naming the contadini
Jalopy - jlc
Bet there are plenty of Earnshaw Diamonds available on e-bay.
Jalopy - Lud
mm you are a man of many talents... do you think the word contadini might replace pink fluffy dice when describing deplorable or despicable individuals?

We already have carp. Do you think we will get away with bringing contadini into the argot?
Jalopy - Dynamic Dave
Back to motoring discussion please. DD.
Jalopy - Lud
Of course I meant deplorable or despicable drivers, garage owners, legislators with power to torture motorists and myrmidons of the law and virtual bodies like councils which exercise the mighty will of the people in curbing bourgeois individualism (as expressed in private car ownership).
Jalopy - mrmender
mm you are a man of many talents... do you think
the word contadini might replace pink fluffy dice when describing deplorable
or despicable individuals?
We already have carp. Do you think we will get away
with bringing contadini into the argo

Maybe worth a go BUT we Welsh may get offended1
So how about some of getting together and having a go at doing something similar? I'm sure there is enough material here to get it off the ground. Your a Journo arn't you?
Jalopy - jlc
To get back to magazines (Jalopy was almost a magazine, as I remember it), someone said that Old Car was relaunched a couple of years back, but it certainly didn't appear in shops around here.
Jalopy - Lud
Maybe worth a go BUT we Welsh may get offended1
So how about some of getting together and having a go
at doing something similar? I'm sure there is enough material here
to get it off the ground. Your a Journo arn't you?

Not these days mm, seem to be a translator these days mostly. Yr suggestion has some appeal but I'm afraid would quickly cause dissension as writing to a deadline isn't for everyone.

I had no idea the Welsh were so possessive about their oaths and epithets. I learned Welsh for a few weeks in 1950 but as everyone else in the village school spoke it fluently and I didn't know a word I didn't get very far. However I can still spell, and pronounce, the name Llanfairpwllgwygyllgogerychwyndrobwll-llantisiliogogogoch. I wrote that down without looking it up. But it's a far cry from that to starting a journal!
Jalopy - Robertx

Jalopy came back in the form of an internet based classic car magazine. Not the same as the old magazine.

www.thejalopy.com

Jalopy - edlithgow

Jalopy came back in the form of an internet based classic car magazine. Not the same as the old magazine.

www.thejalopy.com

I had a quick scan of the brake fluid article. Quite a few mistakes and some apparent nonsense. For example

"Another side effect is that silicone is more compatible than the glycol based fluids, it might give you a spongier feeling pedal or lever.

What you can’t do as mentioned above is mix it with any glycol based fluids as they are not compatible with each other. This could lead to total brake failure."

Doesn't appear to make any sense. Compressible was probably what they meant Not impressed with the proofreading.

From the general meaning of "Jalopy" I'd think it would be pretty close to "Bangernomics".

I posted on the Bangernomics website but I don't think its demise was entirely my fault. There just wasn't the interest in an idea who's time has largely passed.

Edited by edlithgow on 05/02/2022 at 03:35