What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Sunday silliness - ian (cape town)
Amazing!
I've just seen an old triumph spitfire - painted up in red and yellow - the driver and passenger were dressed as noddy and big ears (albeit with sunglasses!)
I laughed so much I nearly wet myself!
Ian (Toytown)
Re: Sunday silliness - Ronnie Courtney
Ian - You've got strong competition over here! Correct me please anyone who heard differently, but I believe that I heard in passing a news report earlier today to the effect that the motorists' friend, Mr "Brainstorm", is advocating free heroin for addicts.... If true, presumably the train of thought is that adoption of such a policy would leave him even more time to concentrate on other "more important issues".

Come to think of it, maybe your Spitfire driver and passenger have already made a start on the free issue ..... unless of course the one with Big Ears was our President (Self-selected) having lost his way on his triumphal tour of Africa, having carelessly left A Campbell at home to pull the Vice President's, sorry, Deputy PM's strings in his absence. And Noddy? Well*someone* has to be there to say "Yes, Prime Minister"!

Regards

Ronnie
Re: Sunday silliness - ChrisR
Ronnie

Heroin addicts are already entitled to free methodone, which is a synthesized form of heroin. It gets them away from the dealers and means they don't have to keep breaking into people's houses. It doesn't work with all of them, but drug addiction is an illness, like alcoholism, and has to be treated. The best way to make sure addicts succeed in kicking their habit is to stabilize their lives first. That's what methodone is supposed to do.

I have some experience working with people in this situation, and believe me, in many cases you wouldn't know they are junkies. Many work in responsible, well-paid jobs, and are pillars of the community. Yet their first stop on the way to work is to pick up their "medication." I'm not sure how this affects their driving, since they are now "high" as such, just taking enough to keep them steady.

Phew, thought I'd lost the motoring thread, there.

Chris
Ronnie

Heroin addicts are already entitled to free methodone, which is a synthesized form of heroin. It gets them away from the dealers and means they don't have to keep breaking into people's houses. It doesn't work with all of them, but drug addiction is an illness, like alcoholism, and has to be treated. The best way to make sure addicts succeed in kicking their habit is to stabilize their lives first. That's what methodone is supposed to do.

I have some experience working with people in this situation, and believe me, in many cases you wouldn't know they are junkies. Many work in responsible, well-paid jobs, and are pillars of the community. Yet their first stop on the way to work is to pick up their "medication." I'm not sure how this affects their driving, since they are now "high" as such, just taking enough to keep them steady.

Chris
Ronnie

Chris
Re: Sunday silliness - Tom Shaw
Heroin addicts are stupid losers who could give up the habit as easily as I could give up smoking if I choose. They do not get free heroin or methadrone; we pay for it out of our taxes. If they steal to feed their habit, I would rather my fuel tax is used to keep them in a prison cell rather than indulge them in their "pleasures."

Isn't it funny how one gets more right wing as one ages?

>
>
>
> >
>
>
>
>
>
Tom

Except that at least one of the addicts I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with worked in a very well-paid job, and contributed plenty of taxes. He was far from being a "stupid loser" as you so eloquently, compassionately, and rather ignorantly put it. In fact he was more likely to survive his entire working life, continuing to pay taxes all the while, than if he had been a smoker. I suspect also that the cost of the methodone was far less than the cost of a protracted bout of emphesema (sp?) or lung cancer. On "street" H, though, he'd have been in a mess, costing the taxpayer a lot. He was, I'll admit, an exception, but many either hold down jobs that they couldn't manage without methodone, or else are victims of some kind of abuse, psychological disorders, family catastrophe, or just plain old low IQ. There but for the grace of God.

Chris
See my answer to Mark. I think I may be developing Faciast tendencies.
Re: Sunday silliness - Tomo
Good. It just takes some longer than others!
Re: Sunday silliness - Mark (Brazil)
I don`t often disagree with you Tom, but this time we`re not quite on the same page.

When I was young and dumb, as opposed to old and dumb, through my own stupidity I had a motorcycle accident. It was pretty severe.

