What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lights On buzzer. - David W
Has anyone noticed one of those buzzers about in the shops that warns when you open the car door with the lights on? Tried Halfords and many other places locally but no joy.

David
Re: Lights On buzzer. - John S
David

I'm sure Ford used to sell them as an accessory, and maybe they lurk in other manufacturers 'accessory lists' still.

Other option is Maplins, the electronics suppliers perhaps - based in Southend I think.

Regards

John
Re: Lights On buzzer. - David W
Thanks John,

Maplins are online so I might try them, their site is painfully slow though.....and I usually end up with an order of £75 by the time I've "just had a few of those, they'll be handy".

David
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Tomo
www.maplin.co.uk
Re: Lights On buzzer. - tonyh
David
I have recently bought a lights on warning buzzer from a Motorworld shop.It was made by Cosmic and cost about £4
HTH Tony H
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Robert
Try a Vauxhall dealer. Its a simple plug in buzzer that is the same size as a relay. It has three connections:

Ignition
Lights on
Ground

Its activated when the ignition is off, the lights are on and the ground connection made. The grounding is done by the drivers door switch having two contacts. One will be for the interior light, the other for the buzzer. Dont be tempted to link the connections into a single door switch connector - buy a new one with two connectors. The ground connection is made through the body of the switch when it is screwed into the car door frame.

Hope this helps.
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
David,

Oh dear, has SWMBO got a bat flattery on the Polo ?!!

I used to keep the Cosmic buzzer, and just MIGHT still have one somewhere in the van or garage. Will have a look tomorrow and get back to you, but no promisses !

Regards, Adam
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Brian
What do you want one of those for?
If I open the door with the lights on it is because I want to open the door with the lights on and that damn buzzer annoys the Hell out if me!
Adam,

No it's me, I'm doing a weeks post purchase trial before she has it. Also want to do the timing belt, fit a set of tyres and 4 mudflaps before SWMBO starts to run the thing.

I've been shouted back to the car time and again already for leaving the lights on.

Thing is Brian the light switch doesn't look much different on or off and there is no tell-tale on the dash. If you use lights in dull conditions then park up in town close to something it's hard to see they are on.

It's the same with these manual window things. At least our six year old was able to comfort us that she knew how to work these special windows you wound down.

David
Re: Lights On buzzer. - peter
Make your own! A diode @ 10p, an electronic buzzer @ 100p (sorry no pounds on this keyboard). If I remember correctly it is a polo? The parking lights on the indicator switch is the biggest problem! Do it with 2 diodes then. This assumes the door light switch just goes to ground when door is open and has no associated alarm circuitry.

Sorry no wiring diagrams to hand here abroad.
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Lee H
Ah sorry peter, I seem to be repeating you.
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Bog Wheeler
I fitted a buzzer to my Polo (and to our Golfs before that). It's easy. Like Peter suggested, get a £1 buzzer and a 10p diode from Tandy. Run a wire from a front side-light through the bulkhead and connect the diode and buzzer in series to the wire which goes to the door switch. Make sure you get the diode the right way round so that the current flows from the side light to ground when the door is opened with the lights on.
Indicator side lights - Lee H
David,

Does the Polo also have the single side light stay on thing? If you park with an indicator still in an on position, does it keep the side lights on one one side of the car?

Something else to consider when you're looking for the buzzer.

Lee.
Re: Lights On buzzer. - KB
I believe it does have the "indicator/parking light arrangement as mentioned by Lee. Also, the light switches are such that it's not difficult to accidentally leave the rear fog or screen heater switched on, due to the small and not very visible warning light built in to the switch.

KB
Spot on KB, not for years have I noticed trouble remembering to turn things off.

I had wondered about fitting a set of led's in the spare switch position for HRW, rear fog and lights. Then there is the daft indicator/parking light to kill somehow.

David
David, I can't imagine you having too much trouble overcoming the 'indicator/parking light' facility. I didn't then and haven't now, got a wiring diagram for the Polo, but if you haven't already got the Haynes I'm sure you soon will have. If all else fails I would 'act dumb' (not too difficult for me) and get hold of a VW service advisor to ask if there's an easy fix, and twist his arm to ask the electrical bod in the workshop.

KB.
Re: Lights On buzzer. - Big Vern
How handy are you? Maplins do a vellman kit which you solder the parts on to the pcb yourself, loadsa instructions so it is worth a go, costs £9.99. What year is the polo, I have found on the earlier polos the easiest place is on the back of the cigar lighter, as it has all the required wires on it or near by.
PS, If you can't get hold of a buzzer, come back and next time I go to a certain large distributor I have access to, I'll look there.
Vern,

It's a June '89. I've got to get behind the dash to upgrade the stereo/speakers so I'll look then.

Thanks KB, I'll let you know.

David
The Maplin part number for the lights on buzzer is VF24B (pg 594 of current catalogue) While you are in there I can also recomend the Frost idicator, Part number VE04E also £9.99. These Vellman kits include basic soldering tips as part of the instructions. Do not be tempted to cut the loom, use the blue snap lock plastic tap on crimps (pack of 10 maplin code AR21X £1.49). The lights on kit can be fitted behind the illuminated cigar lighter or behind the dash mounted light switch (prise out with 2 flat screw drivers, it is held in by clips on the left and right) on the 89 polos, note if you do fit it behind the light switch ensure you provide some strain relief with cable ties or tape or the weight to the buzzer kit will pull the contacts out of the switch after a period of time. If you need help with identifying wires etc email me direct and I will check for you, as I cannot remember of the top of my head. Once this is fitted you will find that you leave the lights on for just a second or two after you turn off the ignition to hear the 'peeps' get higher pitched and fading away as the capacitors discharge. (sad but true)
P.S. www.maplin.co.uk for online ordering or local store locator

P.P.S. other electronics stores are available ie Tandy / radio shack or whatevere they calls themselves, fast eddies, etc etc