What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
starting prob. golf mk2 1.6 - doris
Have replaced battery on this vehicle 2.5 yrs ago as origanally engine would turn over ok at first but if it did not start first time it would then sound like the battery is U/S so i replaced it. Have lived with this since i bought this car. Could it be knackerd starter, its the origanal item. hope this all makes sense.
starting prob. golf mk2 1.6 - steveo3002
well first off somewhere like halford will test your battery to make sure its good

then i suggest you replace the battery earth and positive cable...doesnt need to be genuine, thicker the better , a auto electrical place should knock up a pair for a drink. i have 2 golfs and done it to then , makes a big differance as the battery leads werent very to start with

starting prob. golf mk2 1.6 - welderjames
Connections,connections connections,make sure battery/starter/earth leads are all good,if any connections are dodgy you will have a weak start,,give it a try wont cost anything,only 15 mins of your time.
starting prob. golf mk2 1.6 - Negger
Once had a similar problem. Eventually tracked it down to the strands within the main lead to the starter motor being almost completely corroded through, but inside the insulation so not visible from outside. Only discovered it by completely removing the lead!