A few years ago, some 20 years after the accident, I had to have an operation on my arm to repair damage from that stupid act.

If a Heroin addict got addicted as an idiot youth, surely we should owe him a similar care in later life ?

I would only agree where one is talking of someone who will not, and doesn`t want to, help themselves. They can die in the gutter for all I care.

However, someone who stupidly got addicted, trashed their life, and now wishes to be unaddicted needs all the help they can get and, IMHO, should get it.

The analogy with cigarettes fails because, with certain exceptions, cigarettes do not stop you from passing as a normal human being and holding down and job and/or life.

I like the point made earlier, and I think it is valid, that if someone wants to give up heroin, then the first thing is to stabilise their life before taking on the stress of giving up an addiction.

If you lost your job, your wife left you, and your house was repossessed, you wouldn`t consider that the right time to give up smoking cigarettes.

And I smoke, a lot, and I have failed to give up many times. Also, about 4 years ago I got addicted to morphine after a bad accident in the mountains. Giving up was one of the least funny things I have ever had to do - ask my wife. And I did it with a stable, successful life and home, with a wife, with doctors, in hospital.

The only qualification for help, IMO, is the will, want, need, desire, drive, whatever to give up.

Mark.
It's my age, Mark. Give it another few years and I will be advocating that they should all be shot.

How's fatherhood?
Re: Sunday silliness - Mark (Brazil)
Quite frankly, scary.

Why aren`t they born talking ? How on earth are you supposed to know the difference between waaaaah (dirty diaper) and waaaaah (hungry) and waaaaah (leave me alone you big hairy git, I want to sleep) ??

And considering she`s like 10 days old, it took her about 3 seconds to work out that I don`t have breasts and therefore, to all intents and purposes, I am a complete waste of space unworthy of attention.

But, oh that smile.............
Mark

Sounds wonderful.

>it took her about 3 seconds to work out that I don`t have breasts and >therefore, to all intents and purposes, I am a complete waste of space >unworthy of attention.

I must say I'm quicker than that.

Chris
Re: Sunday silliness - Ronnie Courtney
Well, Chris, you certainly made your point, I'm saying you certainly made your point, and I don't like to repeat myself ...

More seriously, I've been aware for quite some time of the significance of methodone/methadone (neither of which words I heard this morning) and its uses, and would be as interested as you to know how it affects one's driving ability (and how it shows up in testing compared with heroin). More specifically, I'm still hoping to discover whether I heard the broadcast correctly and how, taking the additional clarification we are now *both* seeking into account, this interacts with a crusade (unlike President Bush, I use the word advisedly) against the commission of motoring offences of all types.

Yours, still in search of enlightenment

Ronnie
Sorry about that, Ronnie. The mouse button jammed, so of course I hit it again, and again, before I realised the pointer was still over the "post" button. D'oh.

Chris
Re: Sunday silliness - Tomo
You mean enjoying motoring, I take it......
fascisti! - ian (cape town)
what have I wrought? :)
BTW, this appeared over XMas...

www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_i...3

Nice to see it went to a good home!
(albeit they can't spell kubelwagen!)
Re: fascisti! - THe Growler
Ian,

Was this before or after you gave the Castle Lager a nudge? :-)
Re: fascisti! - ian (cape town)
Growler,
this is the land of strange things...
a few years ago, a cheese company had a big truck, with a large block of cheese (fibreglass model) on the back. It used to drive around town, with three blokes dressed as mice, on motorscooters, chasing after it... Bizarre!
Re: fascisti! - mybrainhurts
Returning to Brunchstropp for a moment.............Before he was appointed Chief Con of North Wales, he was Assistant Chief Con in Cleveland. At that time, he needed to be in the public eye in his quest for promotion. He chose the subject of drugs, proposing that the "war" was lost and all drugs should be legalised.

Now he's Top Con in N Wales, his crusade against speed keeps him in the limelight.

When he gets to the Met, I wonder if he'll shut up and give us all a rest.................