What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW Bore - Jon
I quote from car-by-car breakdown....

M52-engined 320i, 323i and 328i from December 1994/April 1995 may suffer premature bore wear due to high amounts of sulphur in some UK petrol. Solved by replacement block with steel-lined bores. 328is from April 1998 and 323is from September 1998 fitted with 'EU3' steel lined bores.

So, call me short of a full load, but what exactly should I avoid from dec 94/apr 95 or everything until april 98 (328is) and sept 98 (323is) when 'EU3' steel lined bores were fitted? What about the interim? Bearing in mind I'm looking at 97 or 98 R reg of 328 or 323. Can't stretch to Sept 98 anyway!

Mr Confused.
Re: BMW Bore - Jon

spot the mistake, I'm looking at 97 - can't stretch to 98 ......doh !!
Re: BMW Bore - richard turpin
Actually the work was carried out under warranty even though the mileage was higher than qualified AND there was a gap in the service record. I think that particular BMW garage were short of work at the time.
Meanwhile a thought .
Since it is connected with sulphur in the petrol, maybe the answer is LPG convertion.
There can't be any sulphur in LPG. Is this the answer?
Reply from HJ and JS appreciated.
Re: BMW Bore - Honest John
Avoid any Pre 1999 M52 that hasn't already had a replacement block with steel bore liners.

HJ
Re: BMW Bore - richard turpin
The work costs £3,200 at BMW main dealer for a 328. Of course it may never happen. What I want to know is which petrol to buy or avoid. (My 328 is Jan 98 build so I'm just out of luck.) Meanwhile I'm using fully synthetic oil every 5000 miles in the vain hope that this will protect the cylinders. If I knew which petrol to buy, I would do that too.
Re: BMW Bore - Paul Richards
I recently wrote to BMW Technical Services Manager requesting which fuel the company could recommend and whether they could endorse any fuel additive ?
The reply could have been written by a politician as it was totally non comittal and I am left little the wiser!!
Re: BMW Bore - Jon

So, there's no chance that the work may have been carried out under
warranty?
Is there an alternative, to the ultimate driving machine?